D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

Yensid1974

I just don't see why Disney would risk it if the film does not perform as well as expected. It is not as if they need it tomorrow, they really have all the time in the world. You would think they would be more cautious based on their recent movie projects. The whole thing could be designed and contracts prepared but the decision to actually move dirt probably won't happen until 2015, 2 years away. The earliest it would open then is in 2018-2020. If interest in the movie is not as high as expected then Disney would look into other options.

Like you said, how would they know how the public would react to the project in 5 years? They probably would rather ensure that thereis still interest in Star Wars rather than come to find it isn't as popular as they thought.

In reality though there has been no indication by Disney that Star Wars is even coming (just fans looking for reasons for it to happen). Al Lutz has been losing his credibility lately. Maybe he hears these proposals being thrown around WDI but in reality none of them have really been backed by corporate, other than Avatar.

You must remember that they could have built Star Wars Land before they decided to make any more movies and (if done right of course) it would have been one of the most popular areas in any Disney theme park anywhere. You can't underestimate the legions of SW fans that are out there and have been out there for literally decades now. SW is not something that is going away, and the fact that there is new movies coming is all the more reason to get that SWL up and running as quickly as possible to start seeing that money come rolling in.

Livingwithstartours

Original Poster
Dude, what's your problem? If he/she wants to believe something will get announced, let him/her. It's not like you receive an award for putting him/her down for hoping something that we all want.

Regardless of how many insults you throw around, we're going to fid out in a couple days. Let it be.
Thank you manutdfan1. and I am a him lol I really don't understand why someone has to act that way.

GFD613

Loved original Star Wars (guess that's ep 4 now), anticipated and dutifully saw eps 4 and 5.

Got a little excited for ep 1, thought it was too long and dragged. Missed eps 2 and 3, may have seen them on cable, but I think I was doing something else ie multitasking, so I don't remember them too well, other than that they dragged.

Not sure I'm really interested in paying to see any more Star Wars pix.

I admit I'm more of a Star Trek fan, anyway, although I'm ed JJ rewrote that canon. By the way, would love a Lost ride based on going thru the donkey wheel and landing in the middle of the Tunisian desert. When I realized disney had bought ABC, I was really hoping for a Lost attraction of some kind. Hey, wouldn't a ride based on Sliders be cool? Sliding down the wormhole to another world? Anyhoo....

Not that I would let any of the above affect whether I went on an attraction.

Not able to make it to D 23. Note that membership was free this year, I guess to pump up attendance, which supports the position that there isn't really a reason to attend since there won't be any big announcements.

Californian Elitist

Note that membership was free this year, I guess to pump up attendance, which supports the position that there isn't really a reason to attend since there won't be any big announcements.

There are still memberships where you have to pay. Free membership has nothing to do with attendance, given the fact that the Expo is open to the public and not limited to D23 members. If anyone went to the last Expo, they'd no everyone and their mother was there.

GFD613

There are still memberships where you have to pay. Free membership has nothing to do with attendance, given the fact that the Expo is open to the public and not limited to D23 members. If anyone went to the last Expo, they'd no everyone and their mother was there.
Oh.

Just curious, why did they introduce a new free level of membership?

PhotoDave219

Dude, what's your problem? If he/she wants to believe something will get announced, let him/her. It's not like you receive an award for putting him/her down for hoping something that we all want.

Regardless of how many insults you throw around, we're going to fid out in a couple days. Let it be.

My problem is people who refuse to deal in reality and stir up hype and hysteria needlessly because of that.

billDozer

Of course Disney thought Lone Ranger would be a success, production companies will always believe their movies will be a success, publically at least. The Lone Ranger character is a part of popular culture, but it's has really had much relevance recently so it's not surprising that the movie didn't do well. Star Wars is a proven property, and although I know you question it's relevance, it has much more relevance then you probably think it does. I see no scenario where Ep7 earns less the $1b worldwide.

Your original post was making the point that Disney wouldn't announce a Star Wars expansion until they saw the success of the next movie. Even though Avatar hasn't started construction yet, and may not start for a while, Disney has said from the beginning that they wanted to start construction in 2013, so based on this it's obvious that they are not worried about waiting to verify the future success of a franchise before building attractions. As another example look at Carsland. Cars was only a moderate success at the box office and with the critics, especially compared to Pixar's other movies. Despite this Carsland started construction years before Cars 2 came out. They saw no reason to wait then, I see even less of a reason for them to wait to see how Star Wars 7 does.
Disney knew that lone ranger would fail they only made it to get johnny depp to sign on for more pirates movies he's been wanting to be tonto forever because he believes he is part native american and is an honorary member of some tribe. they threw a lot of money into Ranger because even if they lost every dime they spent they would make enough off 3 new pirates movies to make it back. they did the same thing for andrew stanton with john carter so that he would stay and make nemo 2

FigmentJedi

A Micechat blogger at the preview just tweeted this from the Imagineering pavilion. Hatty's back, tell your friends

tumblr_mr8uxtApZn1surweuo1_1280.jpg

HMF

Here is an Interview with John Lasseter talking about the animation films they will be previewing tomorrow including - Frozen, Finding Dory, The Good Dinosaur and Big Hero 6. Some mention of a Planes sequel and another Tinker Bell installment.

He also talks about the 3 different animation studios and how they are each different.
Man, Lasseter seems really uncomfortable trying to deflect the 2D Animation questions.

Captain Neo

A Micechat blogger at the preview just tweeted this from the Imagineering pavilion. Hatty's back, tell your friends

tumblr_mr8uxtApZn1surweuo1_1280.jpg

HMF is gonna get hyped. However isn't the theme this year about concepts that never made it into the parks or stuff they work on behind the scenes? Someone needs to straight up ask if hatbox ghost is coming back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom