DAK Needs More Than Blue Aliens

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
that article also fails to mention the new nighttime shows and entertainment as well as the new safari nighttime ride

I'm worried about keeping Kilimanjaro open later. It seems to me that the only way to make it work would be to close it at dusk to bring the regular animals in, then fill the ride with nocturnal animals. I'm not sure what the plan is, but I don't think it's that. Even then, there will be one hell of a learning curve as they learn how animals react to being in an environment like that.

Scuttle

This is such a no-brainer I don't know why they haven't. Koalas/kangaroos easier to come by than giant pandas, throw in an off-the-shelf thrill ride (the "Boomarang," the "Walkaround," whatever) and a restaurant, gives guests another hour or two, and the internet fanbase would explode.
This is so true. Look at how successful Outback Steakhouse is. Australia would be a success no doubt in my mind.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm worried about keeping Kilimanjaro open later. It seems to me that the only way to make it work would be to close it at dusk to bring the regular animals in, then fill the ride with nocturnal animals. I'm not sure what the plan is, but I don't think it's that. Even then, there will be one hell of a learning curve as they learn how animals react to being in an environment like that.

I remember a post here that said that the Safari was run at night at some point in the past. Does anyone know how it worked then?

As for the article, I can't really argue with the central point. Avatar and the nighttime show will definitely help the park but depending on how many rides Avatar adds it might take a little more to make it a full day park for the majority of visitors.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is such a no-brainer I don't know why they haven't. Koalas/kangaroos easier to come by than giant pandas, throw in an off-the-shelf thrill ride (the "Boomarang," the "Walkaround," whatever) and a restaurant, gives guests another hour or two, and the internet fanbase would explode.

It requires two things one Disney no longer has (except in Accounting Dept) and the other they are unwilling to spend on parks

1 - Imagination
2 - Money

jakeman

I remember a post here that said that the Safari was run at night at some point in the past. Does anyone know how it worked then?
Extremely poorly.

It cost a ton to run and didn't attract guest. I think the final price tag one year was about $30 in operations cost per guest.

Of course that was back in the day when nighttime entertainment at DAK consisted of Dinosaur (Countdown to Extinction back then) and It's Tough to be a Bug.

jakeman

Several animals are out on the Safari all night anyways, mostly the gazelles and antelope.

The other animals they would rotate in and out. They never transplanted animals from one area to the other based on show needs.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This would be INCREDIBLY cool - But I can't see Disney spending the money for these, UV paint on plastic plants is as good as I think TDO would allow.

Writing this makes me incredibly sad because 20 years ago Disney WOULD have used the interactive plants.
While I tend to agree with you that I likely see the bio-luminescence part being mostly fake for budget reasons, I'm really hopeful that they try and incorporate at least some of this technology somewhere in the area. When I first saw that thing a while back, it blew my frigging mind.

Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther

I'm still "meh" about the whole Avatar-thing. It wasn't that great of a movie (IMO) and it's NOT DISNEY (to me)!!!!!!!

I won't deny that AK needs SOME-thing but I don't think Avatar is it. It seems like the Imagineers have gotten lazy and instead of coming up with new ideas - are seeing what intellectual property they can but of someone else's to exploit.

Beastly Kingdom anyone?

But that would involve imagination, innovation, risk and real investment into an undeveloped, unrealized concept...and there's no way Mr. "Buy-'Em/Don't-Create-Them" Iger will go for that. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom