DAK Needs More Than Blue Aliens

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm wondering how they're going to create walk around characters because lets face it, this is disney and my god if little Susie and tommy can't meet the characters parents will be abitchin'.

Maybe Cameron is developing characters that can be turned into costumed or face actors for the sequels. I just don't see how they're gonna pull off a Na'vi actor on stilts with neck and arm extensions. They're not universal (the transformers. C'mon. Coolest costumes ever.)

Also does anyone know how to program a word into iPad so it'll auto abbreviate? I'm already sick of typing out Na'vi.

doctornick

I'm completely with BrianLo. I would love to see a "mini-Fantasyland" type area there with 3-4 dark rides based on animals (Jungle Book, Lion King, Fantasia and maybe one featuring the dogs and cats from Disney movies). They could do them using old tech – like Peter Pan or Pooh.

They could probably do the entire area for much less than The Little Mermaid cost if they would try to look at quantity (instead of spending hundreds of millions) and not go nuts on crazy expensive tech and elaborate outside theming.

My idea: A land called "Critter Country" themed to a North American/European type temperate forest (yes, sort of like CMM but not with the camp aspect). This can be small in size -- I'm picturing it being on the east side of the park (in between the FOTLK and Pandora) across the eastern bridge from Discovery Island that is currently backstage.

Among the attractions, I think something like bringing back the Pocohontas stage show and maybe 2 dark rides themed to something among Bambi/Lady & the Tramp/101 Dalmations/The Aristocats/The Rescuers/Fox & the Hound/Chip & Dale. They could have the requisite meet and greet. And probably a counter service restaurant.

If they were willing to have a non-IP theme for an attraction, I would suggest a Bigfoot themed ride. I picture that being a whimsical ride as you search for Bigfoot.

I think something on a small scale like this could be a quick (2 years) addition to DAK as relatively low costs and can bring the ride count to a number that would justify the longer hours on the horizon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My idea: A land called "Critter Country" themed to a North American/European type temperate forest (yes, sort of like CMM but not with the camp aspect). This can be small in size -- I'm picturing it being on the east side of the park (in between the FOTLK and Pandora) across the eastern bridge from Discovery Island that is currently backstage.

Among the attractions, I think something like bringing back the Pocohontas stage show and maybe 2 dark rides themed to something among Bambi/Lady & the Tramp/101 Dalmations/The Aristocats/The Rescuers/Fox & the Hound/Chip & Dale. They could have the requisite meet and greet. And probably a counter service restaurant.

If they were willing to have a non-IP theme for an attraction, I would suggest a Bigfoot themed ride. I picture that being a whimsical ride as you search for Bigfoot.

I think something on a small scale like this could be a quick (2 years) addition to DAK as relatively low costs and can bring the ride count to a number that would justify the longer hours on the horizon.
I would be in favor of something like this. I agree that a few smaller attractions and/or traditional dark rides would round out the park. I still love the Disney dark rides even though they have fallen out of favor at least around here. I count myself among the few who openly admit that I like LM, but based on the luke warm reception it got I would assume any omni-mover style dark ride built at AK would be looked down on by a lot of people.

FigmentJedi

I see a Critter Country/Camp Minnie Mickey reboot as being based on Brownstone Park from the Humphrey cartoons and functioning as a North American Animal area in addition to character stuff. Humphrey Bear and Ranger Woodlore would meet and greet and there'd be animal shows involving those two, a Bambi dark ride, a trail featuring both live animals and some animatronic set-ups like the Fantasy Faire's Figaro to bring in Disney characters, and a flume ride focused on the Fearsome Critters of Lumberjack Folklore culminating in an encounter with the Hodag.

As for other ways to expand on the park, I really like that Mammoth Falls concept for Dinoland that RandySavage came up with in his Dinoland re-theme as a replacement to Dino-Rama. Considering the science-fiction stuff already present in the land with the time-travel, you could probably have the mountain be the Institute's Ice Age preserve they created through cloning creatures or some crap.

To continue the idea of spreading Beastly Kingdom's principles around the park, I'd also like the idea of an Australia area touching upon the Dreamtime and the Bunyip in an attraction.

doctornick

I see a Critter Country/Camp Minnie Mickey reboot as being based on Brownstone Park from the Humphrey cartoons and functioning as a North American Animal area in addition to character stuff. Humphrey Bear and Ranger Woodlore would meet and greet and there'd be animal shows involving those two, a Bambi dark ride, a trail featuring both live animals and some animatronic set-ups like the Fantasy Faire's Figaro to bring in Disney characters, and a flume ride focused on the Fearsome Critters of Lumberjack Folklore culminating in an encounter with the Hodag.

I think this sounds awesome. I know nothing about this Lumberjack folklore, but just a quick search on the net seems cool. Probably too obscure for Disney to consider unfortunately but I like the thinking. I think Bigfoot is easier to use due to more awareness in the general popular (though it does have the drawback of being similar to the Yeti already used in the park), but I'd love me a Hodag in DAK.

lazyboy97o

I think people are projecting way too much into this article. The author never criticizes Avatar as a choice. He, like Disney, is convinced that the problem with Disney's Animal Kingdom is the animals. This is why we have not seen new continents and will not for the time being. Like with the other three parks built in the same just enough model, Disney has blamed the park's unique aspects and not their attempts to avoid building a fully realized vision. The new land is a concern because it still leaves so much of the park's portfolio to the animals. Other new offerings building on these existing "failed" elements are thus not worth mentioning.

This would be INCREDIBLY cool - But I can't see Disney spending the money for these, UV paint on plastic plants is as good as I think TDO would allow.

Writing this makes me incredibly sad because 20 years ago Disney WOULD have used the interactive plants.
Disney Research has been one of the big players in the field.

Groxtak

So what I got from this is AK needs more than just Avatar so an old plan from 2007 to build an Australia section of the park has been resurrected and has been greenlit. Sound about right;)

It helps to be able to only read the words you want to see...I wonder how long it takes for this rumor to hit twitter and go viral:)
There was a plan in 2007 to build an Australia section?

Groxtak

I think people are projecting way too much into this article. The author never criticizes Avatar as a choice. He, like Disney, is convinced that the problem with Disney's Animal Kingdom is the animals. This is why we have not seen new continents and will not for the time being. Like with the other three parks built in the same just enough model, Disney has blamed the park's unique aspects and not their attempts to avoid building a fully realized vision. The new land is a concern because it still leaves so much of the park's portfolio to the animals. Other new offerings building on these existing "failed" elements are thus not worth mentioning.

Disney Research has been one of the big players in the field.
From the article, I was left with the impression that they need to fix up and add to EE after Avatar is complete. If they make EE the attraction it needs to be, plus Avatar, then DAK would be like DCA 2.0!

Groxtak

Sponsored by Beef Jerky

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You can sum up ALL of Disney's current guest satisfaction issues with the 'Just Enough' mentality of TWDC, Just look down the road a piece $100-200 mil to re-theme a coaster and build a castle and theme the area the way Disney USED TO, Immediate 22% increase in gate year over year.

The problem is the TWDC team does not understand how a theme park operates or how the 'useless' in their mind 'frill's set the tone. You would think with the results at DCA they would have learned the lesson but apparently not.

Groxtak

As for other ways to expand on the park, I really like that Mammoth Falls concept for Dinoland that RandySavage came up with in his Dinoland re-theme as a replacement to Dino-Rama. Considering the science-fiction stuff already present in the land with the time-travel, you could probably have the mountain be the Institute's Ice Age preserve they created through cloning creatures or some crap.

To continue the idea of spreading Beastly Kingdom's principles around the park, I'd also like the idea of an Australia area touching upon the Dreamtime and the Bunyip in an attraction.
A Bambi dark ride? The only cool concept I can think of with Bambi is a ride based on this short video...

doctornick

Would you agree with this? While I don't think that the animals are necessarily a problem, they do come with a unique set of obstacles that would require some creative solutions.

I do think it's a valid reason that at this point in time, it makes sense to have new additions focus on rides/shows as opposed to new animal trails. Not that I wouldn't enjoy more animals, but I think there is enough there to satisfy the vast majority of guests (heck, most people don't even check out the enclosures in the Oasis and Discovery Island). Other than getting Pandas, I think Disney would get more bang for their buck by not focusing on live animals (i.e. not doing Australia or South America).

If they wanted to bring more animals into play, I think they'd be better off with something like AAs of Ice Age animals (no, not the movie, the epoch) or expanding the dinosaur offerings to include a travel back in time Dinosaur safari or boat ride by the Dino Institute.

lazyboy97o

Would you agree with this? While I don't think that the animals are necessarily a problem, they do come with a unique set of obstacles that would require some creative solutions.
Not at all. I think Disney's Animal Kingdom is the strongest park concept at Walt Disney World and it is being tossed away in the name of building a brand management portfolio.

doctornick

You know, I just re-read the article from the OP and it says this:

It's a pretty big deal. Orlando Sentinel's Jason Garcia leans on third-party estimates calling for Disney to invest $800 million in upgrading its animal-themed park over the next three years, with a little more than half of that going specifically into the "Avatar" area that will take over the now shuttered Camp Minnie-Mickey section of the theme park.

Is it true that only "little more than half" is going to Avatar? Let's say $450M is going to build Pandora -- which is actually consistent with numbers mentioned here during the contentious negotiations with Cameron. That's still a good bit and could build some impressive stuff, one would hope.

But what is going on with the "little less than half" (for the sake of argument, say $350M) for the rest of the park? That's a heck of a lot of money for a night show, night safaris and general infrastructure improvements, isn't it? Anyone have any idea what else it might entail? More restaurants? Is it possible that actual attractions might be on table?

MasterGracey82

Not at all. I think Disney's Animal Kingdom is the strongest park concept at Walt Disney World and it is being tossed away in the name of building a brand management portfolio.

I would agree that Animal Kingdom is the strongest park concept they have. So would you then suggest that after Avatar, any future plans involve live animals?

lazyboy97o

I would agree that Animal Kingdom is the strongest park concept they have. So would you then suggest that after Avatar, any future plans involve live animals?
Without significant management changes I do not see anything truly animal related going into the park unless it is related to a Disney property. It will be about characters who are animals, not the real animals.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Without significant management changes I do not see anything truly animal related going into the park unless it is related to a Disney property. It will be about characters who are animals, not the real animals.
That is a real shame. AK (in concept) is by far my favorite of the 4 parks. The seemless merging of live animals and theme park rides makes it a one of a kind. There is so much potential to incorporate animals into future expansions that would far exceed characters. The original concept of a "live" version of the jungle cruise would have been great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom