Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Magenta Panther

This is the scariest statement I've seen on these boards. Expending long-term good will to try to hide near-term losses is a disaster in the making. It sounds like Washington politics.

Just when the guest experience was beginning to turn around in Orlando, they cast the gains to the four winds. It's going to take a generation to recover from this. Why couldn't the Weatherman declare victory and get out of Dodge? When this comes home to roost (and it will), it will undo him and his legacy.

Good! GOOD! GOOD A BILLION TIMES!
I hope ESPN collapses on top of him too!

JustLikeMe

I also think people are going overboard about some of the attractions there just because they have ... say a Tron fixation ... or because they think Voyage to the Crystal Grotto is more than just a different take on Storybook Land. The only attraction that truly could raise the bar would be Pirates. And that is if the execution equals the promise.

What about Roaring Rapids? The concept art looks quite impressive - is the reality likely to underwhelm?

As an aside, I've been reading your threads for many years now, but I'm not one to comment much. I'm far from a lifestyler but I am quite a fan of the Disney parks - well, some of them at least - and following a visit to Hong Kong in November of last year I've now been to all of them world wide. I was planning on visiting Shanghai next year, but I think I may delay that trip until 2018 now.

Not many people report information from the resorts located outside the States, so thanks for taking the time to keep those of us who are interested in the international parks informed, it's much appreciated.

Last edited:

jt04

Well, at least they learned to not overbuild hotel rooms.
Hotel capacity at WDW will be in short supply in a couple years. Good thing someone had the vision to get ahead of demand or there might be panic building going on. That never or only rarely equates to quality. IMO.

BrianLo

What about Roaring Rapids? The concept art looks quite impressive - is the reality likely to underwhelm?

As an aside, I've been reading your threads for many years now, but I'm not one to comment much. I'm far from a lifestyler but I am quite a fan of the Disney parks - well, some of them at least - and following a visit to Hong Kong in November of last year I've now been to all of them world wide. I was planning on visiting Shanghai next year, but I think I may delay that trip until 2018 now.

Not many people report information from the resorts located outside the States, so thanks for taking the time to keep those of us who are interested in the international parks informed, it's much appreciated.

You'd be very safe with 2017 (you want to go during spring or summer months to minimize the smog). Whatever the issues, they'll be sorted a year out, or won't get sorted at all. Heading into 2018 there is a good chance you'll be seeing a half built Everest.

jt04

Yes. As was the southern Spannish coast. Both unsuitable.

But that has nothing to do with overbuilding rooms.

I will always believe choosing infrastructure over content in the building timeline is the prudent way to go. Paris and Orlando are vastly different scenarios. And nobody can blame current management with the issues with Paris Disneyland. Content should be king in Paris due to the close proximity of other quality parks. IMO. WDW will absorb guests from the close proximity of Orlando's other theme parks and the growth at same. Unlike Paris. Paris needs content, content, content.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I will always believe choosing infrastructure over content in the building timeline is the prudent way to go. Paris and Orlando are vastly different scenarios. And nobody can blame current management with the issues with Paris Disneyland. Content should be king in Paris due to the close proximity of other quality parks. IMO. WDW will absorb guests from the close proximity of Orlando's other theme parks and the growth at same. Unlike Paris. Paris needs content, content, content.
Why did you stop posting for so long?

the.dreamfinder

Hotel capacity at WDW will be in short supply in a couple years. Good thing someone had the vision to get ahead of demand or there might be panic building going on. That never or only rarely equates to quality. IMO.
I'm talking about opening day hotel capacity. EuroDisney's biggest problem wasn't that they spent too much money on the park. Rather that Eisner, and the Strat Planners who signed off on it, overbuilt the number of hotel rooms for opening day. The park was very successful from day one, but not enough guests stayed in those nearly 6000 hotel rooms to bring the resort into the black because of the cost to construct and operate them.

# of Hotel Rooms on Opening Day
EuroDisney (1992)
5765 (7)
Hong Kong Disneyland (2006)
1000 (2)
Shanghai Disney Resort (2016)
1220 (2)

jt04

Really? It looks so good from the concept art.
This.
I'm talking about opening day hotel capacity. EuroDisney's biggest problem wasn't that they spent too much money on the park. Rather that Eisner, and the Strat Planners who signed off on it, overbuilt the number of hotel rooms for opening day. The park was very successful from day one, but not enough guests stayed in those nearly 6000 hotel rooms to bring the resort into the black because of the cost to construct and operate them.

# of Hotel Rooms on Opening Day
EuroDisney (1992)
5765 (7)
Hong Kong Disneyland (2006)
1000 (2)
Shanghai Disney Resort (2016)
1220 (2)

They should have consulted with me. Excuse me now. Back to my theme park builder SIM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom