Croc Hunter, Steve Irwin, dead at 44

pluto77

This is the first I'm finding out about this, I couldn't even believe the title. I'm just in shock. This is very depressing news.

JimboJones123

Very sad. But, hey, he went the way he wanted to. Really, Speared through the heart by a Singray. I'm not trying to be funny, but GEEZ. What a crazy way to go. He may have just gone from celeb to LEGEND. Very sad for his family, but just like a firefighter, he died doing what he loves.

pinkrose

I just saw an interview from someone who's seen the video. He said that Steve pulled the barb out and then died. :(

Gucci65

So sad. I had no idea this happened until I turned the tv this morning.

I feel bad for this family, esp. the children.

Wow - he will definately be missed in our household.

WDWFREAK53

:( i am sad the crocadile hunter is dead but i think what he did with is new born son was wrong:cry:

This is horrible news :(

I know people think what he did with his newborn son was wrong...but look at it this way... If you're a pilot...would you not take your son in a plane? If you're an artist...do you not take your son to a museum to show him your works of art? Steve Irwin was (sad to use the past-tense) a professional and an expert in dealing with crocodiles and the behaviors of crocodiles. If he didn't feel that it was perfectly safe, he would not have done it. Seeing him interact with his kids...you know the last thing he'd want to do is put them in any kind of "DAINJA!" (Granted, I wouldn't take my child into a burning building if I was a firefighter...but that's a completely different story...fires are extremely unpredictable...if you're an expert on crocodiles...they're not as unpredictable as the normal person may think.)

He didn't die because he did something wrong...it was an extreme accident and it was a 100-1 shot. Jack Hannah said that it would be like being killed by a poodle (meaning how tame and gently the stingray is) and you're more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a stingray. (I think there have only been 17 recorded deaths from a stingray)

Dangling a child over a balcony without properly holding him/her...dead wrong. An expert in his field bringing his "child to work."...not so "dead wrong" in my eyes.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

I know people think what he did with his newborn son was wrong...but look at it this way... If you're a pilot...would you not take your son in a plane? If you're an artist...do you not take your son to a museum to show him your works of art? Steve Irwin was (sad to use the past-tense) a professional and an expert in dealing with crocodiles and the behaviors of crocodiles. If he didn't feel that it was perfectly safe, he would not have done it. Seeing him interact with his kids...you know the last thing he'd want to do is put them in any kind of "DAINJA!" (Granted, I wouldn't take my child into a burning building if I was a firefighter...but that's a completely different story...fires are extremely unpredictable...if you're an expert on crocodiles...they're not as unpredictable as the normal person may think.)

He didn't die because he did something wrong...it was an extreme accident and it was a 100-1 shot. Jack Hannah said that it would be like being killed by a poodle (meaning how tame and gently the stingray is) and you're more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a stingray. (I think there have only been 17 recorded deaths from a stingray)

Dangling a child over a balcony without properly holding him/her...dead wrong. An expert in his field bringing his "child to work."...not so "dead wrong" in my eyes.
Brian...

I dive every weekend. Every saturday at 7am, I'm at the dock.

I've only seen a stingray 3-4 times (2 of which were at Divequest), and they shy away from you. They're like kittens. To get a stingray to defend itself, you must have done something EXTREMELY bad to it in order to feel threatened enough. He did nothing wrong, and the Stingray did nothing wrong. It was a fluke... a very tragic fluke.

Kwit35

I agree with you. However, it wasn't him holding the baby while feeding the croc that bothered me, it was when he put the baby down at ground level and pretended like the baby was 'walking' along the water, at mouth level with the croc. That kind of scared me. But all in all. He seemed like such a nice guy. He had so much life in him. He was way to young to go. I feel so bad for his kids. I wish I could just hug that whole family and say 'it is going to be okay'.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I agree with you. However, it wasn't him holding the baby while feeding the croc that bothered me, it was when he put the baby down at ground level and pretended like the baby was 'walking' along the water, at mouth level with the croc. That kind of scared me. But all in all. He seemed like such a nice guy. He had so much life in him. He was way to young to go. I feel so bad for his kids. I wish I could just hug that whole family and say 'it is going to be okay'.

I felt much better about Steve taking his son in with him to the croc pit than I did seeing Michael Jackson holding his infant over a balcony......

erasure fan1

They had about 12 people in and around the enclosure spotting the croc making sure Steve was aware of the croc at all times. Steve had also feed the croc and ran it around and tired it out before the show to make sure it was safe, so in my eyes he did nothing wrong, he was an expert. The thing is the news never reported on that stuff. I think its a shame that so many of the news stations had to bring this up as part of their story, they couldn’t just talk about all the great things he did.:( If you see the special confessions of the crocodile hunter you will see his passion for his family and wildlife.

spectromom

They had about 12 people in and around the enclosure spotting the croc making sure Steve was aware of the croc at all times. Steve had also feed the croc and ran it around and tired it out before the show to make sure it was safe, so in my eyes he did nothing wrong, he was an expert. The thing is the news never reported on that stuff. I think its a shame that so many of the news stations had to bring this up as part of their story, they couldn’t just talk about all the great things he did.:( If you see the special confessions of the crocodile hunter you will see his passion for his family and wildlife.
I totally agree with your whole statement. I wish the media would have reported on the great things Steve has done instead of talking about the baby incident. Steve was a professional and I believe if he thought for one moment he was putting his child in danger he wouldnt have done it. He has been around these animals since he was a kid. People have to remember they live in a different enviorment and these animals live in their backyard. I loved watching his shows and will def miss him :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom