Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

J.E.Smith

They wouldn't remove Blood on The Saddle. I mean that's the best moment of the show right there, plus how would they go into the finale? The whole point of the final song is the other bears trying to drown Big Al out. What would they replace it with? Big Al's song from Vacation Hoedown? That'd be lame.

The Duck

They wouldn't remove Blood on The Saddle. I mean that's the best moment of the show right there, plus how would they go into the finale? The whole point of the final song is the other bears trying to drown Big Al out. What would they replace it with? Big Al's song from Vacation Hoedown? That'd be lame.
I've yet to hear any conformation what (if any) cuts are going to be made in the show. So far it all seems to be speculation. I agree that cutting Blood on the Saddle would be a huge mistake. Hopefully it'll just be a refurb and the show will remain intact.

cheezbat

If they cut any of those songs they're basically cutting out the heart and soul of the show. Those are my three favorite numbers!

I swear...if this happens, so help me TDO!

prberk

Here's the complete song by Homer and Jethro and I don't think they're singing about a dog. Regardless, I hope they don't cut any of the show. I love the Bears just the way they are.

Cool clip. Now, Homer and Jethro were famous for making song parodies among other things, but it does sound like these are the original lyrics of the song. It is a funny song from a time when people didn't read so much into everything. Even the last line is self-deprecating to folksong singers...

The best thing about this clip, though, is the name of the album: Fractured Folk Songs. Now we know where the Disney artists probably got the other lines: "Now, here's a fractured folk song, butchered by two birds. We wrote these lousy lyrics. And we also wrote the words!" Homer and Jethro were also known as "America's Song Butchers." Puts it all into context.

The Duck

The best thing about this clip, though, is the name of the album: Fractured Folk Songs. Now we know where the Disney artists probably got the other lines: "Now, here's a fractured folk song, butchered by two birds. We wrote these lousy lyrics. And we also wrote the words!" Homer and Jethro were also known as "America's Song Butchers." Puts it all into context.
The song, "Fractured Folksong", was also sung by Homer and Jethro and I believe that it's on the same album. You can find most of the CBJ songs on YouTube sung by the original artists. Here's another sample.

prberk

Thanks Duck. I have heard Tex Ritter do "Blood on the Saddle" on other recordings, and Wanda Jackson doing "Tears Will Be the Chaser of Your Wine," but not some of the others. I do know that they were all either popular country songs or folk songs with long roots back in time. Porter Waggoner also did "Old Sloughfoot" (a.k.a., "Bear Tracks"), and he was big on the Grand Ole Opry -- itself a famous variety show with comedy and country songs. The original imagineers did their research.

I actually think that a full re-programming could be done and done well, if they enlisted the help of people like Suzy Bogguss (whose American Folk Songs album is as pure as the wind-driven snow), Ricky Skaggs, Sam Bush, Brad Paisley, Marty Stuart, WSM's Eddie Stubbs or SiriusXM's Kyle Cantrell, or any of the people behind "O Mickey Where Art Thou" (which showed amazing quality and understanding of courntry). I believe that if Disney worked with the right people they could update this show yet keep it timeless. Kind of like the care that they took for the Haunted Mansion upgrade.

Skooterkid

After visiting Disney World every year since 1998, I have never seen the Country Bear Jamboree... until this last Tuesday that is! And I loved it! This is an instant classic - the characters are hilarious and whilst I knew none of the songs I loved how a dozen or so people in the audience knew every single word. Who knows, in a few years time I might be one of those people too! I'm going to visit next Tuesday again just before the refurbishment so that the original version will be fresh in my mind when I seen the new version so I can compare the two. I can see areas for improvement in terms of the animatronics' movement and the audio (the moose seemed particularly quiet) but I really hope that they keep the heart and soul of this attraction very much the same!

Clever Name

After due consideration, I have come to the conclusion that modern Hip-Hop is really too big a jump for the CBJ. I think it would be better to stick with rap standards that have stood the test of time. Dressing the bears in hammer pants and having them perform U Can't Touch This while break dancing would be an instant hit. A Rick James medley could follow and for the old timers it might be fun to throw in some disco with costumes and Bee Gees songs.

WDW1974

Only rumors as far as I know. There's a possibility that one (or all) of the following may be cut/shortened. "Mama Don't Whip Little Buford", "All the Guys That Turn me on, Turn me Down" and (brace yourself) "Blood on the Saddle".
Some folks seem to think that the P.C. Gestapo might be going on a bear hunt this fall.

How exactly would there be a show if they did that?

Seriously. Burn the freaking place down and put up a vinyls shop if you're going to destroy a classic.

Captain Chaos

How exactly would there be a show if they did that?

Seriously. Burn the freaking place down and put up a vinyls shop if you're going to destroy a classic.

Well, I am sure in some WDW board room there was this discussion:

PERSON 1: So what can we do about Country Bear Jamboree?

PERSON 2: Well, we get complaints about certain songs being too graphic and not PC.

PERSON 3: Ok, let's cut the offending material out of the show then.

PERSON 1: But that would reduce the show to 10 seconds.

PERSON 2: But think of the money we will save if we do that.

PERSON 3: Even better, we can establish a Vinylmation/Pin Store and a DVC cart there. Think about the money we save and can make at the same time.

PERSON 1: Love the idea. Wait what? People would be annoyed we destroyed another classic? Who cares. They are only tourists, what do they know?

PERSON 4: If you dare you are all fired. Someone here needs to use some common sense since no one else does.

WDW1974

If the material is so offensive...they could, I don't know...have a show writer create new content like they did twice 25 years ago

There's nothing offensive. Disney has become so PC over the last 15 years it is sickening.

These are freaking redneck country animatronic bears here ... who are not even engaging in any sort of offensive behavior. There will always be people offended by things. I am offended that I am stuck in SoFL until next month. We all have things to be offended by ... but when they are beyond minor, we need to shut the hell up and keep walking.

asianway

There's nothing offensive. Disney has become so PC over the last 15 years it is sickening.

These are freaking redneck country animatronic bears here ... who are not even engaging in any sort of offensive behavior. There will always be people offended by things. I am offended that I am stuck in SoFL until next month. We all have things to be offended by ... but when they are beyond minor, we need to shut the hell up and keep walking.
I agree, but I'm sure there are surveys to support this change...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom