Country Bear Jamboree

Animaniac93-98

I feel like I'm the only one here with this opinion, but for me, it's massively better than it was before it's refurb. I can decipher most of the dialog now, whereas before I really couldn't make any of it out.

I agree too, not only with what you posted but also the theater was much cleaner, the lighting was brighter and the figures (minus Henry 1 AA) looked and moved alot better.

Those expecting THX certified audio for the show need to realize the nature and age of the original recordings. If you listen to the mix found on A Musical History of Disneyland (taken form the 1972 attraction record) it's hardly bombastic and increasing the volume will just make the inherit background hiss more obvious (but it has been significantly reduced). The Christmas and Vacation Hoedown version were recorded in 1983 and 1986 respectively and likely used digital recoding technology so obviously they sound better, and complaining that the 1971 original doesn't sound as good is just ridiculous.

You may also site the Tiki Room recoding as a comparison as it is in better shape despite it's older age but from my experience in listening to restored albums from 1967-1971 the audio is never as good as early 60s or later 70s recordings. I'm no audio expert but since so many (Disney and not) recordings don't sound as good from that time it's understandable why CBJ isn't as impressive. Whether that was due to tech used in recoding or some alternate printing process that deteriorated the record more quickly over time, I don't know, you'd be best to get some real audio expert to consult.

BUT THE POINT IS this is as good as CBJ is going to sound. Whether or not the volume of the audio is good enough for you is another issue but for me it is fine.

marsrunner

Saw it in January of this year after having not seen it since 2000 and it sounded fine to me. Still a great show and a lot of fun. I certainly hope Disney doesn't listen to the naysayers like some in this thread and keep it around.

dave1105

Went for the first time this past January since being a kid and the sound was fine for me. However, it was DW, DD20 and DS18 first time and when it was over I got the eye roll from all of them!

I will admit it wasn't as good as I remember, but still for its age not terrible.

Dave Disney

I was there last January and I was definitely able to hear everything fine. I though it was great show and will definitely be doing it again in November!

Greggy D

I love CBJ. It takes me back to when I was a kid seeing it at Disneyland. One thing though....I don't get the reference..."Hey he's a regular Liberace"..."And he plays good too". Is this a reference to Gomer being gay? As was Liberace. Is it something that is meant for adults to get but not the kids? Maybe I just don't get the meaning of the statement or joke. I tried searching on this forum for anyone else asking this question and nobody has. Am I totally not getting that line lol?

Also - I'll be there for NYE. Is the X-Mas CBJ running this year?

frank2271

Original Poster
I don't think it is too much to ask for Disney to update the show to have "THX quality" sound. If they have to re-record the audio, so be it. I'm sure Disney can find people who can duplicate the voices perfectly. It is a great family show, it should be kept as perfect as possible.

The bear AA's were fine, just the animal heads were clicking like crazy. That can't be too hard to update, can it?

It is a classic show, it deserves the absolute best care available, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all,

Frank

mickeyjohn

The audio at the C B J is perfect. It isn't to loud but it isn't to soft. How ever the clicking heads are verry distracting. I wonder if they could make new heads and put the same audio track in the new head? If they did that wouldn't that make the clicking go away?

Animaniac93-98

The "clicking" noises likely come from the material the figures' eyelids and mouths are made of which sounds really noises when smacking against each other. There is no audio in the figures themselves.

rsoxguy

I love CBJ. It takes me back to when I was a kid seeing it at Disneyland. One thing though....I don't get the reference..."Hey he's a regular Liberace"..."And he plays good too". Is this a reference to Gomer being gay? As was Liberace. Is it something that is meant for adults to get but not the kids? Maybe I just don't get the meaning of the statement or joke. I tried searching on this forum for anyone else asking this question and nobody has. Am I totally not getting that line lol?

Also - I'll be there for NYE. Is the X-Mas CBJ running this year?

The joke is made to highlight the ignorance of the bear, presumably because he is a country hillbilly with little education. Think of someone saying, "You're a regular Bill Gates, and you also know a lot about technology." The joke is made at the expense of the person speaking because it makes him sound as though he doesn't know what he is talking about.

addcogulf

I think the entire Country Bears need a big rehab. I think they are a greatshow, but they are in really bad shape for a Disney attraction and after experiencing all the other attractions, when you get to the Country Bears, the neccessary repairs certainly show. Even the bears themselves need new coats!!!:xmas:

frank2271

Original Poster
Isn't it weird how some people think the sound needs to be improved and others think it sounds perfect? I don't know how to explain that???

Greggy D

The joke is made to highlight the ignorance of the bear, presumably because he is a country hillbilly with little education. Think of someone saying, "You're a regular Bill Gates, and you also know a lot about technology." The joke is made at the expense of the person speaking because it makes him sound as though he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thanks for that clarification :) I wouldn't think Disney would have GONE THERE so to speak but I wasn't sure either.

Animaniac93-98

Isn't it weird how some people think the sound needs to be improved and others think it sounds perfect? I don't know how to explain that???

I think it sounds perfect because I get the reasons behind the nature of the recording, it's age and the restoration effort.

You old farts need hearing aids, and you young folks need to not wear ear phones 24/7. ;)

WDWPrincess87

:wave:i have to agree, the show has failed alot over the years. it hasnt been my favorite ride (kinda creepy!) and i havent been on it in years but last time i was on it it was bad i have to say. its one ride i'd be happy to see go and a newer, awesome ride take its place!!:p

Dj Corona

Saw it in late October, and the biggest problem was in a half empty show, (it was late, during EMH, BTW) Buff, Max, and Melvin's working parts were so loud and squeaky, you could hear them halfway across the theatre...Don't think it's as easy as a can of DW-40 to fix something like that!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I somehow managed to never see the country bear jamboree until yesterday either, and I thought it was really great. However, the mechanical noises coming from the animals mounted on the wall were beyond obnoxious. I think we had the same seat as you, far right in the theater.

Yep I had the EXACT same seat at the very end beside the talking heads, except I was on the 3rd row! Dang, I was on the freaking third row and I could barely hear Liverlips!!!! :fork:

I went on the country bear jam-boring, er, jamboree a second time when we went to MK again, sat on the 2nd row. I still couldn't hear liverlips, but what's up with Big Al's stage being the loudest and i'm on the complete other side of him? :lookaroun Sounds to me like that "audio update" just went to the Big A.! Also, that bear who sings "how long will my baby be gone", he does a weird dance so fast during the finale that I think I heard a loud "POP!"... and then he um, stopped dancing. :lol: Honestly all I basically heard was Big A. and the -squeek! click! squeeking- of the heads..

BrowncoatChelle

On my last trip with my girlfriend, we saw this (Dec. 08) and she has been a big CBJ fan her entire life. She hadn't seen the show since 95 but when we came out, she made me promise her to never go to it again because it was such a disappointment.

I'll admit, I am not the biggest fan of Country Bears, but it kinda reminded me of the scene from "A Goofy Movie" where they go to that Possum Park. Just my thoughts.

larathydo

On my last trip with my girlfriend, we saw this (Dec. 08) and she has been a big CBJ fan her entire life. She hadn't seen the show since 95 but when we came out, she made me promise her to never go to it again because it was such a disappointment.

I'll admit, I am not the biggest fan of Country Bears, but it kinda reminded me of the scene from "A Goofy Movie" where they go to that Possum Park. Just my thoughts.

It's funny you say that - my girlfriend and I thought exactly the same thing. It was our first time visiting the attraction. It's a shame, you can tell it's a neat little show, but the audio aspect of it is quite lacking for this day and age. I would have loved it too if the characters could have been a little clearer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom