D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

SJN1279

Awww, someone's hurt that someone made a better ride than the mouse has in almost 20 years.
Not a bit, I was a huge fan of the Potter books. I just didn't care for the ride. I love Universal, but Forbidden Journey is typically an attraction I skip. The Simpsons, Popeye, Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Mummy, MIB, Dudley Do-Right are my Universal favs.

MerlinTheGoat

Overuse of video screens is an issue with both modern Universal AND Disney (just look at Toy Story Mania). It's something I dislike about the newer attractions in both companies' parks. Martin confirmed recently (in one of the spirited threads I believe) that Universal was going to be stepping up and building more rides aimed towards elaborate sets and animatronics within the next few years as their apparently projects pile into the parks (I hear tell that Gringotts is going to have more physical sets and robotic elements than Forbidden Journey), so that leaves us with questioning what Disney will do to counter that.

If rumors of a Star Wars coaster with a video screen bolted to the cars as a supplement for actual sets and characters is their answer for competing with Universal's plans, you can count me out. I don't really have any clue what they're planning with Avatar, but i'm willing to guess that video screens will also be a huge part of that experience as well.

Along with Universal supposedly investing in building new rides with physical sets and animatronics, Martin also said they were going to be building rides the entire family could enjoy (slower paced ones without thrills), which makes my demographic very pleased to hear.

radiohost

Mission Space?????

Never mind, Mission Space just killed people...
Oh c'mon...Now that's a bit much isn't it??

In 2006 during my college program internship I worked alongside a cast member at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad who the year before was the first cast member on scene when that poor child suffered a heart attack from a long term undiagnosed heart problem and passed away, coincidentally while he was riding a ride.

Wasn't the rides fault, I think you know that....

Now, back to the topic of D23 Expo...

HDS

True but I can confirm its happening better then D23. Unless they already said it was and I missed it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
True but I can confirm its happening better then D23. Unless they already said it was and I missed it.

Even though there were no details, the big Imagineering display about Star Wars would seem to indicate that something is going to happen, not to mention the fact that Iger has said they intend to bring Star Wars to the parks. Now if you have more details, I would love to hear them.

Captain Chaos

Oh c'mon...Now that's a bit much isn't it??

In 2006 during my college program internship I worked alongside a cast member at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad who the year before was the first cast member on scene when that poor child suffered a heart attack from a long term undiagnosed heart problem and passed away, coincidentally while he was riding a ride.

Wasn't the rides fault, I think you know that....

Now, back to the topic of D23 Expo...
Too much? Nope... How many people with pre-existing conditions have died from riding FJ? None... Now compare that to how many people have died from riding Mission Space... It isn't too much... it is a sad but true fact...

doctornick

Even though there were no details, the big Imagineering display about Star Wars would seem to indicate that something is going to happen, not to mention the fact that Iger has said they intend to bring Star Wars to the parks. Now if you have more details, I would love to hear them.

D23 basically confirmed the poorly kept secret that Star Wars is coming to the parks. It didn't offer any insight as to which parks and what degree it will be added.

So, @HDS could you at least confirm that Star Wars is coming to DHS?

doctornick

i actually thought it was pretty creative how they "teased" star wars....obviously not a ton of info but them letting us know its happening

I'm critical of the Avatar display because it is a little silly and adds absolutely nothing to the public info about the project. If they weren't going to have information about what is actually being designed for the park -- even something minor like concept art -- then what's the point?

OTOH, the teaser for Star Wars is fine. Nothing has been announced and it was a cute little way of hinting at a future announcement and development. It even was done in an effective manner implying that stuff was being "shipped" to the parks to build a Star Wars area.

twebber55

I'm critical of the Avatar display because it is a little silly and adds absolutely nothing to the public info about the project. If they weren't going to have information about what is actually being designed for the park -- even something minor like concept art -- then what's the point?

OTOH, the teaser for Star Wars is fine. Nothing has been announced and it was a cute little way of hinting at a future announcement and development. It even was done in an effective manner implying that stuff was being "shipped" to the parks to build a Star Wars area.
i can agree with this..which is not a shocker as i often agree with you on these boards

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The point of the display was to give the Imagineers something to do, because they sure aren't spending their time developing rides. ;)

doctornick

i can agree with this..which is not a shocker as i often agree with you on these boards

I appreciate it. The thing with the Avatar display is that it would have been cool if it were the intro to a larger presence: Here's the Imagineers hard at work researching Avatar/Pandora and let us show you what they have come up with (then some concept art or ride ideas, etc.). Then it would have been a cute display because the Imagineers that are portrayed as being hard at work are actually producing something you can appreciate and look forward to.

I am a supporter of the Avatar concept and look forward to it. I'm not even critical of the development time because I realize it was (unwisely) announced prematurely. But at this point, I think they should have something to show that actually indicates progress or else they should probably just not even talk about it.

WDW1974

What about the crates? That was pretty...epic...right?

To be fair, everything from doors (coaster) to imagination (pavilion's future) to Star Wars projects and Pandora were right out there under everyone's noses. There just was no substance and no artwork and no announcements ...and that doesn't even include stuff like SDL, the new Rat ride in Paris and Marvel projects.

But toying with your most loyal fans and addicts of the BRAND is just plain dumb.

Captain Neo

Seriously?

Scene 1: Floo Network (screen)
Scene 2: Observatory (real)
Scene 3: Hagrid's Dragon (screen)
Scene 4: Bridge/Dragon attack (real)
Scene 5: Forbidden forest (real)
Scene 6: Whomping Willow (real)
Scene 7: Quidditch Pitch (screen)
Scene 8: The Chamber of Secrets (real)
Scene 9: Chamber Escape (screen)
Scene 10: Great Hall (real/screen)
Scene 11: Floo Network (screen)

Looks to me it's about even. And the brand new updated high def screens make it fantastic.

The Dragon Attack and whomping willow is literally a slow AA figure with lights on it in a pitch black room. There isn't really alot of theming around it. The Great Hall is not half real lmao its just themed borders around the screen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom