D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLo

PS there is no new resort in Brazil. This isn’t how the company goes about announcing a new park. They aren’t rolling out a fan event 7-10 years ahead of a resort opening. It’s announced to shareholders, rather blandly.

I think this is strictly a marketing move to get back South American crowds to WDW and maybe stoke some D+ awareness. Maybe some sprinkling of the Tropical Americas land.

The 2015 Tokyo D23 mostly focused on Pandora, not Tokyo projects. Sometimes these things are nonsense.

BrianLo

I can’t remember the last time when Disney would have no new addition lined up for the following year.

Ironically… 10 years ago almost exactly. Tons of negative sentiment that New Fantasyland missed the mark on being the Potter Swatter. Avatar was still being questioned on if it was ever coming or being cancelled. Universal was nearing completion of Diagon Alley and also undergoing their burst of spending at USF.

I’d actually say we have better chatter on positivity than that window. We have supposed spending reiterated many times to shareholders. An AK project seems fairly imminent (really no more or less than Pandora was around this time minus six months or so). We have possibility of another big project beyond that at MK (we didn’t even have whispers of DHS, or certainly Epcot in the same window).

Heck, I don’t think 2025 will whiff as badly as 2015. This still lives rent free in my head, when the best new thing across entire resort was Colortopia…

I suspect we’ll at least have some parades, show overhauls or maybe even an unexpected quick overhaul or two (like Test Track) for next year.

It’s really just history repeating itself. By the end of the decade Disney will possibly be outshining Universal again in their endless jostling. And yes, I firmly believe Disney outshone Uni for the window of 2017-Now.

Surferboy567

Ironically… 10 years ago almost exactly. Tons of negative sentiment that New Fantasyland missed the mark on being the Potter Swatter. Avatar was still being questioned on if it was ever coming or being cancelled. Universal was nearing completion of Diagon Alley and also undergoing their burst of spending at USF.

I’d actually say we have better chatter on positivity than that window. We have supposed spending reiterated many times to shareholders. An AK project seems fairly imminent (really no more or less than Pandora was around this time minus six months or so). We have possibility of another big project beyond that at MK (we didn’t even have whispers of DHS, or certainly Epcot in the same window).

Heck, I don’t think 2025 will whiff as badly as 2015. This still lives rent free in my head, when the best new thing across entire resort was Colortopia…

I suspect we’ll at least have some parades, show overhauls or maybe even an unexpected quick overhaul or two (like Test Track) for next year.

It’s really just history repeating itself. By the end of the decade Disney will possibly be outshining Universal again in their endless jostling. And yes, I firmly believe Disney outshone Uni for the window of 2017-Now.
When you put it like that…wow. I guess if history holds we are in for a crazy D23 then. If they go ahead an announce something on the level of Pandora or New Fantasyland.

I do also believe Disney has outshone Uni. Though that may change if nothing is announced. I really liked that MK attraction as well as Super Nintendo World, DK looks cool as well. Could be just the Nintendo fan talking though. Disney I’m sure once they get building again can absolutely reach the heights we expect. They just need to get into that investment mindset. This D23 will be very telling.

Last edited:

cranbiz

Do you think they’ll announce another park in South America? Brazil is the 7th most populous country in the world, has a burgeoning middle class, a largely untapped consumer base. This satellite event in São Paulo might be such an announcement.
Coming soon DVC Sao Paulo. Carnival themed.

McMickeyWorld

I heard that this is the second time D23 is being presented outside the USA, the first being in Japan. I'm curious about what type of event they are planning for this occasion. 🤔

wdwfan4ver

Same criticism Universal is getting regarding their new park… no new market to tap into, Epic Universe will just siphon from the visitors who already visit Orlando, not increase the volume.
Universal adding Epic Universe is really more about trying to take more tourists days away from WDW than gaining tourists that don't go to Orlando. I am saying this because Universal bought land last year in UK for potential theme park. Also Universal wants Nintendo IPS in IOA and USF besides Epic Universe. Nintendo IPS usually have games that are for everyone and we know that means for attractions.

As far as Universal reaching that goal, it wouldn't completely happen for Universal in 2025 or 2026. I believe some guests would take a day away from WDW for Epic Universe, but the same can be said with Epic Universe takes a day taken away from USF. The problem is IOA as park to a lot of people is better than USF.
Do you think they’ll announce another park in South America? Brazil is the 7th most populous country in the world, has a burgeoning middle class, a largely untapped consumer base. This satellite event in São Paulo might be such an announcement.
The timing is bad for Disney right now to build a park in South America. Building a new park costs anywhere 6 to 8 billion dollars. I gave that amount due to it cost Disney 5.5 billion dollars to build Shanghai Disneyland and the cost of building theme parks has increased since 2016.

The problem is Disney has been losing money on Disney+ and we all known about how Disney did at the box office in 2023. Disney hasn't made all its money back for Iger buying Fox yet.

Remember, Disney in the 2010s were making a lot of money at the box office compared to now and no Disney plus before November of 2019.

Gusey

Unlike the last 2 D23 Parks Panels, Disney won't have much in the works by August to just provide updates on at the moment, only Walt Disney Studios Frozen expansion, Tokyo's Space Mountain and the new Cruise ships. Potentially Tiana's if that isn't open by then and maybe finally something about the Avengers Multiverse attraction. I feel like this year we're going to get some kind of announcement for every resort,

prberk

Any idea yet whether or not there will be a 2024 Destination D at WDW; and if so, the dates?

Indy_UK

Any idea yet whether or not there will be a 2024 Destination D at WDW; and if so, the dates?

Won't be this year as it's a D23 year in Anaheim. It will be next year for Destination D but I believe they have varied the months if the past.

DAK1928

With Disney's push for "authenticity" in its cultural representations, I would see them using D23 Brazil to officially announce details for the Tropical Americas overhaul

Reminds me a bit of the WDI influencer trip to New Orleans to promote Tiana's

MarvelCharacterNerd

Brazil - in addition to having a lot of park fans willing to travel - hosts one of the largest fan conventions in the world (CCXP, I think?). More and more studios and celebs are participating each year. So just like D23Expo tried to pull from SDCC, this may be an attempt to siphon from CCXP.

prberk

Won't be this year as it's a D23 year in Anaheim. It will be next year for Destination D but I believe they have varied the months if the past.
I thought there was a Destination D every year, or at least some fall WDW event, just obviously much smaller than the Anaheim event.

Anyway, do we know of any D23 WDW events this year?

Surferboy567

I thought there was a Destination D every year, or at least some fall WDW event, just obviously much smaller than the Anaheim event.

Anyway, do we know of any D23 WDW events this year?
D23 does random little events all year long. Celebrating movie anniversaries, tours, ride openings smaller scale events then the “main ones” listed below.

Destination D23 or as it was called ”Destination D” has always been every other year that the main event the D23 Expo is not on. The only time when the cycle was broken was 2020 for…obvious reasons.

The schedule goes a little like this:

2009 - First D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)
2010 - First? Destination D (Contemporary)
2011 - D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)
2012 - Destination D (Contemporary)
2013 - D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)
2014 - Destination D (Contemporary)
2015 - D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)
2016 - Destination D (Contemporary)
2017 - D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)
2018 - Destination D (Contemporary)
2019 - D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)

Gap year for…obvious reasons

2021 - Destination D23 (Contemporary)
2022 - D23 Expo (Anaheim Convention Center)
2023 - Destination D23 (Contemporary)
2024 - D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event (renamed Expo) (Anaheim Convention Center & Honda Center)
2024 - D23 Brazil A Disney Experience

* In 2013, 2015, & 2018 the D23 Expo also came to Japan
* Disney used to call it Destination D but then changed it starting in 2021 to Destination D23

Keep in mind, I’ve never actually been to any of these events but I’ve kept up with every single one via livestreams.

Last edited:

Lirael

Brazil - in addition to having a lot of park fans willing to travel - hosts one of the largest fan conventions in the world (CCXP, I think?). More and more studios and celebs are participating each year. So just like D23Expo tried to pull from SDCC, this may be an attempt to siphon from CCXP.
I googled, CCXP is a major pop culture festival, and it'll be in December. They should've announced D23 for December then, as it'd be easier to get crowds convinced to extend their Sao Paulo visit by a week or so to grab both. I cant imagine that many people will be willing to plan a trip twice in such short time between them

Figments Friend

I did the D23 Expo once….after years of watching from the sidelines and reading the feedback from various fans who had attended.
I did a lot of research before I decided to go, and it was a good thing I did.
What a crazy, conjested, cluster fluff.
Massive crowds, massive ( and mean MASSIVE lines ) for just getting into the building and forget about food…) and people everywhere.

I highly recommend anyone even remotely toying with the idea of going out for the Expo get themselves fully clued in to what you are getting yourself into.
Especially if you are a family with small children in tow.

Yes, it can be a fun experience…yes, there are some neat displays and fun panel presentations, but you NEED to be fully aware of what else awaits you.

Proceed with caution - it is not the pixie dusted, cotton candy fluffy Disney rainbow of happiness as the marketing paints it to be.

-

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I did the D23 Expo once….after years of watching from the sidelines and reading the feedback from various fans who had attended.
I did a lot of research before I decided to go, and it was a good thing I did.
What a crazy, conjested, cluster fluff.
Massive crowds, massive ( and mean MASSIVE lines ) for just getting into the building and forget about food…) and people everywhere.

I highly recommend anyone even remotely toying with the idea of going out for the Expo get themselves fully clued in to what you are getting yourself into.
Especially if you are a family with small children in tow.

Yes, it can be a fun experience…yes, there are some neat displays and fun panel presentations, but you NEED to be fully aware of what else awaits you.

Proceed with caution - it is not the pixie dusted, cotton candy fluffy Disney rainbow of happiness as the marketing paints it to be.

-
I am a veteran of New York Comic Con so I think I understand what you’re alluding to here in terms of the absolute swaps of people that are present at these conventions (though maybe not). I am hoping to possibly attend this year’s D23 though pending some details.

This year however, may be a little different with the added wrinkle of the Honda Center. Hoping giving no stress to “making” a big panel.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

First I've heard about sharing the cost with a corporate sponsor. But, not doubting it.
I've seen two separate 2017 era proposals, both of which included $450 million Brazil Pavilions with $200 million being Disney's portion. Obviously those proposals have changed. That being said, I also have no idea if there was a Brazilian entity willing to pony up the remaining $250 at any point, but there was clearly a ton of smoke around this project a few years ago. The timeline I saw was a 2022-2023 opening.

Salted Nut Roll

I've been to the D23 Expo twice, in 2017 and 2019. My biggest tip for avoiding the line to get in the building (and for any large convention) is: unless there's some reason you desperately NEED to be there right when it opens (i.e., a panel or something) wait for a couple of hours after they open before heading over the convention center. My friend and I tended to roll up to the convention center anywhere between 11:00 and 1:00, and we were always able to stroll right in. That leaves plenty of time to spend at the expo without having to start the day by standing in a massive line just to get in the door.

Lines in general are unavoidable, but the time spent in lines varies depending on what you want to see and do. Activities on the Expo floor tend to have pretty minimal lines, unless it's something that's a huge crowd draw (like the 2017 experience where you were able to jump into Scrooge McDuck's money bin. There was consistently a 2-4 hour wait for that one, because pretty much everyone at the Expo wanted a chance to do it). But just walking around, taking everything in is pretty low-stress, and it's a blast walking around seeing all of the great costumes and talking to people about your mutual favorite Disney media.

Also, a good way to avoid the food lines is to eat meals outside of the convention center. Have a good breakfast before heading out, and go somewhere nearby for lunch. There's a Starbuck's in the Hilton, and some restaurants and cafes adjacent to the Marriott. They'll still probably be crowded, but not as bad as the commissary in the convention center will be.

One thing that D23 seems to always struggle with (and I don't know if they've improved as of their last expo or not) is organization. Getting into panels has indeed been a cluster, even when they implemented the online reservation system in 2019. My friend and I had reserved a spot in one of the panels, and when we went to the basement where we were told to line up, nobody on staff knew where we were supposed to go. There was confusion as to which was the reserved line, or which was the standby line, or which line was for which panel. Everyone was given a specific wristband depending on the panel and reservation status, but none of the staff seemed to know what each wristband meant, and they were talking back and forth with each other, trying to figure it out, while people were shuffled from place to place. Even with our reservation, we ended up waiting on the basement floor for an hour before being let into the panel (which, due to the confusion, started about half an hour late). I REALLY hope they've improved on that since the last time I've been, but I doubt it. In general, I don't prioritize panels for that reason. If I get into one or two small panels the whole weekend, I consider it a win.
I'm both excited and nervous to go this year. I'm really hoping they've gotten more organized and ironed out their panel reservation and line management system. But even if they haven't, I've found that it's still a great time as long as you manage your expectations (You won't be able to do everything, and you may not be able to buy the exclusive merchandise item you were hoping for, and that's okay) and go with the flow. And it will be interesting to see if spreading the event out to the Honda Center will help with crowding, or just be a massive pain. Hopefully it will be the former!

Last edited:

jpinkc

I hate to even say this, but Brazil in the current climate of the world, would be the LAST place to build a theme park. So its probably going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom