D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

misterID

I'd guess they would show something, even if it's major Blue Sky that doesn't have any chance of happening. If they just do more art of already announced stuff, there will be some unhappy customers walking out of there and the event will be labled a disappointment.

If there's nothing announced for WDW there's going to a pretty big explosion from all the heads exploding. Then, jt will show up and remind us all that it's all part of the plan...

lebeau

The part of the article that interested me the most was the stuff about XPass and NextGen. Of course, Al made it sound absoultely terrible!

Slowjack

Does anyone know what projects exactly where part of the planned Disney Decade?
I don't remember all of the projects. But for WDW, some that did come to be include the Port Orleans & (then called) Dixie Landings. In general the big wave of hotel expansions at WDW were part of the Decade. One big one at WDW that didn't happen was the Swiss pavilion. Of course, that just joins a long list of announced-but-never-built World Showcase pavilions, and I would say that several other countries got closer to reality.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

RSoxNo1

I really feel that Tom Staggs' parks and resorts presentation should focus on the stateside parks, even if there is nothing new to announce. I feel that the majority of the people in attendance/following along online will be interested in Disney World and Disneyland. If they want to have a separate panel for the overseas parks, or just Shanghai related announcements, they should keep that separate from the stateside presentation.

If there are no new attractions to announce, I would rather see a ride through of the New Fantasyland attractions and Carsland additions then hearing about the exciting new things going to Shanghai. The only reason I'd want to know about Shanghai, is if the rumors of cloned attractions in WDW will be coming to fruition.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Reading the OP, I don't think it would be that bad if they announced a studios attraction and a world of color type show at DtD (maybe even tied into the changes improvements to DtD). Not great, but not bad. Of course, DAK would be the big gaping hole.

tirian

Expect several thrilling announcements at D23. Of course, none of them matter if WDW doesn't get its maintenance back on track.

As a CM who frequents the parks weekly (except for July and August), I think NextGen is a brilliant idea except for the ride scheduling. Sure, it sounds theoretically wonderful for the miniscule percentage of Disney fans who get on online forums; but it's going to be an enormous headache for regular guests who don't want or understand how to schedule things—for example, a 1:00 ride time for Winnie-the-Pooh. Plus, this won't make queues magically disappear. An average day at the MK tops 35k guests. If 300 of them show up between 1 and 1:15 to ride WTP, they have to stand somewhere.

But as for everything else, like ride queues and personalized attraction experiences and character M&Gs, yeah, bring it on. :)

misterID

I really feel that Tom Staggs' parks and resorts presentation should focus on the stateside parks, even if there is nothing new to announce. I feel that the majority of the people in attendance/following along online will be interested in Disney World and Disneyland. If they want to have a separate panel for the overseas parks, or just Shanghai related announcements, they should keep that separate from the stateside presentation.

If there are no new attractions to announce, I would rather see a ride through of the New Fantasyland attractions and Carsland additions then hearing about the exciting new things going to Shanghai. The only reason I'd want to know about Shanghai, is if the rumors of cloned attractions in WDW will be coming to fruition.

Well, I think hai will be the center of attention as far as new attractions are concerned. But if its anything like what HKDL got I'm really interested. Next to Carsland, Mystic Manor and Grizzly Trail are 2 of the coolest looking attractions to come out of WDI since JTTCOTE.

aladdin2007

Expect several thrilling announcements at D23. Of course, none of them matter if WDW doesn't get its maintenance back on track.

As a CM who frequents the parks weekly (except for July and August), I think NextGen is a brilliant idea except for the ride scheduling. Sure, it sounds theoretically wonderful for the miniscule percentage of Disney fans who get on online forums; but it's going to be an enormous headache for regular guests who don't want or understand how to schedule things—for example, a 1:00 ride time for Winnie-the-Pooh. Plus, this won't make queues magically disappear. An average day at the MK tops 35k guests. If 300 of them show up between 1 and 1:15 to ride WTP, they have to stand somewhere.

But as for everything else, like ride queues and personalized attraction experiences and character M&Gs, yeah, bring it on. :)

I hope the above is not the thrilling announcements your referring to because it sounds like nothing but a big huge problem with required ride scheduling, and more and more M&Gs? So thrilled. :brick:

WDWFigment

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I really don't think that's how NextGen XPass will work.

The line from Staggs that people could (and I'm paraphrasing since I can't find the original article) "obtain FastPasses from home before your trip" that has now transformed into "scheduling when you'll do which attraction months in advance" doesn't necessarily mean what people have taken it to mean.

The ability to obtain FastPasses from home is probably only an option to those people who have smartphones AND are leaving home the same day as their trips. In other words, my bet is that I see this as the ability to use your smartphone as one medium for FastPasses, without the other medium or the MO of FastPass distribution changing at all. By saying what he did, Staggs certainly tacitly implied more, but that's the way marketing language works.

That's just my bet. If someone in the know, who knows more about this wants to contradict that, feel free. I don't see a system of scheduling ride times days or months in advance coming into being. The logistics would be too difficult.

dxwwf3

Yeah let's hope that this "xPass" isn't quite what was described in the article. There has to be some spontaneity in a WDW trip. Personally, I think the current FP system works wonderfully and should only be tweaked, not completely changed.

As far as the Disney Decade, sure most of what was announced wasn't actually built, but the 1990's will probably go down as the best decade of Disney Theme Parks in our lifetimes. I can't imagine the type of attractions and resorts being built like they were in the 90's ever again.

aladdin2007

Yeah. It's the same people in charge. I don't get a sense of any impending change in operation methods.

Does Staggs not realize by now this is a problem here? Or has he just been brainwashed with spiffy looking numbers to not care how WDW is operated and ran? After reading Al's article, (once I got through all of his WDW trashing, even though he is not far off base but he doesnt have to be so nasty about it) it sounds like the Meg move gives Disneyland even more freedom yet bodes worse and worse for us.

TP2000

When he's right...he's right. It's scary how much today's WDW is reminiscent of late '90s Disneyland.

Yes, I lived through that era at Disneyland, and it wasn't pretty.

The analogy that Al Lutz drew very effectively in his column today was striking. I hadn't thought of it that way before, but Al is right. :lookaroun

tirian

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I really don't think that's how NextGen XPass will work.

The line from Staggs that people could (and I'm paraphrasing since I can't find the original article) "obtain FastPasses from home before your trip" that has now transformed into "scheduling when you'll do which attraction months in advance" doesn't necessarily mean what people have taken it to mean.

The ability to obtain FastPasses from home is probably only an option to those people who have smartphones AND are leaving home the same day as their trips. In other words, my bet is that I see this as the ability to use your smartphone as one medium for FastPasses, without the other medium or the MO of FastPass distribution changing at all. By saying what he did, Staggs certainly tacitly implied more, but that's the way marketing language works.

That's just my bet. If someone in the know, who knows more about this wants to contradict that, feel free. I don't see a system of scheduling ride times days or months in advance coming into being. The logistics would be too difficult.

To some degree, you're right about FP itself. X-pass is different and would indeed require scheduling—if it's implemented in its current plan, which Al described accurately.

I exaggerated the WTP bit for the sake of a worst-case scenario example.

RSoxNo1

Yeah let's hope that this "xPass" isn't quite what was described in the article. There has to be some spontaneity in a WDW trip. Personally, I think the current FP system works wonderfully and should only be tweaked, not completely changed.

As far as the Disney Decade, sure most of what was announced wasn't actually built, but the 1990's will probably go down as the best decade of Disney Theme Parks in our lifetimes. I can't imagine the type of attractions and resorts being built like they were in the 90's ever again.

The biggest issues with Fastpass are a function of a lack of attractions that have the demand that necessitates it.

Magic Kingdom doesn't have this problem as the highest demand FP attractions (Space Mountain and Peter Pan's Flight) are offset by 6 other Fastpass attractions in that park.

Epcot really only has two attractions that need Fastpass (Soarin' and Test Track), thankfully on most days you can acquire a Fastpass for either attraction at 3:00 PM or later. Having said that, moreso than any park other than DHS, Epcot needs a high capacity attraction that requires Fastpass to help increase the availability at Soarin' and Test track

Hollywood Studios is the biggest problem park because Toy Story Mania requires the most planning of any attraction on Disney Property. Star Tours proved that a high demand Fastpass thrill attraction isn't going to be enough to keep the Toy Story Fastpasses from running out by noon each day.

Animal Kingdom has a decent slate of attractions that require Fastpass with 4 of the 6 attractions having and needing fastpass on a large percentage of days. They are all high capacity attractions as well so the balance of demand is more reasonable than any park other than the Magic Kingdom.

To some degree, you're right about FP itself. X-pass is different and would indeed require scheduling—if it's implemented in its current plan, which Al described accurately.

I exaggerated the WTP bit for the sake of a worst-case scenario example.

WTP?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom