D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

Kamikaze

So, you prefer the devil you know.

That's fine. But from your earlier comments, it sounds like if a Chinese company came in and raised the standards beyond anything any domestic Disney park has ever seen, you'd be going to Six Flags in a "Buy American" T-shirt.

I'd become the biggest Cedar Fair fanboy on the planet.

JustInTime

I'll put it this way: I don't care much about the declining standards, rising prices, less options for food, etc. I can deal with all that, and I won't complain about it very often.

But you sell the parks? To a foreign company? (It would have to be, really) And its rumored to be a Chinese company? I'll riot.

It could possibly be the event that turns Twitter use into a social-political movement.

And I totally agree. My heart was broken and my mind was disturbed when I heard the rumor. I understand the plusses and minuses of each, but it's the principle. Just because Disney has lowered their standard, doesn't mean we have to lower ours and just toss in the towel. The mentality that "Disney doesn't care, so sell it to somebody who will" is a dangerous one. If anything we should be up in arms and force Disney to be responsible for their actions (or lack there of). If everyone had this way of thinking, everything would be tossed around to new and promising owners. America is already in danger because this mentality as it is and Disney Parks are the last thing I want to see outsourced. Just because the going gets tough, that doesn't mean to just dump hardships on somebody else. You stand up for what is yours and what is right. The simple fact is, I wan't Disney World to be "One Man's Dream". And keep it that way.

Fractal514

If WDW were sold to a company, like the OLC situation, I would be sad.

But not for WDW, I'd be sad for Disney as a company, I'd be happy for WDW.

kittybubbles

Hmmmm....wonder if it's related to that little pow-wow that took place at WDW a few weeks ago....:animwink:

Just sayin'....

so Apple announced their bid to buy HULU today. Could it be that the pow-wow was someone clearing their intentions and ensuring that there was no conflict of interest.

Really though I know the meeting could have been about anything...but this is the only recently announced news that I have seen that might have caused some folks to get together and talk about a few things.....

TalkingHead

I'll put it this way: I don't care much about the declining standards, rising prices, less options for food, etc. I can deal with all that, and I won't complain about it very often.

But you sell the parks? To a foreign company? (It would have to be, really) And its rumored to be a Chinese company? I'll riot.

Wow. Just wow.

MerlinTheGoat

As sad as the concept is, i'd seriously consider embracing the concept of the Disney parks being sold to a foreign different company. That is, IF (big if here for sure) the standards reached an amazing new height (like the OLC and TDL), great food, great cutting edge and well maintained attractions, decent ticket prices, etc. It has been said many times, there exists at least one company that can do Disney better than Disney, sad though that may be to many people.

Priorities indeed. If selling the parks to another company meant getting a far superior and better overall experience, i'd seriously consider celebrating. Sad if that's what it takes, but i know that it CAN work from what happened with Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea. It would depend on the company. It could potentially make things even worse in the wrong hands.:ROFLOL:

Doubt it will happen regardless though, so no one has to worry either way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I find it funny people always forget that TDL is like stuck in time. Yes it's clean, yes it has lavish parades, but attraction wise it's pretty much stuck in time.

TDS again was clean and detailed to the max. But look at what they've done since opening (again excluding entertainment). The only thing really of wow is their ToT. Most other stuff has been done in ways that seem to detract from the theme and don't come anywhere close to the standard of the park opening. 'Duffyland'... Turtletalk...

OLC maintains their parks and spends like crazy on merchandise... but outside of entertainment group.. they don't seem to plus the parks virtually at all.

FL revamp? nope - they got the old medieval fair that everyone hates so much
want a shocker? look at dumbo
tomorrowland? It looks like a timewarp back to the 70s version of MK

Look at what attractions they are adding to TDS? Blah spinner.. and more clones. ToT and MonstersInc are really their only good post opening additions.

People act like OLC is flawless. The fantanics just focus on the pros and sweep the negatives under the rug. They seem to make many of the same dumb moves the uS parks do.. they just don't skip on upkeep/cleaning.

MerlinTheGoat

I both agree and disagree about TDL being stuck in the past. Depends on what you're comparing. One good example of a "newer" attraction that really did well is Pooh's Hunny Hunt. One of the best Fantasyland kids dark ride i've seen. Disneysea looks amazing. I wish i had the opportunity to go on Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I agree about Fantasyland though, i'm not a fan of the castle fair style. And Dumbo being so close to HM is incredibly dumb(o).

But in terms of upkeep, it's probably the best, or one of them. It has been a while since a really great new attraction was added there. Of course, that was also the case with most other Disney parks as well until the expansion plans for California Adventure and Magic Kingdom. For the most part, Tokyo at least doesn't close down and ruin old rides for the sake of newer worse ones (though i've heard a lot of hate for their Tiki Room with Stitch).

flynnibus

Premium Member
Considering what was there on opening day, why would anyone expect there to be a lot of additions by now?

Considering how much people complain about parks like DAK and DHS for their lack of actual rides... TDS is just as bad.

Med Harbor - no real rides
Amer Waterfront - ToT only (just added)
Port disc - aquatopia (attraction most people do once.. and skip in the future)
- stormrider
Myst Island - 20k and Journey
Delta - Indy
- raging spirits
Mermaid - 5 kiddie rides
Arabian - Sinbad

So before ToT and raging spirits.. you basically had 3 real attractions, 2 attractions people tend to hate (aquatopia and sinbad) and a bugsland equivalent.

At DHS.. which people still complain is only half day park with not enough to do. You have StarTours, ToT, RNRC, TSMM as your major attractions.. and in the past the backlot tour was just as good in it's prime. And DHS has plenty more supporting attractions (like Muppets, etc) to fill in behind those majors.

So again.. the tokyo parks aren't booming with additions, plussing, or more attractions then their american counterparts.. in many ways they are behind in this regard. It's all about the upkeep, entertainment, and merchandise that the TDR fanatics point to.

dxwwf3

Considering how much people complain about parks like DAK and DHS for their lack of actual rides... TDS is just as bad.

Med Harbor - no real rides
Amer Waterfront - ToT only (just added)
Port disc - aquatopia (attraction most people do once.. and skip in the future)
- stormrider
Myst Island - 20k and Journey
Delta - Indy
- raging spirits
Mermaid - 5 kiddie rides
Arabian - Sinbad

So before ToT and raging spirits.. you basically had 3 real attractions, 2 attractions people tend to hate (aquatopia and sinbad) and a bugsland equivalent.

The park opened with 3 (possibly 4) E-ticket type attractions with Journey, Indy and 20K (Stormrider appears it could be there, but I haven't seen enough video on it).

Both versions of the Sinbad attraction look amazing on video. Those AA's are fantastic. I've also heard good things about the Genie show in the Magic Lamp Theater as well as the Mermaid show. Even the carousel looks like it was themed beautifully.

BTW, I personally don't complain about the lack of rides at AK. However the upkeep of those attractions leaves a lot to be desired.

Kamikaze

so Apple announced their bid to buy HULU today.

No, there is just a rumor that Apple might buy Hulu. Nothing more.

Wow. Just wow.

Yes. It got me, too.

Priorities Kamikaze...priorities...:rolleyes:

What are my priorities supposed to be? To the almighty dollar (or yen) and those with the biggest pockets? Or to those who have done a pretty good job of running these parks for 40 and 56 years?

I'll throw my lot in with Disney. I'm a Disney fan, always have been, always will be. I'm not a fan of Company X. And if Company X owns the parks, then thats who they will be, to me. Not Disney. Now, I think a lot of people (average people) don't know that OLC runs and owns Tokyo Disneyland. That wouldn't be the case here. Everyone in the country would know the parks are being sold, it would be front page and headline news across the country.

As sad as the concept is, i'd seriously consider embracing the concept of the Disney parks being sold to a foreign different company. That is, IF (big if here for sure) the standards reached an amazing new height (like the OLC and TDL), great food, great cutting edge and well maintained attractions, decent ticket prices, etc. It has been said many times, there exists at least one company that can do Disney better than Disney, sad though that may be to many people.

Priorities indeed. If selling the parks to another company meant getting a far superior and better overall experience, i'd seriously consider celebrating. Sad if that's what it takes, but i know that it CAN work from what happened with Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea. It would depend on the company. It could potentially make things even worse in the wrong hands.:ROFLOL:

Doubt it will happen regardless though, so no one has to worry either way.

The problem, as you say, is that it could go either way. And once it happens, there is no going back.

Same here.

If OLC ever came in to run the parks, I'd be out in front of the Magic Kingdom their first day holding a giant "WELCOME!" sign.

Ok, but thats because you know what they can do. OLC isn't buying the parks. This would be someone else.

menamechris

No, there is just a rumor that Apple might buy Hulu. Nothing more.

However, a rumor that the Wall Street Journal has reported on. Which is more than I can say for the rumor that is currently getting people all in a frenzy on here (and nowhere else). Business insiders - THEY have the scoop - those people know exactly who to go to to get the story and the credible rumors (like Apple and Hulu). The logic behind an ALLEGED meeting of Iger with the whole Board of Directors is most reasonably explained that they wanted to meet and review terms, conditions, conflicts of interest, and even how the company as a whole can take advantage of the sale of Hulu to Apple. Ever heard the most logical explanation is usually the truth? Certain people on here are getting caught up in something no one else in the Disney fan community or business community have given a second thought to. It makes for great discussion and "what if's", but if anything was going to happen in perhaps the next decade - things would have to be worked out now. We would be getting a lot more leaks from all over. Anyways - just tryin to give some perspective. My two cents...

bstiles

I would love to see a picture of Iger and company on animal trek, I mean with the digital age we all live in SOMEONE had to have seen them there right?

Lee

Adventurer
I would love to see a picture of Iger and company on animal trek, I mean with the digital age we all live in SOMEONE had to have seen them there right?

Exactly. That's a photo you'll never see.
Few, if any besides Iger, of the board ever left the Boardwalk.

And I'll say again...the meeting had nothing to do with Hulu.

Atomicmickey

All this speculation is driving me nuts!

The idea that the Parks could be for sale disturbs me on a molecular level, even though, well, hey, I don't know--it could be for the better.

It's just . . . it's just . . . .

Monkey brain is beating the hell out of rational brain when I think about it.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom