Croc Hunter, Steve Irwin, dead at 44

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_en_tv/obit_irwin

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

here's another article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm

Steve Irwin dead

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin's body is being taken to the morgue in Cairns.

His family are believed to be flying from Brisbane to Cairns this afternoon.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.
Nature lover

In 2003, he spoke to the ABC's Australian Story about how he was perceived in his country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe? Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

He also spoke of his love for surfing.

"You get out there, it's just you against the waves.

"There's no paparazzi, there's no fan base, and it gives me a chance to recuperate and regenerate.

"I think I've actually got animals so genetically inside me that there's no way I could actually be anything else.

"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help."

Erika

I was just reading this. So sad, though I guess not all that surprising. He seemed the burn bright, burn quickly type. :(

Horizons1

Wow, just wow. I always figured something would get him one day but nothing like a sting ray.

Well cant say I ever watched his show but God rest his soul.

RIP Steve Irwin...

This makes me very sad. I mean, bless his heart, he was obviously a complete lunatic, but still. I personally could not get into his shows, I don't do nature but I certainly respect people who are into it. I reckon this is the way he would have wanted to go...on a mission to interact with creatures that we are clearly not meant to interact with. My thoughts and prayers to the wife and babies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
This was just on CNN. They will be doing an autosy tomorrow (tuesday) to find out the exact cause of death. They're speculating shock from the injury sustained from the stingray

col

i cant believe it!!
i think he was pretty cool and brave with the way he would get up close to the snakes and crocs. i liked the way he would tell facts about that animals and such.

R.I.P steve irwin -there wil never be anyone like him!

The Mom

Premium Member
That is so sad. The Son was a real Crocodile Hunter fan when he was younger; he even had a playset. This is the reason he's so interested in reptiles and amphibians, and read every book about them in the school library.

"Crickey, she's a beauty!"

RIP, Croc Hunter. :(

Uponastar

So sad! He was so full of enthusiasm for his job and life in general.
I guess we shouldn't be surprised, since he was a risk-taker, but it is still shocking news.

Tramp

So sad with so much life ahead of him...he is truly an icon in the world of wildlife documentaries. God bless his wife and children.

God bless and R.I.P. Croc Hunter.
:(

Pongo

Well that just stinks.

He was a great naturalist. I never really liked him as much as liked other TV naturalists like Jeff Corwin, but Steve was still a great herpatologist.

I wonder how the stingray managed to get his heart? That seems like a really awkward maneuver.

RIP Steve. You will be missed.

tigsmom

:cry:

I can't believe this. I'm sure they will find that the barb pierced an artery or something. Guess it doesn't really matter, he is gone and his children will growq up without their dad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom