D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

Sneakman

Nothing's a done deal until construction has started and even then plans can change (Epcot).

My personal commentary on this - it's a nail that Disney would like hammered down. OLC would like to continue to have a productive working relationship with Disney - especially a Disney that's willing to give them Fantasyland 2 and Fantasyland 3 instead of another SS Columbia they didn't ask for.
Zip a de dead man walking

Brer Oswald

I recall Martin commenting, I think on this exact rumor, that nothing is ever a "done deal" that many years out. The planning doesn't work that way.

I'll believe a TDL Splash retheme when I see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it happens eventually as despite the high GSAT scores the Japanese have zero attachment to SotS characters (want to guess the percent of guests who know the film? It's much less than it was in the U.S., which was already minuscule).

But I certainly hope it's not Duffy, that sounds lame and so many other things in TDS have been taken over by him through the years.
Most of the Splash/Brer Rabbit fan accounts I see are Japanese 😅.
That's the power of a darn good ride. The general public might not be aware of the movie, but if you can make the characters appealing in those 10 minutes of ride time, the movie doesn't matter.

celluloid

Knowing Tokyo they'll still do Tiana's but they'll make it a million times better than the US versions. It'll have more animatronics than even their version of Splash did and have Dr. Facilier on the lift hill. Basically anything wrong with the US will be fixed and then some. (Also this me widely speculating I have no insider sources)
There are a few reasons that will not happen.

Brer Oswald

- PatF isn't that popular in Japan. Though this doesn't matter if they make an excellent attraction out of it. WDI has yet to do so unfortunately.
- TDL's New Orleans area is on the opposite end of the park, as the first part of their Adventureland. If PatF got an attraction, it would likely go here. There is some room for expansion/replacement between Jungle Cruise and Pirates.
- The aesthetic of the movie doesn't even come close to matching up with the landscaping of Critter Country. It's very unlikely they would throw all of that away, so they will probably pick a better suited cast of characters that fit the beautifully crafted rockwork and architecture that is there.

celluloid

OLC clones and makes it as good or better. They don't waste resources on ill received, so there is that.

Tokyo is making money as it stands. Not enough ROI for all the changes needed to do an entirely different version and kill something incredibly popular.

celluloid

That's true and really surprising. The closest they got was Big Hero 6 which is only halfway Japanese style
One if the reasons they haven't is because for a long time the love Japan had for Disney was Americana. Hence Tokyo Disneyland in the first place. Japan has the oldest population average in the world of first worlds. So it has be like mostly baby boomers and older, if you will.

Brer Oswald

Disney owns Kingdom Hearts 100%. They don't need Square's permission to do anything with that IP.

But KH is too niche otaku to get a full E-ticket attraction I think, even in Japan (Tokyo Disneyland hotel did get a KH room overlay a few years back).
I don’t think it’s that niche. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, but out of Disney IP? But many recent additions have a much smaller audience (Tron anybody?).

celluloid

I don’t think it’s that niche. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, but out of Disney IP? But many recent additions have a much smaller audience (Tron anybody?).
Bob Iger loves Tron for some reason. Mainly his thought that it could come back as a blockbuster. Shanghai got theirs in development because it was a movie when Space Mt wasn't(even though they wanted it to be when Shanghai was in development) and FL got theirs when the Jared Leto plan was in the early works and easy to clone a thrill.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Bob Iger loves Tron for some reason. Mainly his thought that it could come back as a blockbuster. Shanghai got theirs in development because it was a movie when Space Mt wasn't(even though they wanted it to be when Shanghai was in development) and FL got theirs when the Jared Leto plan was in the early works and easy to clone a thrill.
Besides the neon light aesthetic, it’s had no cultural staying power. The two most popular Tron related things are probably the coaster and, funny enough, it’s appearance in Kingdom Hearts.

celluloid

Besides the neon light aesthetic, it’s had no cultural staying power. The two most popular Tron related things are probably the coaster and, funny enough, it’s appearance in Kingdom Hearts.
Yeah. That guy that just loved tron and was famous for awkwardly wearing the outfit before cosplay was cool is one of the only things that really comes to mind. It is a great example of all aesthetic and no substance, or little if one wants to be less harsh, and was not much more than that, even back to the original.

You can't set out to make a cult classic, it just happens. And Bob does not understand that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom