D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Gotta have some news and info for that to happen. Since Disney isn't making any announcements, we're going to have to entertain ourselves.

Any bets on how long before a refillable mug argument breaks out? I've got page 7.
I'll argue with you now, if you want.
Are you "for it" or "agin it"?

PhotoDave219

I thought it would be a good idea to get a thread going since D23 is coming up this weekend where news or announcements can be found in. For the theme parks, and being practical I hope there is a Star Wars Land announcement, and maybe one other surprise. I know I am being hopeful but never say never.

For the last ever-guest-loving-time..... There is NOT a parks and resorts presentation at this year's D23 expo.

There will not be any announcements about attractions at Walt Disney World.

PhotoDave219

No. I think the MiceChat article the other day was spot on...

"the Imagineering group from Glendale will be muzzled from saying much of anything about the very real projects they’ve got coming (emphasis added) to the American parks in the next few years"

They areplanning things, but won't announce until they're about ready to start construction. I'm sure Steve, Spirit, Lee and some others have an idea when, but I'll actually be shocked if it's at D23.

http://micechat.com/37890-miceage-tomorrowland-starwars/

For DisneyLAND. California is only referenced.

The only thing they mention for WDW is the Oft-Rumored-since-2005 Soarin Over the World and the It's-bound-to-happen-eventually-but-not-greenlit-anytime-soon Star Wars makeover for DHS.

I personally believe that both projects will happen but I don't forsee a Star Wars land opening before 2018 at the earliest and I dont forsee Soarin until Epcot35.

TP2000

D23 has never been the place for major announcements

Things are in the works lots if things but nothing really big will be announced

D23 is where they announced the plans for New Fantasyland at WDW. They also announced Star Tours: The Adventures Continue at a D23 Expo.

The Miceage article from Al Lutz that has been linked here earlier sums it all up beautifully why there won't be much announced at 2013 D23 Expo. I encourage everyone to read that article to get up to speed.

As for D23 Expo and your criticism that it's too focused on Disneyland, that's for a couple of reasons. D23 Expo is held literally right across the street from Disneyland. The Anaheim Convention Center is in the actual shadow of the Cadillac Range mountains that form the backdrop of Cars Land. Disney is a California based company hosting a giant fan convention at their flagship theme park that is in California.
mickey-mouse-d23.jpg

Add to that the fact that most of the theme park expansion of the last 5 years has been in the California parks, with the Florida parks adding only a cloned Omnimover that debuted 18 months earlier in California (Mermaid) and a nicely themed rework of existing theme park property (20K ride and Toontown becoming Fantasyland Expansion and Storybook Circus). There's just been a lot more new rides and stuff to talk about at Disneyland in the last four years since D23 has existed than stuff at WDW to talk about, so it just seems like Disneyland gets all the glory there. If D23 can hang on for another five years there will be plenty to talk about for WDW's parks. It will just take patience.

The good news is that there will be a specific WDW mention in the big Imagineering pavilion on the D23 Expo exhibit floor. They have already announced that Disney Springs will be featured in the Imagineering pavilion. So there's artwork of a remodeled shopping mall to look forward to, at least.

Last edited:

SirLink

They have said there will be some "teasers" of Avatar in the WDI pavilion. I am taking this to mean it will be some vague concept are that doesn't even reveal what type of rides we will see.

Yeah that means they are just going to have those interactive flowers they were testing backstage at DAK to test ...in a similar way to other interactive stuff.

Last edited:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
They have said there will be some "teasers" of Avatar in the WDI pavilion. I am taking this to mean it will be some vague concept are that doesn't even reveal what type of rides we will see.

Kind of glad I opted not to make the trip out to Anaheim for the D23 Expo.

PeterAlt

I was thinking that between the mess known as Lone Ranger, that other mess known as DLP, and the mess known as NextGen... Add to that the new favorite sibling to be jealous of... Shanghai... And the First Born that will never get neglected (again)... DLR... What a mess and not looking good if your not DLR, SDL, or TDL, or HKDL. Just saying.....

71jason

3 pages of discussion re: news from an event THAT HASN'T HAPPENED YET.

And any potential announcement (not saying there will be one) will no doubt instantly get its own thread anyway.

I really feel for the moderators on this board some times.

ToTBellHop

And any potential announcement (not saying there will be one) will no doubt instantly get its own thread anyway.

Must be something like trying to "moderate" Black Friday at Wal*Mart.

PhotoDave219

Well the OP seems to be living in his own private idaho here, insisting that something will happen when its publicly been said that nothing is to be announced....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom