D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not in the know on who's who (besides Lee, Raven, and the people here), but who is this ThemeParkOne guy? He makes some very bold proclamations on his Twitter. That's perfectly good if he actually does know things, but who exactly is he? Not personally, but i'm just wondering how he gets his info. Is he some sort of insider like Lee or something? Reading his Twitter posts, he's teasing major new rebootings and rides at both Epcot's Future World AND Hollywood Studios. How trustworthy is he? Has he gotten info right before?

He said to expect major good changes to WDW in the near future and that D23 wouldn't be getting any "hollow announcements" (i assume he means vague blue sky stuff that may not be built). Not sure what to think.

It should also be noted that on July 6th, he stated via Twitter that the Hatbox Ghost will not be coming to DL or WDW. This is apparently actually coming, it was confirmed in another thread... Going further back to June 23rd, he stated that there were no plans to make practical use of the Fantasyland skyway building. But as we speak, it is being demo'd to build new bathrooms (insiders here saying part of it may play host to a Rapunzel meet n greet).

So i'm somewhat sketchy on this guy/girls/whoever. Credentials?

yeti

^I think the Twitterheads are getting a little too twitterpated with this one...seems to me like they're flocking to the wrong herald.

puntagordabob

Going further back to June 23rd, he stated that there were no plans to make practical use of the Fantasyland skyway building. But as we speak, it is being demo'd to build new bathrooms (insiders here saying part of it may play host to a Rapunzel meet n greet).

In all fairness to whomever the themepark person you are discussing is... he was right about the no plans to make use of the Fantasyland Skyways building...I would say knocking it down is not using it at all!

MerlinTheGoat

It just seems like this guy is promising grand stuff to be announced and a glorious future for the parks, which i just can't imagine happening with the present mentality among the powers that be.

Besides the hate for Al Lutz, ThemeParkOne also isn't worried about Meg Crofton. It'll be interesting to see how his predictions pan out. All it will take is D23 to see how much of what he says is truth. Still would like to know who he is. He mentioned WDI in a tweet somewhere in May, offering to sit down with Al Lutz in person, as if he's part of WDI. Is that true? Anyone at all know who this guy/girl/whoever is?

Fair enough about the skyway building, i didn't think about it THAT way in reading it. Though i'd still say he was off about Hatbox Ghost. I'll keep his comments in mind when D23 comes around. Specifically the stuff where major changes were going to be made to Future World and Hollywood Studios.

dxwwf3

Hollywood Studios is the biggest problem park because Toy Story Mania requires the most planning of any attraction on Disney Property. Star Tours proved that a high demand Fastpass thrill attraction isn't going to be enough to keep the Toy Story Fastpasses from running out by noon each day.

I thought Star Tours would really help bring some crowd away from Midway Mania, but that sure wasn't the case in June.

It blows my mind too. I like Midway Mania, I like it a lot, but it is not a top 5 attraction in that park, IMO.

RSoxNo1

I thought Star Tours would really help bring some crowd away from Midway Mania, but that sure wasn't the case in June.

It blows my mind too. I like Midway Mania, I like it a lot, but it is not a top 5 attraction in that park, IMO.

1000-1200 people an hour, and it's the most family friendly attraction in the park. To me, an attraction like Ride and Go Seek would be a much better choice than a Monster's Inc Coaster.

More info from @themeparkone courtesy of @Curmudge1 for the questions

Question: timeline for a major Animal Kingdom expansion to break ground?
Answer: Within 5 years
Question: Which WDW park will receive the most attention in the meantime? (aside from FL at the MK)?
Answer: The Studios and Epcot are currently on the table for some major reboots.
Question: Cool. Any chance of a stateside Ratatouille attraction?
Answer: Of course there's a chance. Might come to the studios. Epcot is out due to space.

Courtesy of @theMesazon
Question: Which WDW park is going to get the most announcement love at D23 Expo?
Answer: MK will be getting attention, but if things are on track, the Studios should get some pretty exciting attention.

Courtesy of @cbconglom
Question: what are your thoughts of nextgen compared to the attraction that might be coming to the studios or other projects on the tabl
Answer: apples and hamburgers. Nextgen can't be compared to anything- not even Fastpass. It's a whole new 'operating system.'
Question: Will there be any part of Carsland in DHS if it gets an expansion? Or an original attraction, If any.
Answer: Backlot tour doesn't have a definite end date, but it won't be around in 5 years. I am very excited for Nextgen.
Question: timeline for a major Animal Kingdom expansion to break ground?
Answer: Within the next 5 years.

Courtesy of @SoEsquivelLike
Question: Will there be any part of Carsland in DHS if it gets an expansion? Or an original attraction, If any.
Answer: At least one original attraction for DHS could be built. Carsland for DHS is definitely not a lock, just a proposal.

Courtesy of @archreport
Question: Backlot tour doesn't have a definite end date, but it won't be around in 5 years. I am very excited for Nextgen.
Answer: Nothing because there's no truth at all to that rumor. Not even a glimmer.
Courtesy of @Exprcoofto
Question: Is NextGen going to seriously impact the way locals enjoy the parks?
Answer: Yes and no. It's certainly not something you have to partake in. It's like fastpass - an opt in. It will change crowd flow.

JWG

When he's right...he's right. It's scary how much today's WDW is reminiscent of late '90s Disneyland.

Do you know what was good about the late '90s DL? It turned into the early 2000's DL.

Everyone is due to be disappointed by the upcoming and underwhelming MK 40th. HOWEVER, following that comes another 50th. Maybe they're biding their time...

Ignohippo

1000-1200 people an hour, and it's the most family friendly attraction in the park. To me, an attraction like Ride and Go Seek would be a much better choice than a Monster's Inc Coaster.

More info from @themeparkone courtesy of @Curmudge1 for the questions

Courtesy of @theMesazon

Courtesy of @cbconglom

Courtesy of @SoEsquivelLike

Courtesy of @archreport

Courtesy of @Exprcoofto

I think the copy and pasting of some of this may be messed up.

As for his info, there's tons of this on the Apple boards every time a new product is rumored to come out. 9/10 times, the person is just BS'ing everyone.

Most of this stuff sounds pretty logical but one thing really stands out: World of Color coming to DTD. That is complete nonsense. First, the lake cannot be drained; second, there's no way Disney is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for a show that will (A) take paying guests out of the parks, and (B) won't have any direct monetary gains for DTD. if Fantasmic is too costly to operate nightly in a park where people actually pay for admission, there's no way they'd then go and build the same type of show for people to go and watch it for free.

Because of this (and the denial of the Hatbox Ghost), I would be VERY skeptical of anything this person says.

Lee

Adventurer
Most of this stuff sounds pretty logical but one thing really stands out: World of Color coming to DTD. That is complete nonsense.
True...if you assume it would be on the scale of the DCA version, and in the lake.

But...What is being considered is much smaller, and would go into the current parking lot.

Ignohippo

True...if you assume it would be on the scale of the DCA version, and in the lake.

But...What is being considered is much smaller, and would go into the current parking lot.

Ah! Very interesting. Thanks Lee!!

I'm still not sure I understand the viability of it though. A light show I could understand but with parking and space at a premium at DTD (well, space will be an issue if they ever get HW, or whatever, off the ground) and why build something that could take away visitors from the parks? I know they want to get retailers in DTD, but I would imagine this type of show (even at a smaller scale) would eat away at any new rent they would make. There aren't that many spaces to rent to justify the cost.

I can hear it now: "Bessie, wanna take the younguns over to that dang ol' Studios place and watch the Fantastamagic show tonight?"
"Nah Gus, let's save our money and just see that water spectacooler over at that there shopping place. It's free dangit!"

Cosmic Commando

The biggest issues with Fastpass are a function of a lack of attractions that have the demand that necessitates it.

Magic Kingdom doesn't have this problem as the highest demand FP attractions (Space Mountain and Peter Pan's Flight) are offset by 6 other Fastpass attractions in that park.

Epcot really only has two attractions that need Fastpass (Soarin' and Test Track), thankfully on most days you can acquire a Fastpass for either attraction at 3:00 PM or later. Having said that, moreso than any park other than DHS, Epcot needs a high capacity attraction that requires Fastpass to help increase the availability at Soarin' and Test track

Hollywood Studios is the biggest problem park because Toy Story Mania requires the most planning of any attraction on Disney Property. Star Tours proved that a high demand Fastpass thrill attraction isn't going to be enough to keep the Toy Story Fastpasses from running out by noon each day.

Animal Kingdom has a decent slate of attractions that require Fastpass with 4 of the 6 attractions having and needing fastpass on a large percentage of days. They are all high capacity attractions as well so the balance of demand is more reasonable than any park other than the Magic Kingdom.

How did I know that when I saw such a verbose soliloquy on Fastpass, it would be you who wrote it? :lol:

Maybe we're just getting hung up on wording? Al says nothing "major"... well maybe major for him is a major park expansion like the DCA re-do phase II or something on the level of the FLE.

Maybe I'm wrong, but currently there are NO new rides or major refurbs scheduled other than FLE? I know it's a cheat to say "We're not getting anything new other than this giant expansion", but to have nothing announced for the other three parks coming out of the Expo would be really disappointing. That would mean we'd probably be looking at a 2015ish earliest opening for anything new at the other parks.

jhastings74

I'd guess they would show something, even if it's major Blue Sky that doesn't have any chance of happening. If they just do more art of already announced stuff, there will be some unhappy customers walking out of there and the event will be labled a disappointment.

If there's nothing announced for WDW there's going to a pretty big explosion from all the heads exploding. Then, jt will show up and remind us all that it's all part of the plan...

First of all, golf clap (*clap clap clap*) to the JT reference. :)

Second, I am really hoping that they don't just show the same type of concept art that they slowly...and carefully, I'm sure...choose to release on their Parks Blog site. We've pretty much seen most of the concepts for Ariel's Undersea Adventure, not to mention the actual ride-through, so any announcement about that would be very disappointing. Same goes with most any other concept art for FLE. And that's all mainly because they have been releasing info as the work has been progressing. So...what does that leave them?

It seems that they will have to be very careful with this *particular* expo and run the right balance in releasing new 'surprises' mixed with legitimate ideas that may seriously come to fruition. I am keeping my fingers crossed (hesitantly, but optimistically) for at least one announcement that will make me go "WHOA!".

lebeau

Just wanted to say your comments in this thread on the current state of DHS and TSM are spot-on. The park needs family rides more than anything else.

jt04

I'd guess they would show something, even if it's major Blue Sky that doesn't have any chance of happening. If they just do more art of already announced stuff, there will be some unhappy customers walking out of there and the event will be labled a disappointment.

If there's nothing announced for WDW there's going to a pretty big explosion from all the heads exploding. Then, jt will show up and remind us all that it's all part of the plan...

I have my doubts they have a final plan decided on at this date. Probably several ideas they are considering which would explain the lack of leaks.

Expect several thrilling announcements at D23. Of course, none of them matter if WDW doesn't get its maintenance back on track.

As a CM who frequents the parks weekly (except for July and August), I think NextGen is a brilliant idea except for the ride scheduling. Sure, it sounds theoretically wonderful for the miniscule percentage of Disney fans who get on online forums; but it's going to be an enormous headache for regular guests who don't want or understand how to schedule things—for example, a 1:00 ride time for Winnie-the-Pooh. Plus, this won't make queues magically disappear. An average day at the MK tops 35k guests. If 300 of them show up between 1 and 1:15 to ride WTP, they have to stand somewhere.

But as for everything else, like ride queues and personalized attraction experiences and character M&Gs, yeah, bring it on. :)

This new source people are quoting is obviously a fraud. You only have to read a couple "predictions" to conclude that. Obviously the poor soul is trying to inflate expectations to create a backlash. Pathetic.

That said I still think they will offer up something new and exciting at WDW as these events only happen every other year and to not so seems like it would be a lost opportunity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom