Country Bear Jamboree

MarkTwain

I love the Country Bear Jam dearly. But I've always said that anytime the sound of AA blinking is drowning out his speech, it's time for a refurb.

Make with the fixing it Disney! It makes me sad to watch this show and imagine what it could be. :(

puntagordabob

I've had better experiences at Chuck E. Cheese.

This show is horrible. Classic or not....it needs to get into and stay in the past...quick!

The philosophy posted above is what brought us Tiki Room: Under New Management and Stitch's Great Escape...

I like the Country Bears....and while perhaps the mechanical aspects of the attraction need some love the actual show is just fine...would be cool if they updated the tech to allow multiple show versions... BUT the show that is running is fun and enjoyable.

MKCP 1985

I like the Country Bears....and while perhaps the mechanical aspects of the attraction need some love the actual show is just fine...would be cool if they updated the tech to allow multiple show versions... BUT the show that is running is fun and enjoyable.

When was the last time you saw it?

From browsing similar threads over the past couple of months, it seems that most people expressing your view haven't been lately, and then when they see it for themselves in its current state, their opinions change 180 degrees.

If you think obviously fake bears with whirring heads and out of sync or inaudible lyrics are fun, good for you. :lookaroun

If you want to be made to believe that through Disney magic these bears could be real (which was probably the case the first time you saw it if you saw it as a kid), the show falls far short of the mark. I let the kids be the judge. The kids who've seen it with me are not impressed.

puntagordabob

When was the last time you saw it?

From browsing similar threads over the past couple of months, it seems that most people expressing your view haven't been lately, and then when they see it for themselves in its current state, their opinions change 180 degrees.

If you think obviously fake bears with whirring heads and out of sync or inaudible lyrics are fun, good for you. :lookaroun

If you want to be made to believe that through Disney magic these bears could be real (which was probably the case the first time you saw it if you saw it as a kid), the show falls far short of the mark. I let the kids be the judge. The kids who've seen it with me are not impressed.

No disrespect intended but did you actually READ what I wrote?

and while perhaps the mechanical aspects of the attraction need some love the actual show is just fine....

Not sure what part of that confused you...but I clearly stated I like the show content ***BUT*** that the mechancical side of the attraction needs work!
Also for the record, I was on it a couple months back....

Infusing Disney Magic back into the attraction is fine....but updating the show content by gutting the original show at the Magic Kingdom has given us some pain (Alien Encounter > Stitch's Great Escape... Tropical Serenade/Enchanted Tiki Room > Under New Management) in the past and I am certain the CBJ would be meet a similar fate...

MKCP 1985

No disrespect intended but did you actually READ what I wrote?

I did. When you re-read and quoted your post, did you think your post told the reader how recently you had experienced the show? Never mind. . . it doesn't matter.

Not sure what part of that confused you...but I clearly stated I like the show content ***BUT*** that the mechancical side of the attraction needs work!
Also for the record, I was on it a couple months back....

You wrote, and I quote: "[T]he actual show is just fine." A fair interpretation of your comment above is that you enjoy the show even though its mechanics need work. Perhaps there are other interpretations, but that's why I suggested that what you enjoy may not be good enough for what others expect from Disney's Magic Kingdom.

Infusing Disney Magic back into the attraction is fine....but updating the show content by gutting the original show at the Magic Kingdom has given us some pain (Alien Encounter > Stitch's Great Escape... Tropical Serenade/Enchanted Tiki Room > Under New Management) in the past and I am certain the CBJ would be meet a similar fate...
In my opinion, if the CBJ can't up its game, it deserves whatever fate befalls it.

puntagordabob

I did. When you re-read and quoted your post, did you think your post told the reader how recently you had experienced the show? Never mind. . . it doesn't matter..

The date and time I have last seen CBJ is of no importance.... I certainly would not have posted something using a memory of a 30+ year trip to the MK lol.... Just Sayin'

You wrote, and I quote: "[T]he actual show is just fine." A fair interpretation of your comment above is that you enjoy the show even though its mechanics need work. Perhaps there are other interpretations, but that's why I suggested that what you enjoy may not be good enough for what others expect from Disney's Magic Kingdom.

Ah so now what I expect is "subpar" because I disagree with you on the content of the CBJ show...lol amusing.

In my opinion, if the CBJ can't up its game, it deserves whatever fate befalls it.

Yeah, this flawed logic brought us Stitch's Great Escape and TR: Under New Management. The correct logic is to FIX what is ailing, not to shoot the darn attraction down the crapper.

Walt Disney1955

If you want to be made to believe that through Disney magic these bears could be real (which was probably the case the first time you saw it if you saw it as a kid), the show falls far short of the mark. I let the kids be the judge. The kids who've seen it with me are not impressed

In all honesty, I can hear the show and the words fine. Maybe it's just me because this is a favourite of mine and I am familiar with the words. I suppose it can use a refurb but I wouldn't change the characters, the songs or the lyrics. This is what gives the show it's charm. Maybe the sound can improve but that's as far as I go.

And just one last thing, have you ever been to Disney World before? Since when do we have to believe that the bears are real? Are we really flying over London in Peter Pan? Is that really Pan that we bump into? No, its just an illusion. Like the Bears. I think the bears are likeable and even lovable characters which a person can relate to in a lighthearted way. To me this is Disney in a nutshell.

Besides, I've said it before and I say it again. People have the RIGHT to not like an attraction, but the hate for stuff like CBJ or COP and the idea of "gutting" it out (like anyone has a better idea of what to put there) tells me one thing about society. We are clearly becoming an attention deficit world when simple stuff like this isn't appreciated anymore. Would 3-D glasses help? :D

MKCP 1985

And just one last thing, have you ever been to Disney World before? Since when do we have to believe that the bears are real? Are we really flying over London in Peter Pan? Is that really Pan that we bump into? No, its just an illusion. Like the Bears. I think the bears are likeable and even lovable characters which a person can relate to in a lighthearted way. To me this is Disney in a nutshell.

If that is what Disney is to you, and you like it, than good for you. :sohappy: We are all looking for that little spark of happiness, either for our children or for ourselves, are we not?

The first time I went to Walt Disney World was 1972. I was 6 years old. I thought the Tiki birds were real, maybe. They looked real. They sounded real, but how could they carry on a show like that? The country bears were so lifelike and incomparable to anything else anywhere that I was amazed. I had a post card of Big Al that I purchased in the Frontierland Trading Store, along with a frontier rifle and a skin cap. Totally into the whole experience.

Maybe you don't get that - maybe you do. I don't know.

In the 40 years since, technology has improved but the Country Bears have mostly stood pat. The kids I have taken to the parks - my own, their friends, my nieces and nephews - they mostly don't care a bit about the Country Bears. The attraction isn't special to them - its cheap. Chuck E Cheese's band is more lifelike. :shrug: You ask whether we are supposed to believe that's Peter Pan we bump into - the answer is in the eyes of the kids, not a jaded adult, Phil. And they DO believe that IS Mickey Mouse or Peter Pan or Cinderella, up to a point or up to a certain age.

But if they don't believe even for a moment in the Country Bears, then their experience is less than what mine was at their age, and that is a shame. My expectation of Walt Disney World parks is that its imagineers will continue to push forward with new technologies to keep the parks' attractions things of wonder. Toy Story Midway Mania is a great new addition, as an example.

The Country Bear Jamboree occupies a large space of prime real estate in Frontierland. If it can't be made better and given a "wow" factor so that the young kids WANT to experience it, then it won't bother me if it gets replaced like it did at Disneyland.

That's all.

Walt Disney1955

If that is what Disney is to you, and you like it, than good for you. :sohappy: We are all looking for that little spark of happiness, either for our children or for ourselves, are we not?

The first time I went to Walt Disney World was 1972. I was 6 years old. I thought the Tiki birds were real, maybe. They looked real. They sounded real, but how could they carry on a show like that? The country bears were so lifelike and incomparable to anything else anywhere that I was amazed. I had a post card of Big Al that I purchased in the Frontierland Trading Store, along with a frontier rifle and a skin cap. Totally into the whole experience.

I actually do get that, very much.

In the 40 years since, technology has improved but the Country Bears have mostly stood pat. The kids I have taken to the parks - my own, their friends, my nieces and nephews - they mostly don't care a bit about the Country Bears. The attraction isn't special to them - its cheap. Chuck E Cheese's band is more lifelike. :shrug: You ask whether we are supposed to believe that's Peter Pan we bump into - the answer is in the eyes of the kids, not a jaded adult, Phil. And they DO believe that IS Mickey Mouse or Peter Pan or Cinderella, up to a point or up to a certain age.

But if they don't believe even for a moment in the Country Bears, then their experience is less than what mine was at their age, and that is a shame. My expectation of Walt Disney World parks is that its imagineers will continue to push forward with new technologies to keep the parks' attractions things of wonder. Toy Story Midway Mania is a great new addition, as an example.

Well like I said, Disney is all about quality. It is beyond me why they don't upgrade the AA's and the sound. If that's the case is it really all that bad of an attraction if that's all it needs? And in a way times of changed for the worst. In 1972 it was a different world. There were no cellphones, no texts, no emails etc. Even the attention span of a 6 year old in 1972 was better than perhaps a 12 year old today. I blame society and the pandering we do to make everything seem as if the only people that should be entertained are the ADD cases. That's too bad, because we miss out on the quality when that happens. Have you thought that a kid in 1972 needed less to be entertained with than one today?

The Country Bear Jamboree occupies a large space of prime real estate in Frontierland. If it can't be made better and given a "wow" factor so that the young kids WANT to experience it, then it won't bother me if it gets replaced like it did at Disneyland.

And I ask people what exactly should that be? The skeptics of CBJ never really give an answer. The worst I ever heard was increasing the Peco's Bill Cafe. In all honesty, since CBJ has such a wide range of opinions on it (some love it, some hate it) is MK really a worse park with it there rather than an empty space, honestly, I have heard that the empty space as a suggestion. It fits the theming, it fits the mood of the area and if anything it never gets any marketing or publicity.

MKCP 1985

[1] I actually do get that, very much.

[2] Well like I said, Disney is all about quality. It is beyond me why they don't upgrade the AA's and the sound. If that's the case is it really all that bad of an attraction if that's all it needs? And in a way times of changed for the worst. In 1972 it was a different world. There were no cellphones, no texts, no emails etc. Even the attention span of a 6 year old in 1972 was better than perhaps a 12 year old today. I blame society and the pandering we do to make everything seem as if the only people that should be entertained are the ADD cases. That's too bad, because we miss out on the quality when that happens. Have you thought that a kid in 1972 needed less to be entertained with than one today?

[3] And I ask people what exactly should that be? The skeptics of CBJ never really give an answer. The worst I ever heard was increasing the Peco's Bill Cafe. In all honesty, since CBJ has such a wide range of opinions on it (some love it, some hate it) is MK really a worse park with it there rather than an empty space, honestly, I have heard that the empty space as a suggestion. It fits the theming, it fits the mood of the area and if anything it never gets any marketing or publicity.

1. thank you.
2. agreed, but kids of today are exposed to a whole lot more at an earlier age than kids of yesterday.
3. probably a discussion for the armchair imagineering forum. I am a skeptic and have an answer, but I have no authority at WDW. :lol:

Walt Disney1955

1. thank you.
2. agreed, but kids of today are exposed to a whole lot more at an earlier age than kids of yesterday.
3. probably a discussion for the armchair imagineering forum. I am a skeptic and have an answer, but I have no authority at WDW. :lol:

That's okay, share anyway. Honestly I never have heard a good reason to get rid of Country Bear Jamboree. What can fit the theme in Frontierland that can go there?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
uh oh, another argument. i'm going to stay outa this one and just say that we should make 2 groups of angry mobs outside the guest relations, and the country bear jamboree entree :)

MKCP 1985

That's okay, share anyway. Honestly I never have heard a good reason to get rid of Country Bear Jamboree. What can fit the theme in Frontierland that can go there?

Seeing as how the powers that be want everything new to have a merchandise tie in, and seeing as how Frontier wild west shows have been popular forever in this country, I think a "Woody's Round Up" show with all the western characters of Toy Story (Sheriff Woody, Jesse, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete) would be very popular there with state of the art audio animatronics.

That would appeal to families, be popular with the kids and would stay true to the theme of Frontierland. It would also expand on the story line of Toy Story 2, referencing the TV show that got canceled before it could resolve its cliffhanger ending. :)

puntagordabob

If that is what Disney is to you, and you like it, than good for you. :sohappy: We are all looking for that little spark of happiness, either for our children or for ourselves, are we not? .

Disney is a little spark of happiness for me also...but Phil's opinion there is not any less valid than yours or mine....

The first time I went to Walt Disney World was 1972. I was 6 years old. I thought the Tiki birds were real, maybe. They looked real. They sounded real, but how could they carry on a show like that? The country bears were so lifelike and incomparable to anything else anywhere that I was amazed. I had a post card of Big Al that I purchased in the Frontierland Trading Store, along with a frontier rifle and a skin cap. Totally into the whole experience..

I visited the MK for the 1st time in the fall of 1971 (think it was December) as a 4 year old little boy... Although as an adult I understand the Tech in my heart even as an adult the Tiki Birds ARE real.... Jose and his flock are my earliest magical memory which is why when they changed the show to the UNM fiasco I have taken such offense to it.. Here is where I have an issue...because people felt about the Tiki Room in the 1990s like you state about the CBJ now is what got us stuck with what we have now. The original show is TIMELESS, while the UNM show is craptacular and dated even after only 12 years. Also for the record just because the show content is old doesnt mean it is still not good fun and entertaining. Sure, Disney needs to update the tech....agreed with that point all along... the changing the show part is NOT something I agree with. Walt Disney had a hand in some of these attractions we are discussing...I for one do not agree with taking WALT out of Walt Disney.... The Tiki Room was one of his favorite shows...he snuck in their often during the show and was suddenly sitting amidst the Guests to the amazement of the guests at DL....[/QUOTE]

Its funny how you revere your memories with these characters in one breathe (and that we need to understand that) and in the next you promote essentially their destruction... I am not sure it is "we" who are not getting it.

- the answer is in the eyes of the kids, not a jaded adult, Phil. .

So you call Phil a Jaded Adult? "Jaded according to Dictionary.com: Tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something"

... just because Phil doesnt agree with you...well I got some bad news for you MKCP: I dont agree with you either... and after reading that def of Jaded how can you say Phil is bored, or lacking enthusiasm????? Phils is enthusiastic over the CBJ, while in fact you are the one who is bored, and lacking enthusiasm in reference to the CBJ.... So perhaps it would be best to not take your cute little jabs at Phil like that...

But if they don't believe even for a moment in the Country Bears, then their experience is less than what mine was at their age,....."

Once again you are making your frame of reference the ONLY acceptable frame to start with ... and dismissing anyone else's as insignificant.

The Country Bear Jamboree occupies a large space of prime real estate in Frontierland. If it can't be made better and given a "wow" factor so that the young kids WANT to experience it, then it won't bother me if it gets replaced like it did at Disneyland. .

Under your criteria most of what is at the MK should be torn down... Does the CoP wow kids? When the new Fantasyland expansion with the new Little Mermaid darkride appears it will surely make the current dark rides in Fantasyland look more dated than an Atari 2600 versus an Xbox360 so those can go then too...

BEWARE of the Slippery Slope you are wanting to travel for it may lead to something you DO care about going Bye Bye someday MKCP.....

That's all.

In other words you are Right and everyone else is Wrong...your way or the highway.... if you were not a longtime poster on here I would swear you are a troll lol...but sadly you are probably dead serious in your state opinion and THATS FINE as you are entitled to have any that you want...BUT to arbitrarily dismiss everyone else's opinon is conceded imho!

puntagordabob

Seeing as how the powers that be want everything new to have a merchandise tie in

Just because that is valid it seems for the moment with TDO doesnt mean that it is RIGHT in the long run. Some of the longest most popular attractions were original with NO movie merchandise tie in... Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc etc..... in fact they SPAWNED merchandise and movie tie-ins....

MKCP 1985

Disney is a little spark of happiness for me also...but Phil's opinion there is not any less valid than yours or mine....

We are discussing our opinions here in an exchange of ideas. If in suggesting that your opinion might be in the minority, that came across as dismissing your opinion or judging your opinion to be invalid, that was not my intent.

I visited the MK for the 1st time in the fall of 1971 (think it was December) as a 4 year old little boy... Although as an adult I understand the Tech in my heart even as an adult the Tiki Birds ARE real.... Jose and his flock are my earliest magical memory which is why when they changed the show to the UNM fiasco I have taken such offense to it.. Here is where I have an issue...because people felt about the Tiki Room in the 1990s like you state about the CBJ now is what got us stuck with what we have now. The original show is TIMELESS, while the UNM show is craptacular and dated even after only 12 years. Also for the record just because the show content is old doesnt mean it is still not good fun and entertaining. Sure, Disney needs to update the tech....agreed with that point all along... the changing the show part is NOT something I agree with. Walt Disney had a hand in some of these attractions we are discussing...I for one do not agree with taking WALT out of Walt Disney.... The Tiki Room was one of his favorite shows...he snuck in their often during the show and was suddenly sitting amidst the Guests to the amazement of the guests at DL....

The thing I am getting at here is something we can probably both agree upon: The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a place of awe and wonder in the eyes of the kids and the young at heart, and if it is, it will remain a place where adults who "get" that Disney magic will want to return again and again. Whether a person took their first visit in the early 70s or took their first visit today, I would hope they get a sense of "wow." Where we differ is in whether to sacrifice the guest experience to preserve the nostalgia of old attractions.

Its funny how you revere your memories with these characters in one breathe (and that we need to understand that) and in the next you promote essentially their destruction... I am not sure it is "we" who are not getting it.

It is not so much the memory I would seek to preserve as the feeling of wonder and awe. If that means closing attractions like the Mickey Mouse Review and replacing them with (eventually) Mickey's PhilharMagic, and the quality of the experience results in a child being awed by the sights, sounds and smells of the new show, then . . . goodbye Mickey Mouse Review, and no regrets. But we are talking about the Country Bear Jamboree here and the same thoughts would apply. In my opinion, if that attraction can't wow people like it did in 1971, then for the good of the park it needs to be improved or replaced with something that will.

So you call Phil a Jaded Adult? "Jaded according to Dictionary.com: Tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something"

... just because Phil doesnt agree with you...well I got some bad news for you MKCP: I dont agree with you either... and after reading that def of Jaded how can you say Phil is bored, or lacking enthusiasm????? Phils is enthusiastic over the CBJ, while in fact you are the one who is bored, and lacking enthusiasm in reference to the CBJ.... So perhaps it would be best to not take your cute little jabs at Phil like that...
In discussing the Country Bear Jamboree attraction, it is clear that we don't agree.

Do you really want to talk about being jaded? It is my goal to maintain the Magic Kingdom as a place where people feel like they HAVE gone through the looking glass into a special place by offering the best available rides and attractions in the world and not settling for nostalgia with clicks and whirrs and inaudible audio. I think we want the same thing - you have said all along to fix the attraction. Where we differ is our beliefs that this attraction can be fixed and accomplish its goals of truly entertaining and wowing its audience.

Once again you are making your frame of reference the ONLY acceptable frame to start with ... and dismissing anyone else's as insignificant.

Yes, it is my hope that every child who visits the Magic Kingdom has as great an experience as mine was back in 1972. I also believe for that to happen, some older attractions will need to be replaced from time to time.

Under your criteria most of what is at the MK should be torn down... Does the CoP wow kids? When the new Fantasyland expansion with the new Little Mermaid darkride appears it will surely make the current dark rides in Fantasyland look more dated than an Atari 2600 versus an Xbox360 so those can go then too...

BEWARE of the Slippery Slope you are wanting to travel for it may lead to something you DO care about going Bye Bye someday MKCP.....

That has already happened more than once. By any objective measure, Winnie the Pooh is a superior attraction to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which was one of my favorites. I am a big enough person to admit change was for the better. Pooh is one of the most popular rides in Fantasyland. Another thing I thought would last forever was the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea lagoon. It broke my heart for it to go away, but I am optimistic that the expanded Fantasyland will be an exciting place to take my grandkids someday, should I be so blessed.

In other words you are Right and everyone else is Wrong...your way or the highway.... if you were not a longtime poster on here I would swear you are a troll lol...but sadly you are probably dead serious in your state opinion and THATS FINE as you are entitled to have any that you want...BUT to arbitrarily dismiss everyone else's opinon is conceded imho!

:shrug: Don't let my long time membership here be a factor. I don't agree that I've dismissed everyone else's opinion and I stated at the outset that it was not my intention to judge your opinion to be invalid.

Just because that is valid it seems for the moment with TDO doesnt mean that it is RIGHT in the long run. Some of the longest most popular attractions were original with NO movie merchandise tie in... Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc etc..... in fact they SPAWNED merchandise and movie tie-ins....
Who is to say what will turn out to be the right decision in the long run? As for those other attractions you mention and some you don't, both the Haunted Mansion and Pirates have undergone some transformation to stay current: The bride in the attic, Madame Leota's crystal ball, Captain Davey Jones on the mist and Captain Jack Sparrow's influence on the show scenes just to name a few. Efforts to maintain Country Bear Jamboree seem half hearted by comparison, and to me, that suggests the attraction isn't as beloved by the powers that be.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

The thing is, it really doesn't. The building isn't really big enough to house anything more than another meet-n-greet.

Is that really what we want the MK to become? A large collection of M-n-G's?

Why take out another attraction when there isn't anything in the works to fill the small space that would be available?

Walt Disney1955

Seeing as how the powers that be want everything new to have a merchandise tie in, and seeing as how Frontier wild west shows have been popular forever in this country, I think a "Woody's Round Up" show with all the western characters of Toy Story (Sheriff Woody, Jesse, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete) would be very popular there with state of the art audio animatronics.

That would appeal to families, be popular with the kids and would stay true to the theme of Frontierland. It would also expand on the story line of Toy Story 2, referencing the TV show that got canceled before it could resolve its cliffhanger ending. :)

Nothing against Toy Story or anything but there already is Buzz Lightyear's Ranger Spin and Toy Story Mania. Your idea isn't "bad" per se but why not add another show to Frontierland somewhere rather than replace one? I'm sure if you twist the arm of Disney they can find some empty real estate in Frontierland.

And again I will say this. You say your nieces and such didn't care for it. Is there a chance they saw your reaction to CBJ and that influenced their decision? If it was okay for you as a 6 year old then what's wrong with the next generation?

MarkTwain

The thing is, it really doesn't. The building isn't really big enough to house anything more than another meet-n-greet.

Is that really what we want the MK to become? A large collection of M-n-G's?

Why take out another attraction when there isn't anything in the works to fill the small space that would be available?

Thanks Unkadug, I was about to post that. For a direct visual comparison, check out this map. You can pan the image around and compare building footprints. The CBJ is a fraction of the size of the QSR restaurant next door, and is even significantly smaller than the famously compact Fantasyland dark rides. It's even smaller than the Enchanted Tiki Room! You wouldn't be able to put anything in there other than another small stage show, a shop, or a M&G.

As disappointing as the show's technology is in its current state of repair, imagine the uproar that would be caused if Disney were to take the show down and replace it with... well, anything really. I guarantee it would be like Mr. Toads all over again, probably worse. But unlike Mr. Toad, you couldn't just make a trip to Disneyland to be able to see them. And no replacement would likely be able to capture the master character designs of Marc Davis, the tribute to a history of American music, or the distinction of being one of the most complex all-Animatronic shows in entertainment history. No meet and greet is worth that loss.

I say we should count our blessings, and appreciate one of the unique vistages of the original WDW that we still have. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks Unkadug, I was about to post that. For a direct visual comparison, check out this map. You can pan the image around and compare building footprints. The CBJ is a fraction of the size of the QSR restaurant next door, and is even significantly smaller than the famously compact Fantasyland dark rides. It's even smaller than the Enchanted Tiki Room! You wouldn't be able to put anything in there other than another small stage show, a shop, or a M&G.

Thanks for the visual aid. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom