D23 2024 Disneyland Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

TP2000

Okay, so at D23 Expo during the 3 hour long variety show, they announced the following for the Disneyland Resort...
  • Disneyland will have a 70th Birthday marketing campaign, but no news on a parade or fireworks show for it
  • Walt Disney animatronic show in the Disneyland Opera House opening during the 70th
  • Avatar Land will go in DCA at an unknown future date, and will feature an E Ticket boat ride
  • Coco will get a D Ticket boat ride in DCA at an unknown future date
  • Avengers Campus will get an E Ticket thrill ride called Infinity Defense at an unknown future date
  • Avengers Campus will get a C Ticket thrill ride called Stark Flight Lab at an unknown future date
  • Millennium Falcon: Target Run will get a new storyline featuring the Mandalorian at an unknown future date
With the exception of the Disneyland 70th anniversary and the Walt show "opening next year", none of the announcements had firm start dates for construction, and so none had opening dates (at least 3 years after construction starts). It's easy to surmise that most of this stuff, especially Avatar Land, won't be opening in Anaheim until the tail end of the 2020's. If not 2030, or later.

None of the DisneylandForward expansion plots was mentioned, or will be needed for any of this work.

Tomorrowland was ignored entirely.

They made fun of Fantasmic! and its sorry state, but made no announcement about it.

Josh looked far too casual in his Dad Jeans, while the Talent and the Help all wore tuxedos, suit coats, and/or sparkly outfits.

TP2000

I got that. But those are 12 month windows of time. Likely aimed at October or November of each year, to align with the new Fiscal Year and to stagger the budgets out as long as possible.

I would have to assume that the Avenger's Campus additions with "construction starts next year" would mean the 4th Fiscal Quarter (July-August-September '25) at best, or more likely the 1st Fiscal Quarter of '26 (October of '25).

I would also assume the same thing for Coco's "breaking ground in 2026" line; construction will start in the Fall of 2026.

At the earliest, using a 3+ year construction timeline, that would put Infinity Defense and Flight Labs opening for Christmas 2028, or Spring 2029.

The Coco boat ride would be Spring 2030 most likely.

But throwing out 12 month windows of time when "construction" or "ground breaking" begins offers up only the most vague of actual opening dates 3+ years later. In their defense, they may not even know at this early date when they are going to be able to start construction. They've got to finalize designs before they can start templating construction calendars.

MoonRakerSCM

I will say, from a construction point of view, they will 'AIM' for spring/early summer to start so as to get a good chunk going before next winter. Even though we don't have a 'rainy season' here in SoCal, it still is a huge factor with outdoor projects with delays etc.

mlayton144

I’m just happy ALL of the Marvel stuff is going to DLR and further across the ocean in Asia , none at WDW . Can do without the super hero stuff . Avatar and Coco should be excellent at DLR

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’m just happy ALL of the Marvel stuff is going to DLR and further across the ocean in Asia , none at WDW . Can do without the super hero stuff . Avatar and Coco should be excellent at DLR

I’ll always be jealous that you guys got to keep TOT AND got Cosmic Rewind. We lost TOT and Bugs Land/ ITTBAB for this crap.

DrAlice

I legitimately LOLed at "Infinity Defense". My first reaction to that name is that it sounds like some service I would order from Terminix or Orkin. 🤣 Having said that, I will give them credit for it being a short name without a colon.

Ugh... I'm so cynical. I'd really like to get excited about some of these additions, but with timelines like "construction starts in 2026", I just can't. We saw what happened to the EPCOT overhaul that was announced: half of it was cut by the time construction started. This was after they built a fancy preview center with videos and a construction model!

Shall I remind you all of what was promised for Star Wars? Go back and look at all that concept art. Then go look at the land. I'd love to be excited for Avatar, but the concept art they showed is awfully vague. We'll see what they actually build. I really want to be wrong. I really do, but they've lost all credibility with me.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I legitimately LOLed at "Infinity Defense". My first reaction to that name is that it sounds like some service I would order from Terminix or Orkin. 🤣 Having said that, I will give them credit for it being a short name without a colon.

Ugh... I'm so cynical. I'd really like to get excited about some of these additions, but with timelines like "construction starts in 2026", I just can't. We saw what happened to the EPCOT overhaul that was announced: half of it was cut by the time construction started. This was after they built a fancy preview center with videos and a construction model!

Shall I remind you all of what was promised for Star Wars? Go back and look at all that concept art. Then go look at the land. I'd love to be excited for Avatar, but the concept art they showed is awfully vague. We'll see what they actually build. I really want to be wrong. I really do, but they've lost all credibility with me.

Yeah terrible name lol.

I allow myself to get lost in the hype of the evening but yeah once the dust settles then it becomes about hoping these things happen and happen at the level the announcements and concept art suggest. Not to mention hope that they go in the right spot and not remove anything beloved or unnecessary.

DisneyAJ

I really was hoping for a coaster in DCA, and for half a second when I saw AC was getting 2 rides I thought we’d get one. But overall I’m happy DCA is getting what it is. All was very much needed.

Hoping Avatar goes into an expansion plot across the street so it can be as big as it needs to be and I’d rather have the backlot turned into something that could fit multiple rides/mini lands vs one giant ride and themed land.

I’m still annoyed with all the Tomorrowland references throughout the night just for there to be nothing. That was so unnecessary and messy.

MoonRakerSCM

My Dland friend laughed at the name of the ride- "What a nothing name."

I absolutely LOVED that Disney commented (I forget which guy) when they talked about King Thanos and some people whooped and cheered... and Disney commented "Oh yay, you're cheering for King Thanos"... a beautiful callback to my favorite D23 moment ever when they first announced King Thanos and the room audibly was confused and absolutely silent.

J4546

dca is getting a massive glow up and Im all for it.

a huge avatar based land with shanghai PotC like water ride and probably other attractions/food/shops.... win

Doubling the size of AC with 2 new rides.... win

Coco based water ride...... win

2 new smaller rides and 2 new e-tickets.... sounds like a big win imo esp with 2 of them being water rides. I love water based attractions

Figments Friend

Get these two involved……

My boy Tony and Garner Holt..!

-

IMG_4266.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I got that. But those are 12 month windows of time. Likely aimed at October or November of each year, to align with the new Fiscal Year and to stagger the budgets out as long as possible.

I would have to assume that the Avenger's Campus additions with "construction starts next year" would mean the 4th Fiscal Quarter (July-August-September '25) at best, or more likely the 1st Fiscal Quarter of '26 (October of '25).

I would also assume the same thing for Coco's "breaking ground in 2026" line; construction will start in the Fall of 2026.

At the earliest, using a 3+ year construction timeline, that would put Infinity Defense and Flight Labs opening for Christmas 2028, or Spring 2029.

The Coco boat ride would be Spring 2030 most likely.

But throwing out 12 month windows of time when "construction" or "ground breaking" begins offers up only the most vague of actual opening dates 3+ years later. In their defense, they may not even know at this early date when they are going to be able to start construction. They've got to finalize designs before they can start templating construction calendars.
Unless I missed something all the DCA projects were announced as shovel ready, so that would indicate they already have the construction timelines and the designs pretty much finalized.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom