D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

breakin2

They are interested in selling (and they are interested, its not speculation) purely because of money.
It would give them a massive infusion of cash as well as large annual licensing fees from the buyer. Also income from WDI doing work for that company.

Not to mention it would get them out of the problematic theme park/hotel business.

Wouldn't this make ticket/resort prices go up if some other company had to pay for licensing of all that Disney stuff and for WDI to do their jobs? I imagine that would be a hell of an expense, on top of the the physical park purchasing price (holy, alliteration Batman!)

What would Disney even do with that kind of cash infusion? Pay stock-holders? Save it for a rainy day? There aren't many fields that Disney isn't already in that they would need to buy into.

Computer Magic

They are interested in selling (and they are interested, its not speculation) purely because of money.
It would give them a massive infusion of cash as well as large annual licensing fees from the buyer. Also income from WDI doing work for that company.

Not to mention it would get them out of the problematic theme park/hotel business.

Selling the parks doesn't bother me. As long as it gets in the right hands and is passionate about bringing back the quality that was intended. A private ran company may work so they don't have to worry about wallstreet. hmm was Eisner around during this big meeting in WDW :lookaroun :p

Let's face the truth, Disney is a company name and not a family business. Walt Disney family sold their stock a long time ago.

my uncle inherented a local bar. He sold the bar, kept the liquor license and leased the liquor license back to the new owner. He making a ton of money not doing anything.

My question, I take Disney would retain the land to keep FL from revoking their agreement?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Good point. Another revenue stream from leasing the land.

Lee,

Have you heard any potential timeframe for a sale? I'm assuming it's not the type of news they would want to release in front of the dedicated masses at D23.....

devoy1701

Lee,

Have you heard any potential timeframe for a sale? I'm assuming it's not the type of news they would want to release in front of the dedicated masses at D23.....

I'm also wonder when they would announce such a thing. I'm assuming sometime on a Friday after the bell sounds...but no doubt an announcement would hurt the stock price. Seems I should get ready to dump some cash into Disney if this rumor shifts from "shopping the parks" to "we've heard there's a buyer."

cbconglom

If you want to participate in wire fraud and computer tampering.. sure you should have asked for their account info... :rolleyes:

i think you misunderstood. i meant should i of asked the nice lady if her brother would mind if i emailed him sometime to ask him some questions about imagineering

CrescentLake

A new dragon would seem to be a no brainer...but...well...you never know.

There is potential for the MI ride to show up for DHS. That would be the least surprising thing they could add.

So does that mean we could see the MI announcement at D23? Not that I'm not grateful for the F! refurb, new parade and GF DVC, but I really wish there was more...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Initially yes. I'm positive. The stock market runs on pure emotion when it comes to these types of announcementa and while it might help the price in the long run, there will definitely be an initial down tick.
I would have to agree. Knee jerk, emotion based reaction to news seems to be MO for Wall St. I am sure we all remember how much Apple Stock dropped when there was the mere rumor of Jobs being in ill health.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee,

No. There currently is no sale. I know of two potential buyers who have looked it over, but made no offer.
As it stands, the board is open to offers, but so far.....zip.

So does that mean we could see the MI announcement at D23? Not that I'm not grateful for the F! refurb, new parade and GF DVC, but I really wish there was more...
Well of course it could happen. Lots of things could happen.

As I said before, put money on the new parade and the Fantasmic refurb. Maybe the GF DVC. As of right now, any thing else would come as a surprise to me.

TalkingHead

Initially yes. I'm positive. The stock market runs on pure emotion when it comes to these types of announcementa and while it might help the price in the long run, there will definitely be an initial down tick.

Wall St would be happy with WDC selling -- less risk for the company, more certain revenue that isn't tied to tourism ups and downs. My guess WDC stock would jump at a sale.

TalkingHead

I would have to agree. Knee jerk, emotion based reaction to news seems to be MO for Wall St. I am sure we all remember how much Apple Stock dropped when there was the mere rumor of Jobs being in ill health.

Different situation. That drop, I assume, was related to uncertainty in corporate leadership.

This would be a corporation dropping an unpopular and risky part of the company (in Wall St's eyes).

Disday

I'm not sure that Wall Street would be pleased with a sale of the parks. One of the main reasons the stock was so high the other day was because there was a positive outlook for the parks with the improving economy. - It's like I read the other day when someone (I believe an analyst) was making a comparison and said 'that's like Disney without the Magic Kingdom'.:)

TinkerBelle8878

If they're thinking of selling, (which just sounds sad and we all know what happened when they sold the Disney Stores) why not sell some of the hotels instead of the actual parks?

Maybe they overbuilt? They'd never admit it. If they kept it at the 3 monorail hotels, 2 mods and like 2 values, all that maintenance and upkeep for the others would go to someone else. From what I understand they technically don't own the DVC resorts. Its another company, correct? Why not do something similar with the over glut of hotels?

Especially since the prices keep rising for the guests and people are looking more into staying offsite.

Or could they sell 2 parks? Keep MK and Epcot but sell DHS and AK. Those are the two that need the most work and are 'unfinished'. So sell those, let that other company build them up and put money into them. These two have existed for quite a while now and still remain mostly half day parks. They'd seem to be to biggest money losers to me. So offload them and keep the land rights and whatever else it is they retain in Paris and Tokyo.

That seems like a win/win to me. Epcot and MK are far more flagship WDW parks anyway.

tirian

Maybe they overbuilt? They'd never admit it. If they kept it at the 3 monorail hotels, 2 mods and like 2 values, all that maintenance and upkeep for the others would go to someone else.
That's exactly what the problem is. It's also their problem in Europe (too many hotels).

Magenta Panther

I guess I'm naive. But I just can't imagine any person who's part of the Disney company wanting to sell the parks. The parks are so much a part of the company's identity. The Castle is the movie division's logo! I'm just stunned that there is a real desire somewhere in the company to sell Disneyland. It makes me sick. Disney really is dead if that happens. Maybe it's been dead for years, the magic that made it special, and I've been kidding myself. Maybe a lot of us have been kidding ourselves. Yes, it's a corporation, but somewhere in that corporation, for a while at least, there was still a trace of Walt's spirit. I guess it's gone, and has been gone, for some time now. I hate the suits that run the place now, who could even consider such a thing. If the parks are so difficult to manage and wring profit from, then why the heck did they keep building so many of them all over the world? It's just stupid. This whole thing is more than sad, it's tragic, it's greedy and it's un-Disney. :( I don't give a crap what Wall Street would think, what would Main Street think, if the parks were sold? I think a lot of people would be horrified. I still think it would be a PR disaster. Budweiser? Budweiser was beer! Who cares who owns that company? And the idea that a sale could be good for the parks...come on. Look at the Chrysler car company. It was doing well, was selling cars and had no debt and a surplus when it was sold to Daimler (by a greedy exec who wanted a platinum parachute). Daimler, even though it too was a car company, ran the brand into the ground (or off the road, as it were) and now Fiat has the company and who knows what will happen. Why shouldn't the same thing happen to the parks if somebody else, even someone in the park business, bought them? Things could easily get worse. Disneyland had a vision behind it, and it wasn't focused on money. If Disney insiders don't have that vision, there's very little chance a foreign investor would.

Isn't there ANYONE in the Disney company that cares about its legacy of creativity and innovation? Is it all just various properties now to be sold off at a profit?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
D23 should have plenty to review on, if WDW Imagineering would get to work!

For instance, some new seasonal shows for CBJ. A new Journey Into Imagination ride and possibly, a new Imageworks. A brand new pavilion in WoL's space. A new country in the World Showcase. Making the mouth and eyes move on Lightning Mcqueen in L!M!A!ESS. A new backlot studios tour featuring scenes from classic movies. A new updated Great Movie Ride featuring new movies. Monsters Inc. Roller Coaster in HS. A new Phineas and Ferb attraction to take the place of Sounds Dangerous. A new show to replace the long-running Beauty and the Beast Live (I love it, but something new should go here). The new Princess meet and greet taking place of Snow White's Scary Adventures. A new attraction to take the place of Stitch's Great Escape. A new, updated, Carousel of Progress. New, updated, Tom Sawyer Island. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln in Main Street. Storybook Circus. Fantasyland expansion. Interactive Peter Pan queue line. The return of the original Enchanted Tiki room. A small expansion/upgrade to Maelstrom. A new boat-dark ride for Mexico. A different dino-land to replace Chester and Hester. A new Bugs Life 3D film in The Tree of Life. Fixed Yeti. New show for Pocahontas and her Forests Friends's original location. Expansion on Camp Minnie Mickey. New land replacing Rafiki's Planet Watch.....:zipit:

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
D23 should have plenty to review on, if WDW Imagineering would get to work!
What? They have. Blame the suits for dithering about green lighting or not.

WDI has 30+ attraction overhauls or new builds ready to go - that I Know of off the top of my head - for todays parks if they were allowed.

Don`t blame Glendale. Or WDI Orlando even.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom