Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeymiss

Political stunt, yes.

You can reduce spikes by taking some very easy steps. The economy still can be largely open with people going back to work. You need masks anytime you are indoors or where physical distancing isn‘t practical. You need to have bars and restaurants follow physical distancing rules. Spacing tables, no standing room areas, people wearing masks except when seated at their table, capacity limits. More effective testing and tracing helps too. It’s happening a lot of places and it’s pretty successful so far. Some businesses will still suffer and eventually close if they can’t be fully open, but the government needs to do what’s best for the overall economy and the overall public health.

I've always supported a balanced approach especially now that multiple floodgates are open. There's no going back to lockdowns. We're opening but that doesn't mean we can't be safe. My husband and all of his co-workers have stayed covid-free at the hospital he works at this entire time. This hospital is one of two in our biggest city which was deemed the epicenter simply for being the highest population. I sincerely believe precautions work. My mind is overwhelmed with the relentless things happening in the news. I can barely watch anymore. Covid took a considerable back seat and now it's the main headline again. I can't keep up. There are MAJOR credibility issues with the media and our experts which worsens public trust.

I agree with the comments about how the media just wants you to put on a mask, hide in your home and shut up. That's not a solution to anything. That's not based on any science. Nobody in the task force has even been addressing the country at all anymore. Surges are not being investigated for patterns that could potentially help people understand what appears to be the highest risk acitivity. They just want us to hide until a vaccine comes out which we still don't know for sure if it really will. I feel concerned that a vaccine that was supposed to take a minimum of years (plural) to develop is being fast tracked for potential release this year. Not going to lie. What happened to those safety regulations?

Disstevefan1

Actually its more than that. Currently if you travel to FL from NY/NJ/CT you are required to 14 day quarantine, then you can go about your plans but now on the return to your home state of NY/NJ/CT, guess what it's another 14 day quarantine for you upon return.

I did not know if the “from” quarantine was still in effect. This basically eliminates NY/NJ/CT from vacationing at WDW until really both are lifted..... Of course you could lie and tell your employer you are going to a non quarantine state and go to WDW 😀

Also it seems that we are beginning to see the results from the protests. Here in CA officials now cite the protests as a community spread location.
I wouldn’t be surprised, tons of people pressed together and only some wearing masks. That combined with yelling is a sure way to spread droplets. It’s a shame the tough decisions that are needing to be made when in regards to people’s constitutional rights, but we can’t let this spiral out of control. Though I’m concerned we might already have turned a very bad corner is some areas of the US and will just have to ride it out now.

techgeek

This is the problem - it should not be viewed as "getting even" but rather as good epidemic control. Try to minimize people traveling from a contagious area to one that has less contagion.

It should be noted the list of states wasn't drawn up on a whim or by popular vote, they did have criteria in making the decision:

The criteria for the 14 day quarantine: People coming from a state with 10 cases per 100,000 or 10% of the total population positive on a 7-day rolling average.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also it seems that we are beginning to see the results from the protests. Here in CA officials now cite the protests as a community spread location.
Hard to say. Many states in the Northeast and Midwest that have stayed constant or seen steady reductions in cases also had large protests. Minnesota itself is still not seeing spikes. Philly had major protests and so far no major spike in cases. I can’t imagine how those large protests aren’t leading to new cases, but so far it’s not happening across the board. It may be that in some cases protesters were more likely to wear masks. No clue why it’s not across the board increasing.

The Mom

Premium Member
Actually its more than that. Currently if you travel to FL from NY/NJ/CT you are required to 14 day quarantine, then you can go about your plans but now on the return to your home state of NY/NJ/CT, guess what it's another 14 day quarantine for you upon return.

Which has made me decide that I'm not going to travel anywhere out of state - or even some areas in sate - any time soon. But I'm in a high risk group, with most of friends in a high risk group, so I have, and will continue, going out in public using caution. Always asking myself "Is this trip really necessary?"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is the problem - it should not be viewed as "getting even" but rather as good epidemic control. Try to minimize people traveling from a contagious area to one that has less contagion.
Oh I can’t argue with that...

It’s just the typical move from the “land of cynicism”. We stay sane by laughing at ourselves.

But on a serious note: the NJ governor explained it pretty well...paraphrased:
“We fought so hard to reopen...tremendous fatigue, pain and economic loss. Its irresponsible to allow lax restrictions from out of state to jeopardize the reopening”

Its really hard to argue that.

oceanbreeze77

Hard to say. Many states in the Northeast and Midwest that have stayed constant or seen steady reductions in cases also had large protests. Minnesota itself is still not seeing spikes. Philly had major protests and so far no major spike in cases. I can’t imagine how those large protests aren’t leading to new cases, but so far it’s not happening across the board. It may be that in some cases protesters were more likely to wear masks. No clue why it’s not across the board increasing.
It is interesting to see, but these places did good at mitigating the virus, But I think CA cites the protests because places like LA and SF had many more people congregate where things were not yet "in the clear."

mickeymiss

they have , in yesterdays Florida gov. press conference they did exactly that. Most case spread are in social settings and not in bars, resturaunts, parks etc.
What were the examples given of social settings? Parties at home? Did they discuss particular outbreak locations? I could be wrong but I have sensed for a long time that Florida has more elaborate privacy laws than other states. For example, my state will say exactly where outbreaks occur. Even one employee at a restaurant. Also, my state will list locations visited when a person tests positive for measles. Florida does not disclose that info for measles.

My point being, privacy laws could prevent us from knowing that a lot of these cases might be from very specific exposures that created a domino contact tracing effect. I read that California health officials were linking their spikes to street demonstrations. I don't know what's true anymore but it's valid to consider that any massively large gatherings could lead to more infections regardless of the effort of some to be safe about it.

legwand77

One interesting thing developing , still running it down. The data for new cases might be a bit skewed. CDC or some states not sure yet. but each test that is positive is counted as a new case. As an example, say a Covid patient is in the hospital on Remdesivir is tested every day for five days (which they do) gets with five positives, each is counted as a new case. might explain some portion of the discrepancy b/t cases and hospitalizations. Or you have to test negative twice before leaving isolation. Every positive is counted as a new case. So in theory u could test + wait 2 weeks test - then + because of false positive then - but the + would still be counted.

Might not be the case, but a reason that case numbers alone are not a great metric.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Initially, Disney Vacation Club Members and Guests who wanted to modify their existing travel date or make new reservations could book for travel dates after July 1st, 2020. Now, that has been pushed back. Reservations are now available for August 1st, 2020 and later, as provided an update on the Aulani website."

legwand77

What were the examples given of social settings? Parties at home? Did they discuss particular outbreak locations? I could be wrong but I have sensed for a long time that Florida has more elaborate privacy laws than other states. For example, my state will say exactly where outbreaks occur. Even one employee at a restaurant. Also, my state will list locations visited when a person tests positive for measles. Florida does not disclose that info for measles.

My point being, privacy laws could prevent us from knowing that a lot of these cases might be from very specific exposures that created a domino contact tracing effect. I read that California health officials were linking their spikes to street demonstrations. I don't know what's true anymore but it's valid to considerar that any massively large gathering could lead to more infections regardless of the effort of some to be safe about it.

Yes, home gatherings, pool parties and said explicitly that it is not in commercial businesses for the majority of case spread.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There go my plans to visit the Smokey Mountains in August instead of WDW. I guess I’ll start looking at cabin rentals on the TN side since NC is on that list now ;)

These travel bans were always a political stunt. People got annoyed when I said that back in April when FL started this and it still applies today. There are counties in western NC where there have only been 40 cases all time but someone from there has to quarantine 14 days if they visit a county in upstate NY which also has only had 40 cases all time.
I'll be in Pigeon Forge starting August 16, I'll meet you for a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom