D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OLC owns 51% or more of Tokyo Disneyland. Disney can kick and scream all they want. It's not up to them.
OLC owns 100% of Tokyo Disneyland

It’s a licensing agreement with Disney. A fascinating bit of history

They called Disney and begged for it…but Epcot was underway and Disney was in hoc…so they said no.

Olc said “we will pay you to build it”

And here we are…maybe the most successful amusement development ever…since Bob gave up on Orlando and now wants to extract the blood from it.

Brer Oswald

Disney can keep designing refurbs until there is something that OLC likes. Duffy seems like a slam-dunk given how crazy that crowd is for those bears. Give splash a “going away party” like they are for Space and make way for Duffy and friends.
Duffy could be a slam dunk. But others have brought up the fact that he’s the unofficial mascot of the Seas park. I don’t know how much room they have left for expansion, but if they were to pull something voluntarily, OLC would probably want to go for something less popular. Not the log ride which is routinely pulling the highest/second highest wait time in the park at night, let alone midday.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Regardless on your actual opinions on Splash and its subject material, do you think that in SpongeBob’s Year 2024, that Disney wants to have a ride that is based on a film so controversial that it stopped being released in the 80’s, and had protests even in its initial release in the 40’s?
They still have Pocahontas merchandise purchasable in the parks.

For the Disney Experiences Showcase:

View attachment 799453

Horizons: Disney Experiences Showcase will take place on Saturday, August 10 at the Honda Center. Josh D’Amaro will welcome fans as he takes the stage with surprise stars and special guests for a live celebration of the music and creativity that power our stories and — of course — news and updates about projects in development around the world. The future is bright for Disney Experiences and this can’t-miss showcase will show fans what’s on the horizon and beyond.

Does anyone think that the Sun came from the Broadway Musical of the Lion King? Maybe a Lion King Announcement at the Parks?

Rosso11

At the end of day…it’s a fan con

We used to try to convince ourselves “investors” are watching.

Not even close…it’s way below their pay grade.
They are 100% watching this. There’s already articles up on CNBC about the D23 schedule being released and how the information released at this years D23 can affect the stock price. Most of the major entertainment analyst will more than likely be in attendance. Just like many attend San Diego Comic Con every year. Their job is to analyze this industry and forecast future results.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

That movie is only 30 years old and still is available on television and Disney+. Maybe in another 50 it’ll fall out of favor like Song of the South has. Only time will tell.
Hopefully it does. Because unlike Song of the South's cartoon characters, there is little to enjoy in Pocahontas that can be divorced from the original source material. Maybe a song or two but that's it.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Yeah and I’m disgusted by that too.

But this isn’t a gosh darn Splash thread. I don’t even know why it was brought up in the first place.

This is about D23. The only splash that is getting mentioned is an opening date for Disneyland’s Tiana.
There's a rumor that Tokyo's Splash is getting rethemed to Duffy. Again, it's just a rumor but considering the lack of advertising Tokyo's version has been getting it may as well hold some truth.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are 100% watching this. There’s already articles up on CNBC about the D23 schedule being released and how the information released at this years D23 can affect the stock price. Most of the major entertainment analyst will more than likely be in attendance. Just like many attend San Diego Comic Con every year. Their job is to analyze this industry and forecast future results.
The park budget…or lack there of…won’t affect what they care about.

Sure they’ll “cover it”…bu it’s lip service

drnilescrane

TDL Splash is scheduled for FY30. Different IP from US Parks. Tokyo wants to get through the Space Mountain relocation and associated work before they commence the project (can't have two mountains closed at once). But it's a done deal.

BasiltheBatLord

2030? What pushed them to change it?
I recall Martin commenting, I think on this exact rumor, that nothing is ever a "done deal" that many years out. The planning doesn't work that way.

I'll believe a TDL Splash retheme when I see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it happens eventually as despite the high GSAT scores the Japanese have zero attachment to SotS characters (want to guess the percent of guests who know the film? It's much less than it was in the U.S., which was already minuscule).

But I certainly hope it's not Duffy, that sounds lame and so many other things in TDS have been taken over by him through the years.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I recall Martin commenting, I think on this exact rumor, that nothing is ever a "done deal" that many years out. The planning doesn't work that way.

I'll believe a TDL Splash retheme when I see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it happens eventually as despite the high GSAT scores the Japanese have zero attachment to SotS characters (want to guess the percent of guests who know the film? It's much less than it was in the U.S., which was already minuscule).

But I certainly hope it's not Duffy, that sounds lame and so many other things in TDS have been taken over by him through the years.
Knowing Tokyo they'll still do Tiana's but they'll make it a million times better than the US versions. It'll have more animatronics than even their version of Splash did and have Dr. Facilier on the lift hill. Basically anything wrong with the US will be fixed and then some. (Also this me widely speculating I have no insider sources)

drnilescrane

I recall Martin commenting, I think on this exact rumor, that nothing is ever a "done deal" 10 years out. The planning doesn't work that way.
Nothing's a done deal until construction has started and even then plans can change (Epcot).

My personal commentary on this - it's a nail that Disney would like hammered down. OLC would like to continue to have a productive working relationship with Disney - especially a Disney that's willing to give them Fantasyland 2 and Fantasyland 3 instead of another SS Columbia they didn't ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom