D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

tirian

I am not part of the wealthy socioeconomic group but I will voice, as part of the minority probably, that I would LOVE a pay and tiered FP system.

I am a very regular AP WDW goer and I, like many of us, know enough strategies to wait in the least amount of lines as possible ... even so ... I would still PAY to have a special or more advanced or more exclusive FP.

I know this is a thread about the exact rumor but I thought I'd offer my two cents on how I see it working ... sort of like the Six Flags systems, you could have a general free FP system for resort guests or AP holders or DVC customers and then have the basic FP system to buy into if you are off-property etc ... Then there should be an upgrade system you can buy into, a tiered level of service which could offer things such as more than one FP at a given time or specialized lines or day plans or whatever.

I don't chime in often but this was something I was definitely down with if a pay FP system was in order.

See this dot? .

That's the minority you're in. :lol: However, I acknowledge and respect your view.

tomman710

That's the minority you're in. :lol: However, I acknowledge and respect your view.

Oh totally ... I understand I would be one of the few not crying out but that's probably why I would like it even more ... not because its angering people but because so many would be against it therefore not use it so in theory providing me and those like me with way less lines ...

... or maybe I am just an elitist snob and am easily fooled by pseudo-superiority. I don't count that out.

misterID

Shanghai would be really interesting, at least I could get there by train (I have fear of flying) although it takes a little longer... :rolleyes:

You'll probably enjoy the park more than I will get to, but I'm VERY interested in their Pirates ride. I hear they're supposed to get a lot more original attractions. The OLC don't like clones.

misterID

There will probably be a lot during D23 making its way out. Before then, I don't know. The FLE plans made their way out, though. So you never know.

TP2000

Two: Al sometimes doesn't know what the h*ll he is talking about. For example, he was sure that the new executive structure would free Anaheim from Florida. Oops. This could be another one of those times.

I'm no expert on Disney corporate culture specifically, but I have been around the corporate world for a few decades, and on the face of it this would seem that Meg took on a much smaller pie than Al Weiss had. And she has double-duty to boot as she still has the same responsibilities as the WDW President, but also oversees Anaheim and Paris in what appears to be a purely figurehead position. In most corporate cultures, the signs of Meg's new responsibilities all point to someone being kept on a rather short leash by the top dog, in this case Staggs as the Chairman of Meg's division.

One could even suggest that Meg was tasked in that new role purely because it looks good to have a senior Disney exec that isn't yet another white male like all the other white males that have run Disney's major divisions for eternity. But that would be terribly Politically Incorrect to mention that unspeakable thought in polite company, so I won't. :D

The whole Meg thing is very odd, in that Disney doesn't appear to be mentioning it at all. This comment on another board from a very well-respected longtime CM poster is quite interesting, and pretty much sums up the response in Anaheim to Meg taking on a dramatically diminished version of Al Weiss' old role.

So I've heard the backstage buzz from management lately. And our big top manager who has been with the company for 25 years and used to work in the "One Disney" group I just flat out asked him up in the office what the Meg news meant.

And without fail, the news elicits a big, giant yawn. Even the most senior manager in our group who was from One Disney (Or "Global Integration" as it's called) said he didn't expect anything new, and the word he'd heard was that George K just had some of his strings cut since the mega-department Al Weiss role no longer exists and Meg as the replacement has plenty to worry about with still running WDW and that Tom Staggs was hot on her tail to turn WDW around ASAP.

So take that for what it's worth, but the buzz as it is around Disneyland management is a communal shoulder shrug and a nod that this is good news for Anahein's growing freedom from Florida.

We have yet to see or hear from Meg. She hasn't made a single announcement or CM communication attempt via all the regular online tools she has at her disposal via The Hub and CenterStage, etc. Not that anyone ever cared about Al Weiss or ever saw him or mentioned his name EVER, but you would think Meg would have a little blurb about her new role somewhere within the first two weeks. Apparently not.

Wonder if she'll really show up for D23 next month?

Yes, it should be fascinating to see what is released at D23, and who is there among Disney execs to release it.

Meg or any of her execs made absolutely no attempt to stop by the D23 Destination D at WDW this past spring. I wonder how she'll handle D23 Expo?

Lee

Adventurer
I'm no expert on Disney corporate culture specifically, but I have been around the corporate world for a few decades, and on the face of it this would seem that Meg took on a much smaller pie than Al Weiss had. And she has double-duty to boot as she still has the same responsibilities as the WDW President, but also oversees Anaheim and Paris in what appears to be a purely figurehead position. In most corporate cultures, the signs of Meg's new responsibilities all point to someone being kept on a rather short leash by the top dog, in this case Staggs as the Chairman of Meg's division.

One could even suggest that Meg was tasked in that new role purely because it looks good to have a senior Disney exec that isn't yet another white male like all the other white males that have run Disney's major divisions for eternity. But that would be terribly Politically Incorrect to mention that unspeakable thought in polite company, so I won't. :D

The whole Meg thing is very odd, in that Disney doesn't appear to be mentioning it at all. This comment on another board from a very well-respected longtime CM poster is quite interesting, and pretty much sums up the response in Anaheim to Meg taking on a dramatically diminished version of Al Weiss' old role.

Yes, it should be fascinating to see what is released at D23, and who is there among Disney execs to release it.

Meg or any of her execs made absolutely no attempt to stop by the D23 Destination D at WDW this past spring. I wonder how she'll handle D23 Expo?

I'm kinda bored, so I think I'll stir the Meg pot a bit...

Food for thought: Two of the people who had their personal roles expanded, Meg and Karl Holz, are long time Disney execs. However, word from inside is that both are/have been planning to retire in the fairly short term.

Why promote two execs into pretty powerful positions if you know they intend to leave the company in the not so distant future?

Hmmmm....wonder if it's related to that little pow-wow that took place at WDW a few weeks ago....:animwink:

Just sayin'....

WDW Vacationer

I'm kinda bored, so I think I'll stir the Meg pot a bit...

Food for thought: Two of the people who had their personal roles expanded, Meg and Karl Holz, are long time Disney execs. However, word from inside is that both are/have been planning to retire in the fairly short term.

Why promote two execs into pretty powerful positions if you know they intend to leave the company in the not so distant future?

Hmmmm....wonder if it's related to that little pow-wow that took place at WDW a few weeks ago....:animwink:

Just sayin'....

So...using them as a scapegoat for something...? Or am I on the wrong train of thought?

So...using them as a scapegoat for something...? Or am I on the wrong train of thought?

I took it to mean more of, promote them just to get them out of their job, and let them sort of "idle" in high position in the company for a short while until they retire... this allows you to essentially let someone else do their day to day duties without you having to get rid of anyone, which is best for all parties involved. Anyone else think this is what it meant?

JustInTime

I don't.
But nice job on thinking it through. You are in the ballpark.

The fact that Meg was moved into her position to solely transition a sale of the parks have been rumored for a while now. Is that what you are hinting at? Have you heard any other news?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom