D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

PhotoDave219

Why Would you even say that? Insiders, Disney press releases it does not matter nothing it a 100 definite with this Expo. Things change, and I do believe we will get something from this Expo Parks wise. If you believe there won't be that is fine. To each there own.

I say it because you're wrong.

I say it because the company publicly came out and said its not happening.

If you want to continue to do lines of pixie dust, but when nothing happens, don't come crying about it.

PhotoDave219

It states this in the article as well...

"Although a few carefully edited images will be placed around the pavilion for sharp eyed fans to find; like sketches of the Star Wars land project coming to both Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland’s Tomorrowland"

It may not be greenlit, but it sounds like it's expected to be.

Yes. It will happen eventually. But with the glacial speed this company moves at, you may be 40 before it opens

Sped2424

Yeah but Disney can't be sure that would actually happen. They thought John Carter and Lone Ranger would succeed or else they wouldn't have gambled all that money. Nothing is 100% certain. At this rate their thinking is probably "better be safe than sorry".
Except this is star wars, they have oggled over this franchise since the 80's and its popularity hasn't died down in the least since then. This movie will not flop, now it mat not make the money they want it too, but this movie in no way shape or form is going to flop. Especially because it takes place after the latest installment leaving all the hardcore fans to want to know what happened to the characters they grew up with. This film is going to make them a profit no matter what. We can argue about how big a profit but nonetheless Disney knows the power this franchise has, its why they paid 4 billion for em in the first place.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would not expect Disney to announce anything Star Wars related until summer 2015 at the earliest, after the new movie is released. If it flops (like a lot of Disney's major releases recently), I doubt that they would make a land around it.

It takes so long to develop and build a theme park attraction there really isn't much point at waiting for a film to be released to gauge popularity. Even if you wait and see how it does, you still won't know how the public will feel about it 3 to 5 years down the road when the attraction opens. I can't think of any time Disney coordinated the announcement/opening of a major attraction with the opening of a movie.

Livingwithstartours

Original Poster
I say it because you're wrong.

I say it because the company publicly came out and said its not happening.

If you want to continue to do lines of pixie dust, but when nothing happens, don't come crying about it.
It's not about doing "lines of pixie dust". I don't know what thats suppose to mean. I truly believe we will see something of park significance from this expo. Weather its Star Wars or not Who Knows? It could be anything. Im not thinking HUGE, but if something big were happened to be previewed then awesome. Time will tell.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm attending all three days. Not likely to post much though, I think the twitter-verse would handily scoop my feeble attempts! LOL

If anyone spots a tall old guy with a lot of grey in the beard and hair sporting a Guest name tag that says "Monty", feel free to say hi. I'll be accompanied by my son (also sporting a name tag, but his says "Morgan").

WDW95

It takes so long to develop and build a theme park attraction there really isn't much point at waiting for a film to be released to gauge popularity. Even if you wait and see how it does, you still won't know how the public will feel about it 3 to 5 years down the road when the attraction opens. I can't think of any time Disney coordinated the announcement/opening of a major attraction with the opening of a movie.

I just don't see why Disney would risk it if the film does not perform as well as expected. It is not as if they need it tomorrow, they really have all the time in the world. You would think they would be more cautious based on their recent movie projects. The whole thing could be designed and contracts prepared but the decision to actually move dirt probably won't happen until 2015, 2 years away. The earliest it would open then is in 2018-2020. If interest in the movie is not as high as expected then Disney would look into other options.

Like you said, how would they know how the public would react to the project in 5 years? They probably would rather ensure that thereis still interest in Star Wars rather than come to find it isn't as popular as they thought.

In reality though there has been no indication by Disney that Star Wars is even coming (just fans looking for reasons for it to happen). Al Lutz has been losing his credibility lately. Maybe he hears these proposals being thrown around WDI but in reality none of them have really been backed by corporate, other than Avatar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just don't see why Disney would risk it if the film does not perform as well as expected. It is not as if they need it tomorrow, they really have all the time in the world. You would think they would be more cautious based on their recent movie projects. The whole thing could be designed and contracts prepared but the decision to actually move dirt probably won't happen until 2015, 2 years away. The earliest it would open then is in 2018-2020. If interest in the movie is not as high as expected then Disney would look into other options.

Like you said, how would they know how the public would react to the project in 5 years? They probably would rather ensure that thereis still interest in Star Wars rather than come to find it isn't as popular as they thought.

In reality though there has been no indication by Disney that Star Wars is even coming (just fans looking for reasons for it to happen). Al Lutz has been losing his credibility lately. Maybe he hears these proposals being thrown around WDI but in reality none of them have really been backed by corporate, other than Avatar.

They were willing to start building Avatar well before the next movie came out and Star Wars is a 1000 times safer bet then Avatar.

PhotoDave219

It's not about doing "lines of pixie dust". I don't know what thats suppose to mean. I truly believe we will see something of park significance from this expo. Weather its Star Wars or not Who Knows? It could be anything. Im not thinking HUGE, but if something big were happened to be previewed then awesome. Time will tell.

You're wrong.

Suck it up & deal with it.

Clamman73

You never know. Disney thought The Lone Ranger would make much more than it did. And Avatar has not started construction yet.

There's a good tweet from Bill Maher the other day...

"I kinda like it that Weiner is still running - its like going to the movie app and seeing that one theater sticking with "The Lone Ranger"

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You never know. Disney thought The Lone Ranger would make much more than it did. And Avatar has not started construction yet.

Of course Disney thought Lone Ranger would be a success, production companies will always believe their movies will be a success, publically at least. The Lone Ranger character is a part of popular culture, but it's has really had much relevance recently so it's not surprising that the movie didn't do well. Star Wars is a proven property, and although I know you question it's relevance, it has much more relevance then you probably think it does. I see no scenario where Ep7 earns less the $1b worldwide.

Your original post was making the point that Disney wouldn't announce a Star Wars expansion until they saw the success of the next movie. Even though Avatar hasn't started construction yet, and may not start for a while, Disney has said from the beginning that they wanted to start construction in 2013, so based on this it's obvious that they are not worried about waiting to verify the future success of a franchise before building attractions. As another example look at Carsland. Cars was only a moderate success at the box office and with the critics, especially compared to Pixar's other movies. Despite this Carsland started construction years before Cars 2 came out. They saw no reason to wait then, I see even less of a reason for them to wait to see how Star Wars 7 does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom