Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

UncleMike101

You need (or in hindsight should have had) a Spirited China thread. Too much of this conversation gets lost in WDW-centric threads!

It actually looks like it's finally coming together in the 11th hour.

shanghai-disneyland-478.jpeg

shanghai-disneyland-479.jpeg
It looks nice.
I hope it's not like putting icing on a piece of excrement.
Looking good doesn't mean it is good.......

BrianLo

It looks nice.
I hope it's not like putting icing on a piece of excrement.
Looking good doesn't mean it is good.......

It's over budget (way way over budget), had to be rebuilt far too many times, late (very late), a partnership from hell and a battle of wills that Disney is very much paying for in more ways than just $$¥¥.

BUT - it's actually a well designed, true to its vision, very original, fairly well-rounded park. With a respectable opening day menu that easily occupies a spot in the top three opening day offerings of every Disney park historically.

I'm just appreciating that despite the entire process being such a massive disaster, a fairly strong park is coming out of it. But - I'd sure hope so based on the billions and billions they've sunk into it.

wogwog

This may not be new but I do not remember reading it.

According to the WDW guest calendar, on Easter the MK will run one day parade at 3:00 with an Easter special section pre-parade added prior at probably 2:30. Any other year I can remember the MK has scheduled a Noon and 3:00 parade on Easter and several days following. This year the double parades are only Monday through Thursday. Another cut or simply lower attendance expected?

WDW1974

You need (or in hindsight should have had) a Spirited China thread. Too much of this conversation gets lost in WDW-centric threads!

It actually looks like it's finally coming together in the 11th hour.

shanghai-disneyland-478.jpeg

shanghai-disneyland-479.jpeg

This isn't a thread started by me. It is MAGICal Steve's!

And the issues are: no one wanted to talk about this project here for the last 3-4 years except for me and about 5-10 others, now, every fanboi and his boyfriend wants to whine about all the O-Town and Anaheim cutbacks when guess what? They are all desperate moves from a desperate regime in Burbank. I don't think all that highly of Colglazier and Kalogridis, but at the end of the day they are just doing what Iger thru Chappie is demanding: anything and everything to screw Guests and Cast to somehow make Shanghai look less of a disaster than some of us know it to be.

Coming together? Based on a few photos that are not closeups and show very little detail? I know you have decided to go ... and, frankly, I'll be shocked if @WDWFigment and a few others aren't there. But I have enough intel to make the decision that the first six months of this park's operations are going to be a total cluster.

Mike S

This isn't a thread started by me. It is MAGICal Steve's!

And the issues are: no one wanted to talk about this project here for the last 3-4 years except for me and about 5-10 others, now, every fanboi and his boyfriend wants to whine about all the O-Town and Anaheim cutbacks when guess what? They are all desperate moves from a desperate regime in Burbank. I don't think all that highly of Colglazier and Kalogridis, but at the end of the day they are just doing what Iger thru Chappie is demanding: anything and everything to screw Guests and Cast to somehow make Shanghai look less of a disaster than some of us know it to be.

Coming together? Based on a few photos that are not closeups and show very little detail? I know you have decided to go ... and, frankly, I'll be shocked if @WDWFigment and a few others aren't there. But I have enough intel to make the decision that the first six months of this park's operations are going to be a total cluster.
image.jpeg

WDW1974

It's over budget (way way over budget), had to be rebuilt far too many times, late (very late), a partnership from hell and a battle of wills that Disney is very much paying for in more ways than just $$¥¥.

BUT - it's actually a well designed, true to its vision, very original, fairly well-rounded park. With a respectable opening day menu that easily occupies a spot in the top three opening day offerings of every Disney park historically.

I'm just appreciating that despite the entire process being such a massive disaster, a fairly strong park is coming out of it. But - I'd sure hope so based on the billions and billions they've sunk into it.

I strongly disagree with it being top three for opening. And the menu is very weak when you get past the four signature unique attractions. The design is odd and the entertainment is really going to have to step up until more attractions open. (BTW, don't be surprised if several attractions are dedicated during the Grand Opening, so Disney can claim they are done, and then have technical issues that keep them from operating for weeks -- or months.)

Both Tokyo parks, DLP, and EPCOT opened with far more ready on Day 1. I also think people are going overboard about some of the attractions there just because they have ... say a Tron fixation ... or because they think Voyage to the Crystal Grotto is more than just a different take on Storybook Land. The only attraction that truly could raise the bar would be Pirates. And that is if the execution equals the promise.

Mike S

I strongly disagree with it being top three for opening. And the menu is very weak when you get past the four signature unique attractions. The design is odd and the entertainment is really going to have to step up until more attractions open. (BTW, don't be surprised if several attractions are dedicated during the Grand Opening, so Disney can claim they are done, and then have technical issues that keep them from operating for weeks -- or months.)

Both Tokyo parks, DLP, and EPCOT opened with far more ready on Day 1. I also think people are going overboard about some of the attractions there just because they have ... say a Tron fixation ... or because they think Voyage to the Crystal Grotto is more than just a different take on Storybook Land. The only attraction that truly could raise the bar would be Pirates. And that is if the execution equals the promise.
Sounds like a huge case of tons of style but little substance. Buzz and Peter Pan look really plussed over there though. Seems like Disney forgot the art of a "complete" park at opening.

FigmentJedi

Considering how much the Tron fandom's been getting screwed over the last couple years between the quiet cancellation of the excellent Uprising show and the Tomorrowland movie's failure killing Tron 3, I get why they'd be overhyping the new coaster.

BrianLo

Well, most menus are pretty weak when you get past the headliners! It's actually pretty much on par with TDS though. Too much effort to again go through the attraction for attraction - but SDL comes out slightly ahead.

I expect a cluster, but I was ready for a cluster even if the thing was finished. Maybe I'll finally get you that picture of Iger in Shanghai. The look of sheer terror may be worth the price of admission!

I'm exploring far more of China afterwards, so if SDL is a let down its just a small footnote on the itinerary.

I'm not sure how we got here though... A year or so ago I was the one reticent to attend the opening and you were all for it!

DisneyGentleman

They are all desperate moves from a desperate regime in Burbank. I don't think all that highly of Colglazier and Kalogridis, but at the end of the day they are just doing what Iger thru Chappie is demanding: anything and everything to screw Guests and Cast to somehow make Shanghai look less of a disaster than some of us know it to be.
This is the scariest statement I've seen on these boards. Expending long-term good will to try to hide near-term losses is a disaster in the making. It sounds like Washington politics.

Just when the guest experience was beginning to turn around in Orlando, they cast the gains to the four winds. It's going to take a generation to recover from this. Why couldn't the Weatherman declare victory and get out of Dodge? When this comes home to roost (and it will), it will undo him and his legacy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom