Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

USA REPORTING 24,570 cases today.

The UK actually has more of it's population as a percentage vaccinated than the USA. And far more who've had one dose and waiting on their second dose.
But they have different percentages with 1st and second doses and had a much larger population with 1 dose for longer. Not saying bad, but...

And being true here, all caps is really hard for me to read as a dyslexic person, plus it's shouting. July 7th I see 32k then 8th 23k and pretty under reported on the 3rd and 4th. When the 7 day average jumps I'll be more concerned. Not all states report daily any longer so we have jumps on certain days. Trying to be level headed here, but I still don't see a massive jump. Blips I expect and even increases. Until we have enough with natural immunity and vaccines this will happen. Expect it since we're low on vaccines in some areas. I won't worry quite yet since we're not skyrocketing at the moment and other numbers are holding.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But they have different percentages with 1st and second doses and had a much larger population with 1 dose for longer. Not saying bad, but...

And being true here, all caps is really hard for me to read as a dyslexic person, plus it's shouting. July 7th I see 32k then 8th 23k and pretty under reported on the 3rd and 4th. When the 7 day average jumps I'll be more concerned. Not all states report daily any longer so we have jumps on certain days. Trying to be level headed here, but I still don't see a massive jump. Blips I expect and even increases. Until we have enough with natural immunity and vaccines this will happen. Expect it since we're low on vaccines in some areas. I won't worry quite yet since we're not skyrocketing at the moment and other numbers are holding.
I tried level headed already….some people just have an agenda and there’s no rational conversation to be had.

To your point if you look at the graph below the 3 very low days are 7/3, 7/4 and 7/5 and then there’s a bump up the next 3 days. Some of that is less testing over the holiday weekend and some is just lack of reporting. The actual change the rolling 7 day avg is up 15% week over week.
BD3129CB-3116-497F-B17F-BEF80CB49B42.jpeg

Last edited:

Touchdown

Too early to tell and could be affected by the holiday. You all need to watch In the Heights and take Abdula Claudia’s mantra to heart. If those of you who live in fear are right, things are going to get significantly worse soon so you might as well enjoy a few weeks of summer freedom.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Too early to tell and could be affected by the holiday. You all need to watch In the Heights and take Abdula Claudia’s mantra to heart. If those of you who live in fear are right, things are going to get significantly worse soon so you might as well enjoy a few weeks of summer freedom.
The sad reality is if we really did hit 500,000 cases a day it might jump start the vaccination effort, but even if it didn’t we’d reach herd immunity the hard way by the end of the Summer anyway :(

Angel Ariel

The vaccines have been around for 6+ months now and many of the highest risk people who were more likely to have serious issues with an infection despite being vaccinated went early on so the high risk group have been vaccinated for the better part of those 6 months.
There are high risk children who are as yet unable to be vaccinated due to being under 12..not speaking to you specifically, but many in my area downplay or ignore that fact

correcaminos

Abuela (or Aubuelita) not Abdula

Geez everyone has an agenda today (being 1000% sarcastic and trying to add levity to the thread again)

Edit: though looking at this Paula Abdul would make for a fun Abuela.

correcaminos

Agree, last I checked hospitizations and deaths in the UK and Israel are not up significantly. People need to R-E-L-A-X provided your vaccinated. Step away from cable news it rots your brain.
I get those who are more high risk worrying a little, but hopefully they can take precautions if they are. There are a few friends of mine who are super high risk and they still worry some. I respect that. That and those kids who are waiting who are high risk too.

At this point even some of my guesses on how bad increases or blips would be were wrong. In a good way too. Since my whole immediate family is vaccinated I will just enjoy my summer and try not to fret. I hope most vaccinated can do that too. We all need a breather. Not to say we need to ignore things, but just be on the calmer side. We've had so many chicken little moments with this after some real sky is falling moments that I just have a total wait and see. My anxiety cannot take more than that ;)

Angel Ariel

Agree, last I checked hospitizations and deaths in the UK and Israel are not up significantly. People need to R-E-L-A-X provided your vaccinated. Step away from cable news it rots your brain.
I’m not worried for myself. I am concerned for my child, who is basically a medical unicorn, so no one knows how it will impact her. She’s under 12 so vaxxing is not yet an option for her.

hopemax

So interesting side topic. You know how people were so worried about what masks and lockdowns would do to people's health? Apparently, for asthmatics the pandemic life was awesome for controlling attacks. Fewer trips to the doctor and the hospital (the article explains how they know people weren't simply avoiding out of covid), fewer kids in pediatric ICU's. So now doctors are trying to figure out what they got wrong about triggers. They tended to focus on home-life, but other environments and especially viral exposures were playing a bigger role.

correcaminos

I’m trying to. But I’m still concerned.
I wish there were a hug smiley here. I get you and I'm not looking down on anyone for being concerned - because we might have need to be. I know most everyone here knows I'd do everything I could to help out but I'm at a point where I am tired. I did a good run of helping people vaccinate and gave time last summer/fall for the trial. I've tried all I can to help change minds so I need my mental break if that makes sense. I deal with GAD among other things and as my wise 13yo says, we just need to breathe a little. I live for summers, we managed a great trip to WDW in June after we were all vaccinated but indoor masks were required so I felt good. I was completely wrong on the level of increase that occurred after spring break. I mean dead wrong. I expected a small spike and we got a blip if that. Made me realize I'm clueless and need to just have faith in the science.

If I can pick up another or two to vaccinate alone the way too, great ;)

TrainsOfDisney

I wish there were a hug smiley here. I get you and I'm not looking down on anyone for being concerned - because we might have need to be. I know most everyone here knows I'd do everything I could to help out but I'm at a point where I am tired. I did a good run of helping people vaccinate and gave time last summer/fall for the trial. I've tried all I can to help change minds so I need my mental break if that makes sense. I deal with GAD among other things and as my wise 13yo says, we just need to breathe a little. I live for summers, we managed a great trip to WDW in June after we were all vaccinated but indoor masks were required so I felt good. I was completely wrong on the level of increase that occurred after spring break. I mean dead wrong. I expected a small spike and we got a blip if that. Made me realize I'm clueless and need to just have faith in the science.

If I can pick up another or two to vaccinate alone the way too, great ;)
I wish I had gone to Disney for the arts festival - good hotel deals, low crowds, and case number were pretty low.

I’ve rarely been out in the world except when work / life required it. Fortunately I have work coming up in a couple weeks out of town so that will help me “get out” a bit.

Polkadotdress

So interesting side topic. You know how people were so worried about what masks and lockdowns would do to people's health? Apparently, for asthmatics the pandemic life was awesome for controlling attacks.

Asthmatic here! And combined with immunosuppression, I struggle every winter with terrible respiratory struggles, which have in the past landed me in the hospital.

But this year? Nothing.

I attribute much of that to the mask-wearing that I did, and will likely continue to do in public.

Tony the Tigger

The concerning "number" on the report is the total first doses for the week and how it is declining. Granted July 4th weekend was in this so hopefully some of that is due to the Holiday.

I don't understand who is suffering. It is largely the unvaccinated who are getting infected and the vast majority of the seriously ill are unvaccinated. The people not getting vaccinated are letting themselves suffer, not their neighbors. Mutations are not going to have anything to do with the cases in FL. There are countries with barely anybody vaccinated. It doesn't matter if there were 3 cases a day in FL, if a mutation is going to happen, it's going to happen.

The following is from another page in the report. Not that it is shocking, but you can clearly see the higher number of new cases in the age groups with the lower levels of vaccinations (until you get to under 20 where the "youth resistance" seems to start kicking in):

View attachment 570879
Again, unless a high percentage of fully vaccinated people or children under 12 start showing up in the hospital, due to COVID, "the numbers" don't really matter because the people ending up in that situation have chosen not to protect themselves.
So much incorrect information in this post. Please do some research. (And no, I won’t do it for you.)

seascape

I am going to start this post by saying I was wrong before. I never thought we would see numbers like this again. Florida is now up to an as average of 3,392 new cases a day and the US is at 18,272. Why? People need to get vaccinated and continued washing their hands and staying home when sick. These numbers are crazy. Arkansas and Missouri now have an average of over 20 cases a day per 100k and Florida, Louisiana and Nevada are over 15 per 100k. The US is now at 6 per 100k. STOP ACTING STUPID DO THE RIGHT THING AND END THIS. IT IS UP TO ALL OF US. GO TODAY AND GET VACCINATED. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ANYONE EXCEPT THOSE TOLD BY THEIR DOCTORS NOT TO TAKE IT.

havoc315

We will get there eventually. Vaccination isn’t the only way to become immune. If 70% of the total population is vaccinated by the end of 2021 once kids are all approved and if the delta and future variants are as contagious as advertised and they rip through the unvaccinated population that adds to immunity too. It’s not the easy way for sure, but some people need to learn the hard way. The downside to current and future variants being more contagious is it requires a higher level of immunity to reach herd immunity, but the “upside“ (if you want to call it that) is that the more contagious they are the more unvaccinated people become immune faster. 90% immune can come from 80% vaccinated and half the unvaccinated becoming naturally immune or it can come from 70% vaccinated and 2/3 of the unvaccinated becoming naturally immune. Lots of extra suffering and death the second way, but it’s a path.

Ahhh, you’re ever the optimist. But no, it doesn’t work like that. There was a window, where aggressive action was necessary. We may have already missed the window. If not, it’s quickly closing.

Immunity wanes over time. People who were infected by the Wuhan strain in March 2020 likely do not have much immunity to the Delta strain in July 2021. Vaccines provide stronger immunity but it also wanes over time ( Pfizer points to studies showing the need for a booster. FDA/CDC correctly say not necessary YET. But it likely will become beneficial). And as long as there is mass circulation of the disease - more variants pop up, with variants that become more and more resistant to the existing vaccines.

In that way, it does become something like the flu. Something that can be reduced by seasonal vaccines, controlled by treatment and modern medicine. Problem is that Covid is significantly worse than the flu. And it’s becoming more likely that we will be stuck with it for years to come. (Of course, even if the US had been successful, still exploding around the globe. So even full success in the US might only have been a temporary reprieve… but full success could have at least protected us from the delta variant).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom