D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

lebeau

From the front of MiceChat today:

I sure hope all the rumors popping up everywhere about a major overhaul and refresh at DisneyWorld are true. That kind of announcement would help to launch the D23 Expo in the best possible way and give the Orlando visitors the quality they deserve. - Al Lutz

Vague, but interesting. Anyone else hearing Al's rumors?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
From the front of MiceChat today:

Vague, but interesting. Anyone else hearing Al's rumors?

I'll give Al all the credit he deserves when it comes to DL.

But as for WDW rumors, I think "wait and see" is probably the safer route to take....

SeaCastle

Al has been given a lot of spun tips lately; as much as I hope it's true, I can't say that I would put too much faith in it.

kramden88

I thought Star Tours would really help bring some crowd away from Midway Mania, but that sure wasn't the case in June.

It blows my mind too. I like Midway Mania, I like it a lot, but it is not a top 5 attraction in that park, IMO.

How is it not in your top 5, there aren't even that many attractions in that park :lol:

kramden88

Does anyone know what projects exactly where part of the planned Disney Decade? And wasn't most of it cancelled because DLP /Eurodisney failed to be a success in the first years?

Other members can probably comment on this better but one of them was some sort of David Copperfield attraction in the then-MGM Studios. There was a billboard outside the park entrance advertising it for the longest time.

asianway

Other members can probably comment on this better but one of them was some sort of David Copperfield attraction in the then-MGM Studios. There was a billboard outside the park entrance advertising it for the longest time.

________ Tracy crimestoppers, Muppet Movie Ride, Roger Rabbit simulator all at the Studios for three that would have majorly changed the look of the Studios as we know it today.

The Duck

________ Tracy crimestoppers, Muppet Movie Ride, Roger Rabbit simulator all at the Studios for three that would have majorly changed the look of the Studios as we know it today.

Mr. Tracy's first name was censored??? Now THAT'S funny!!! :ROFLOL:

Krack

The David Copperfield venue was actually a restaurant. IIRC, it was going to be built right around where the Indiana Jones store is currently. Supposedly, it was going to feature illusions that would materialize from time to time in different areas of the restaurant while you were eating. I think I read somewhere that they came to the conclusion that the scope of the project was just simply going to cost too much money.

Interestingly, Copperfield went ahead and bought his own island, and built an ultra-exclusive resort that seems to be along the same idea.

misterID

Yessiree it is. While TDL is such an amazing resort, I feel Shanghai is going to be revolutionary. Let's hope these D23 announcements have that same technological touch. Here's hoping for something original.

Yeah, that's why I'm really interested to see what Shanghai is getting.

SeaCastle

The David Copperfield venue was actually a restaurant. IIRC, it was going to be built right around where the Indiana Jones store is currently. Supposedly, it was going to feature illusions that would materialize from time to time in different areas of the restaurant while you were eating. I think I read somewhere that they came to the conclusion that the scope of the project was just simply going to cost too much money.

Interestingly, Copperfield went ahead and bought his own island, and built an ultra-exclusive resort that seems to be along the same idea.

I had read that it was to be located behind the Theater of the Stars off the path to Fantasmic, but that could be wrong.

JustInTime

Imagine if it would have been built how dated it would be now. Everything happened for good reason.

DocMcHulk

@insidethemagic -
  • Walt Disney Parks announces details of 'Carousel of Projects' exhibit and topics for 2011 D23 Expo, promising surprises
  • Walt Disney Parks to feature "Carousel of Projects" exhibit with Cars Land, New Fantasyland, Cruise Line at D23 Expo
  • Disney promises surprises for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts presentation at the D23 Expo next month
  • Imagineering Legends Alice Davis, Orlando Ferrante, Bob Gurr, Don Iwerks, and Kim Irvine will be at D23 Expo Parks presentation.
  • Walt Disney Parks and Resorts exhibit at the D23 Expo will include an "opportunity to meet a classic Disney icon in an entirely new way."
  • New Fantasyland is mentioned for the Parks exhibit at D23 Expo, but not on the list of topics for the presentation. Surprises on the way?
  • Other than Fantasyland, nothing from @WaltDisneyWorld is mentioned for Parks & Resorts at the D23 Expo. What could they be holding back...?

Alektronic

I had read that it was to be located behind the Theater of the Stars off the path to Fantasmic, but that could be wrong.

Actually, it was going to be located near the main entrance similar to the Rainforest at Animal Kingdom, the bldg itself was going to be located by the Theater of the Stars but the etrance would be in front.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
@insidethemagic -
  • Walt Disney Parks announces details of 'Carousel of Projects' exhibit and topics for 2011 D23 Expo, promising surprises
  • Walt Disney Parks to feature "Carousel of Projects" exhibit with Cars Land, New Fantasyland, Cruise Line at D23 Expo
  • Disney promises surprises for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts presentation at the D23 Expo next month
  • Imagineering Legends Alice Davis, Orlando Ferrante, Bob Gurr, Don Iwerks, and Kim Irvine will be at D23 Expo Parks presentation.
  • Walt Disney Parks and Resorts exhibit at the D23 Expo will include an "opportunity to meet a classic Disney icon in an entirely new way."
  • New Fantasyland is mentioned for the Parks exhibit at D23 Expo, but not on the list of topics for the presentation. Surprises on the way?
  • Other than Fantasyland, nothing from @WaltDisneyWorld is mentioned for Parks & Resorts at the D23 Expo. What could they be holding back...?

To expound on this:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to Take Fans Through the “Carousel of Projects” at Disney’s D23 Expo, August 19-21, 2011

BURBANK, Calif. (July 18, 2011) – Fans attending Disney’s D23 Expo August 19-21 at the Anaheim Convention Center will have the chance to experience “a great big beautiful tomorrow” as they immerse themselves in the future of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which is currently in the biggest period of global expansion in its history.

Drawing inspiration from a classic attraction that debuted at the 1964 New York World’s Fair and has made stops at Disneyland in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts invites attendees to hop aboard the “Carousel ofProjects” for a sneak peek at concepts, designs, models, storytelling tools, and technologies currently being developed at Walt Disney Imagineering for Disney parks around the world.

Throughout the weekend, exclusively at the D23 Expo, fans will get a look at the latest details for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ 11 parks and five resorts around the world, as well as Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club, including:

·Actual figures, props and ride vehicles for Radiators Springs Racers, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the building of Cars Land, the newest land at Disney California Adventure which opens next year.
·The opportunity to meet a classic Disney icon in an entirely new way.
·Concepts, models and plans for Fantasyland, one of the most ambitious expansions in the 40-year history of Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
·What’s new at Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club.

In addition to the pavilion, D23 Expo attendees will also have the chance to attend numerous presentations and panel discussions. On Friday, August 19, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs will give guests in the 4,000-seat main arena an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at some of the biggest projects currently underway at Disney parks, featuring a few surprises along the way.

Imagineers and cast members who create and operate Disney’s parks, resorts, cruise ships, and other vacation experiences will take fans behind-the-magic with nine exciting presentations including:

·Radiator Springs Reality: Imagineering Cars Land for Disney California Adventure – Join Disney•Pixar’s John Lasseter and a panel of Imagineers and Pixar creative talent as they share the twists and turns through the real-life development of Radiator Springs.
·The Making of Star Tours - The Adventures Continue – Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald will share the inside scoop on how Walt Disney Imagineering and George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic began laying the groundwork for a new version of Star Tours.
·A Good Look at Buena Vista Street –Imagineers Lisa Girolami, Ray Spencer, and Coulter Winn provide a preview of the new entrance to Disney California Adventure, an idealized depiction of the Los Angeles Walt Disney lived and worked in throughout the 1920s and 1930s.
·Imagineering the Dream and the Fantasy – Imagineers Joe Lanzisero and Bob Zalk talk about charting the design course of the two newest Disney cruise ships.
·Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering – Disney Legend Marty Sklar will lead a celebration of the careers and accomplishments of Walt Disney Imagineering, including Alice Davis, Orlando Ferrante, Bob Gurr, and Don Iwerks. With special guest and current Imagineer Kim Irvine, daughter of Disney Legend Leota Toombs.

In addition, and for the first time, the Parks and Resorts pavilion will also feature Mickey’s of Glendale, an outlet of Walt Disney Imagineering’s employee-only store, where—for just three days– guests can shop for “Carousel of Projects” souvenirs and collectibles and Walt Disney Imagineering merchandise not available anywhere else.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...upcoming-attractions-carousel-projects-16985/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom