D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisDude33

While I'm sure this is because Epic is sponsoring it, lots of their (Disney's) audience will be unable to watch it at all which is a very poor choice by Disney, just to get someone else to pay for it.
I think they are hoping to make the Disney fan base bigger by appealing to the young adults that play Fortnight and possibly have extra money to spend. (They probably don’t but Disney hasn’t figured that out yet)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think way to much is being read into the livestream decision.

My feeling is that since they are charging for admission to the Honda Center, they cannot just hand out a free live stream. because next time they do this, people are not going to pay to be there if they can sit at home and stream it.

And really, does anyone need to see the entertainment segments? All of the info will be released in near realtime, and we will have concept art as usual.

Big_Shakalaka

I think way to much is being read into the livestream decision.

My feeling is that since they are charging for admission to the Honda Center, they cannot just hand out a free live stream. because next time they do this, people are not going to pay to be there if they can sit at home and stream it.

And really, does anyone need to see the entertainment segments? All of the info will be released in near realtime, and we will have concept art as usual.
People will pay to go if there's a live stream. It's about the experience of being there. being in the moment.

My local hockey team, the Chicago Blackhawks, did not televise their home games for a LONG time under the idea that if they are on TV, no one will go to the game. So what happened? An entire generation of fans who never cared about the Blackhawks because they couldn't watch them. Owner died. His kids put the team back on TV. They win 3 Stanley Cups. 🤷🏻

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
People will pay to go if there's a live stream. It's about the experience of being there. being in the moment.

My local hockey team, the Chicago Blackhawks, did not televise their home games for a LONG time under the idea that if they are on TV, no one will go to the game. So what happened? An entire generation of fans who never cared about the Blackhawks because they couldn't watch them. Owner died. His kids put the team back on TV. They win 3 Stanley Cups. 🤷🏻
I'm not saying it's the right decision, but I think this is the reason. They need to keep an air of exclusivity to this if they plan to do this again. Anyone who has a so-so experience this year may be very tempted to skip it and livestream in the future if it were offered.

MouseEarsMom33

I'm not saying it's the right decision, but I think this is the reason. They need to keep an air of exclusivity to this if they plan to do this again. Anyone who has a so-so experience this year may be very tempted to skip it and livestream in the future if it were offered.
Then why are they live streaming the Fortnite portion? That's where they completely lost me.

999th Happy Haunt

1723136782476.gif

DCLcruiser

I get it, but that is an old idea. The experience sells the tickets. There are other ways to make the in person experience worth the price.

They should do both, especially with D+ sub opportunities.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I forgot Disney had bought Epic Games until now........still, what they SHOULD use their resources for is making extinct attractions in Unreal Engine for everyone to enjoy
The real interest in Unreal Engine for Disney is that it's the heart of "The Volume," a 360 degree LED filming environment being used for many Disney movies and series (and being used as much by other studios, too, now).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The real interest in Unreal Engine for Disney is that it's the heart of "The Volume," a 360 degree LED filming environment being used for many Disney movies and series (and being used as much by other studios, too, now).

Right, that is probably a big part of it. As much as I dislike Fortnite...I LOVE Unreal Engine, especially since it is basically free to use for personal use...if you sell something using Unreal they get a percentage, but it is a super powerful tool for realistic CG stuff

Disstevefan1

I figured out my expectations of D23 -

Being shown stuff that -
May never, ever happen.
If it happens its many, many years off.
If they complete it, it is a greatly cost cut of version of what we were shown at D23 six years prior.

DreamfinderGuy

Anyone who has a so-so experience this year may be very tempted to skip it and livestream in the future if it were offered.
Went to D23 in 2022. This is why I'm not currently in Anaheim. I wholeheartedly understand the desire to prevent more people coming to this conclusion like I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom