D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

Advisable Joseph

You want a Pyoro hint? Fine. Figure out this.

👽 🏠 🌴🐊

🌴
🐊

A palm-dile. Sounds like Palmdale, CA, home of Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works, where the U-2 and SR-71 were developed.

When they were tested at Area 51, they gave it a reputaton for being an

👽
🏠

The Space Shuttle was also developed at Palmdale to ferry people to a space station, which could be called an "alien house" of sorts, no?

Palmdale is also about 30 mi. from the Mojave Air and Space Port.

Replacement for Mission: Space?

Last edited:

bwr827

Too niche to replace an iconic E-ticket in a castle park.
Kingdom Hearts has sold 36 million copies. (Wikipedia)

Compare with some examples:
  • Super Mario core games: 498 million
  • Pokémon: 480 million
  • Call of Duty: 425 million
  • Minecraft: 400 million
  • Final Fantasy: 195 million
  • Sonic: 190 million
Kingdom Hearts is too niche for a popcorn bucket, let alone a major attraction.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Kingdom Hearts has sold 36 million copies. (Wikipedia)

Compare with some examples:
  • Super Mario core games: 498 million
  • Pokémon: 480 million
  • Call of Duty: 425 million
  • Minecraft: 400 million
  • Final Fantasy: 195 million
  • Sonic: 190 million
Kingdom Hearts is too niche for popcorn bucket, let alone a major attraction.
The thing about KH is that it would probably work as an attraction even if you were to divorce it from the original Kingdom Hearts characters (not saying I would want that). For example, you could do a basic story with King Mickey, Donald, and Goofy traversing the worlds and being attacked by the Disney villains along the way. The Disney characters they would interact with when visiting worlds are so iconic it wouldn’t matter how niche Kingdom Hearts is it probably could work.

Also, 36 million copies is nothing to laugh at sure when you put it up against the titans of gaming like that it may seem niche. You should take into account the top four on your list are an anomaly at best and really doesn’t reflect the market as a whole.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

So last night I came up with an insane strategy to try and make reservations. Basically I went though the whole schedule and made a few rules.

1.) Panels are the most important reservations to secure and take precedent over everything else.

2.) Honda Center panels are the most important event to attend at D23 and to allow for travel time anything an hour and fifteen minutes before show time is automatically not considered. I want to allow myself at least and hour and fifteen minutes to travel between the two venues. Most of the days I’m actually allowing myself way more time then that upwards of an hour and thirty minutes.

3.) No overlapping reservations of any kind

There are two panels on Friday I’m going to try to see. Every other signing or whatever (that I’m interested in) happens to be around the same time as these panels. So I’ve decided to go for less then I originally planned in order to up my chances to get into the panels I want.

Every day I’m going to try and register for two panels and those will take precedent over everything else. This is the case for both Friday and Saturday. Sunday I currently have one. For the show floor reservations as long as it doesn’t occur within those coveted panel slots I’ll try and get a reservation. For Friday I only have one, for Saturday I have 3, and Sunday I have two. As for talent central I will only reserve what time doesn't conflict with either stage or show floor. Nothing on Friday, 2-3 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday.

I’m hoping this will boost my chances to get into my most wanted panels and events. I figure that even if I don’t get what I want exactly I should still free up the time that I would normally because I can always choose to join the standby.

bwr827

The thing about KH is that it would probably work as an attraction even if you were to divorce it from the original Kingdom Hearts characters (not saying I would want that). For example, you could do a basic story with King Mickey, Donald, and Goofy traversing the worlds and being attacked by the Disney villains along the way. The Disney characters they would interact with when visiting worlds are so iconic it wouldn’t matter how niche Kingdom Hearts is it probably could work.

Also, 36 million copies is nothing to laugh at sure when you put it up against the titans of gaming like that it may seem niche. You should take into account the top four on your list are an anomaly at best and really doesn’t reflect the market as a whole.
After the top 4 I skipped 7 other franchises before Final Fantasy to include more flavour that still vastly eclipsed Kingdom Hearts.

All told, there are 62 video game franchises more popular than KH.

All of that said, I actually like your ride idea and think it could fit a Villains land. But I’d lose the “King Mickey” specificity.

Surferboy567

After the top 4 I skipped 7 other franchises before Final Fantasy to include more flavour that still vastly eclipsed Kingdom Hearts.

All told, there are 62 video game franchises more popular than KH.

All of that said, I actually like your ride idea and think it could fit a Villains land. But I’d lose the “King Mickey” specificity.
At that point, you could just do Fantasmic the ride. That’s a fine choice as well. Fantasmic is my favorite nighttime show at any Disney park.

That being said, I’d still love a proper KH inclusion of some kind at the parks. Even if it’s unlikely for a variety of different reasons.

vikescaper

Here my list so far:

Friday

Music of Marvel Studios
11 AM to 12 PM
Premiere Stage

30 Years of Toy Story
1:30 to 2:30 PM
Premiere Stage

Walt Disney and El Grupo: A Journey Through Latin America
2:45 to 4:00 PM
Walt Disney Archives Stage

Disney Entertainment Showcase
7 to 9 PM
Honda Center

Saturday

Marvel Animation Sneak Peak
12:45 to 1:45 PM
Premiere Stage

A Beautiful Tomorrow - Just a Dream Away: Disney at the 1964-65 New York’s World Fair
10:15 to 11:30 AM
Walt Disney Archive Stage

Marvel Comics: Celebrating 50 Years of Wolverine
2:30 to 3:30 PM

Disney Experiences Showcase
7 to 8:30 PM
Honda Center

Sunday

Dream Chasing: Four Decades of Walt Disney Imagineering
11:45 to 12:45 PM

Jolly Holiday: A D23 Musical Celebration of Richard M. Sherman
12:15 to 1:30 PM
Premiere Stage

Magic After Dark - The Story of Disney’s Nighttime Spectaculars
3:45 to 4:45 PM

Designing the MCU: Marvel Studios’ Visual Development
10 to 11 AM
Backlot Stage

Disney Legends Awards Ceremony
5 to 7 PM
Honda Center

————————————-

We aren’t interested in doing any signings or things like that so I am not going to even select those. My sister has her own list of panels she would like to attend so we will probably decide which ones we want the most. I really want to go to the one about the nighttime spectaculars but it ends to close to the start time of the Legends presentation.

erasure fan1

I don’t think it’s that niche. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, but out of Disney IP? But many recent additions have a much smaller audience (Tron anybody?).
That's just it. Not many care about Tron light cycle run because it's Tron. Funny enough my son loves Tron, but even he admits he's in the absolute minority. They like it for the fantastic launch. Heck, Splash is the best example of this. Even at the time of its closure there were people who had no idea it was based on a Disney IP let alone what ip it was.

Kingdom hearts isn't really near the uper echelon of video games from a recognition standpoint. But that really makes little difference. As I've said many times, a great ride trumps ip EVERY time. While I'd say it's not something for magic kingdom, It's popular enough to put a nice D ticket in the Japan pavilion or the studios.

Now Minecraft on the other hand, that could be huge. I can think of a bunch of cool ride ideas. Some say it's still to niche, but there's not a family on this continent that wouldn't recognize it. And if it's a cool ride, the 10s of people who don't know it will ride anyway. :cool:

bwr827

Now Minecraft on the other hand, that could be huge. I can think of a bunch of cool ride ideas. Some say it's still to niche, but there's not a family on this continent that wouldn't recognize it. And if it's a cool ride, the 10s of people who don't know it will ride anyway. :cool:
Minecraft would have so much potential. You could do a whole land.

DisneyHead123

Spirited Away? A Disney purchase rather than a Disney production, but Japanese and beautiful.
Shut the front door! I had no idea Disney owned Spirited Away! I’m not super into anime (I probably would have been if I was born a bit later,) but I remember being a young adult, living on my own for the first time and having a bad flu. I happened to see Spirited Away while holed up in my apartment feeling miserable and it just blew me away.

Honestly if Disney is trying to appeal to older kids / tweens / teens in a gender neutral way, anime seems like an obvious route. In a way it seems like a perfect fit in terms of Disney’s evolution. A lot of programming for those age ranges appeals to kids by being crude, gross out, violent, etc. Anime often retains a kind of refined artistic quality yet is still considered cool with The Young People, at least many of them. Spirited Away would be a great choice but so would hiring some qualified anime storytellers and creating an original Disney anime film/s. I think a modern day Japanese princess making her way through Japan with some kind of mystical twist would be great. They could feature everything from Harajuku to picturesque Japanese temples.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom