D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

NoChesterHester

I don't have a strong opinion yet on the potential sale of Parks and Resorts. I feel it has such a low likelihood of happening that I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I would however like to get back to the title of this thread, D23 announcements...

Two years ago we definitely heard about Star Tours and then the Fantasyland Plans were leaked. Information has been more spotty this time. We have had a repected insider hint at "exciting" announcements (Tirian). This previously unknown ThemeParkOne has become a Twitter hero over some vague, but bold statements of major things coming. A respected insider (Lee) has stated that while there" may" be some big announcements, several may be hollow and never completed (ala Disney Decade). The site owner even started a very teasing thread about a Fantasmic redo.

So what is going on? Is the information more scarce because Disney knows what happened last convention (cat out of bag early) and they want to retain the surprise? Is it that there really isn't anything being announced that we don't already know about? Have the" insiders" actually been asked not to spill the beans and they are honoring the request? Or is it that they actually still don't know what they are going to show the world at the presentation in three weeks?

Lee

Adventurer
Ok...D23.
Look for: New MK parade, Fantasmic refurb and the DVC at the Grand Flo.
Right now anything else will surprise me.

NoChesterHester

Ok...D23.

Thanks Lee. Kind of what I expected.

While that isn't the grand surprises we had hoped for a good Famtasmic Refurb and worthy MK parade are definitely positive. Especially Fantasmic... it used to be a must do for me and my family. We didn't even bother last trip.

Magenta Panther

What are my priorities supposed to be? To the almighty dollar (or yen) and those with the biggest pockets? Or to those who have done a pretty good job of running these parks for 40 and 56 years?

I'll throw my lot in with Disney. I'm a Disney fan, always have been, always will be. I'm not a fan of Company X. And if Company X owns the parks, then thats who they will be, to me. Not Disney. Now, I think a lot of people (average people) don't know that OLC runs and owns Tokyo Disneyland. That wouldn't be the case here. Everyone in the country would know the parks are being sold, it would be front page and headline news across the country.

Precisely. And a LOT of people would be upset. It would be seen as greed, as incompetence, as a major sell-out. Iger would be probably have to go into hiding for a while :D. No joke, a sale would be seen as scandalous, esp. if such a sale would be to a foreign investor. Disneyland and WDW are seen as a major part of Americana. Selling it to a foreigner would be a PR disaster at the very least.

But at any rate...WHY would Iger want to sell the parks anyway? I don't get why a such a thing would even be feasible, or why such a rumor would be given any credibility...

Brian Noble

and the DVC at the Grand Flo.
I'm going to bet that this *won't* be announced, at least not if Vacation Development has anything to say about it. BLT was practically *done* before it was announced, to minimize the number of people thinking "Why buy Saratoga or Animal Kingdom today, when I can wait a while and buy Bay Lake?" They are practically in the same position with AKV, which still hasn't declared more than about 3/4 of all inventory. They are still barely halfway through THV, as well, though that's a smaller pile of points to sell.

RunnerEd

I don't have a strong opinion yet on the potential sale of Parks and Resorts. I feel it has such a low likelihood of happening that I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I would however like to get back to the title of this thread, D23 announcements...

Two years ago we definitely heard about Star Tours and then the Fantasyland Plans were leaked. Information has been more spotty this time. We have had a repected insider hint at "exciting" announcements (Tirian). This previously unknown ThemeParkOne has become a Twitter hero over some vague, but bold statements of major things coming. A respected insider (Lee) has stated that while there" may" be some big announcements, several may be hollow and never completed (ala Disney Decade). The site owner even started a very teasing thread about a Fantasmic redo.

So what is going on? Is the information more scarce because Disney knows what happened last convention (cat out of bag early) and they want to retain the surprise? Is it that there really isn't anything being announced that we don't already know about? Have the" insiders" actually been asked not to spill the beans and they are honoring the request? Or is it that they actually still don't know what they are going to show the world at the presentation in three weeks?

I have never claimed to be an insider so the below is just my opinion. The last D23 expo, I believe they needed to leak stuff in order to generate a buzz since it was, after all, the 1st expo. This time around, the buzz is already there, mostly because of the 1st expo. Also, because of the 1st one, they almost have to have a "big" announcement or there may be a riot :) . I certainly respect and am envious of our insiders (I really wish I were one) but there may be some things that they haven't heard about. I hope that's the case as I'm sure they do. It will be exciting to watch for sure; big announcement or not!

Atomicmickey

Precisely. And a LOT of people would be upset. It would be seen as greed, as incompetence, as a major sell-out. Iger would be probably have to go into hiding for a while :D. No joke, a sale would be seen as scandalous, esp. if such a sale would be to a foreign investor. Disneyland and WDW are seen as a major part of Americana. Selling it to a foreigner would be a PR disaster at the very least.

But at any rate...WHY would Iger want to sell the parks anyway? I don't get why a such a thing would even be feasible, or why such a rumor would be given any credibility...

Um, Budweiser?

It's not without precedent. And, I guess a few people still drink it. (not me, but I didn't drink it when it was American beer, either.)

Lee

Adventurer
They are interested in selling (and they are interested, its not speculation) purely because of money.
It would give them a massive infusion of cash as well as large annual licensing fees from the buyer. Also income from WDI doing work for that company.

Not to mention it would get them out of the problematic theme park/hotel business.

Cosmic Commando

Um, Budweiser?

It's not without precedent. And, I guess a few people still drink it. (not me, but I didn't drink it when it was American beer, either.)
I think many people who would be upset about Budweiser being sold were upset at Budweiser for pushing out their local breweries years ago.

Brian Noble

WHY would Iger want to sell the parks anyway?
I said this elsewhere, probably another thread, but there are several reasons.

First, the margins in the P&R segment are actually pretty weak. Here's the segment-by-segment profit/revenue ratios from the most recent fiscal year:

Media Networks: 29.9% (and about 2/3ds of total company earnings)
Parks & Resorts: 12.2% (but about 17% of total company earnings)
Studio: 10%
Consumer products: 25.3%
Interactive Media: -30.7% (this segment posted a loss)

On top of being a relatively under-performing segment, P&R is also extremely capital intensive, with very long return-on-investment horizons. DVC is probably the sole exception to this in the entire segment, because the revenue there is front-loaded. However, while you are waiting for your investment to pay off in cruise fare, room RevPAR, or theme park admissions, you run the risk of another oil shock. I think there was a Kevin Yee article on this a few years ago, but there is a number for oil that depresses leisure travel enough that WDW starts losing money as currently configured.

Finally, the notion that they wouldn't own the parks isn't all that strange. They are (barely) majority owners of Paris, at 51%. They are minority owners (47%) in Hong Kong. They don't own any of Tokyo. (Edited to add: looks like they are minority owners (43%) of Shanghai.)

Now, the problem is, as always, what's the price at which it could sell. Anyone who looks at the segment sees the same iffy marginal earnings, the same capital needs, and the same long-run risk factors. So, a prospective purchaser may not be willing to offer enough to justify the sale on Disney's end. There are people and institutions with the kid of money it would take to buy the segment, but it only makes sense to do so if investing it there produces better returns than investing it anywhere else---and in the current climate (particularly with respect to the energy market) that seems like it would be a hard case to make.

Lee

Adventurer
Hence why neither of the two parties who have kicked the tires decided to pass.

Also, as you said earlier, the Flo DVC may well not be announced. I just included it 'cause we know it's gonna happen.

Any other announcements....and my sources will have some 'splaining to do.

cbconglom

Ok...D23.

well i am still holding out for something else though i understand i'm pry setting myself up for dissapointment. thanks though

MerlinTheGoat

Ok...D23.

That sounds about right considering what we already know, right on cue with what has been leaked online. I'll be surprised if anything else is announced as well. Only other things i expect is some more in depth looks at already known upcoming projects (Fantasyland expansion with the Dwarf Coaster, Carsland, Shanghai, etc).

Are we talking just a general touch up of props, effects and such at Fantasmic, or an overhaul and major change to the show itself (like different scenes, story elements, etc)?

cbconglom

That sounds about right considering what we already know, right on cue with what has been leaked online. I'll be surprised if anything else is announced as well. Only other things i expect is some more in depth looks at already known upcoming projects (Fantasyland expansion with the Dwarf Coaster, Carsland, Shanghai, etc).

Are we talking just a general touch up of props, effects and such at Fantasmic, or an overhaul and major change to the show itself (like different scenes, story elements, etc)?

well TPO's hint yesterday was dragon, so i'm guessing a hoping a new dragon like DL has.. but i also was thinking DHS was getting something else

Horizonsfan

Also, as you said earlier, the Flo DVC may well not be announced. I just included it 'cause we know it's gonna happen.

Is DTD expansion/redo just too blue to be given press yet? That rumor went from red-hot to cold in no time.

cbconglom

you hear anything about blue sky stuff for a brave attraction?

Lee

Adventurer
well TPO's hint yesterday was dragon, so i'm guessing a hoping a new dragon like DL has.. but i also was thinking DHS was getting something else
A new dragon would seem to be a no brainer...but...well...you never know.

There is potential for the MI ride to show up for DHS. That would be the least surprising thing they could add.

Is DTD expansion/redo just too blue to be given press yet? That rumor went from red-hot to cold in no time.
Not sure it's gone much beyond the concept phase. The art I've seen would seem to indicate an early stage of planning.

cbconglom

i've always wanted an inside connection.. a few months ago i fixed a computer for a nice lady whose's brother helped design the inferno barge. who thinks it would of been rude of me to ask for his email (i didn't) and who thinks i'm an idiot for not getting it?

aladdin2007

Glad to hear some of the entertainment is getting attention, MK parade especially. Now if only that awful excuse of a parade at DHS could be fixed....hey any chance of a 40th anniversary tag to the MK fireworks?? Or should I just keep dreaming lol.

flynnibus

Premium Member
i've always wanted an inside connection.. a few months ago i fixed a computer for a nice lady whose's brother helped design the inferno barge. who thinks it would of been rude of me to ask for his email (i didn't) and who thinks i'm an idiot for not getting it?

If you want to participate in wire fraud and computer tampering.. sure you should have asked for their account info... :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom