Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

My boss lives in NJ and has a house booked in central FL in August in one of those communities with a pool. He ruled out taking the kids to a theme park already but was planning to still go and just hang at the house and pool. This will almost certainly result in a cancel now. He won’t want to have to quarantine for 14 days and it was the end of August so his kids wouldn’t be able to start school. Not a good development for the tourism industry.
If he goes to Central Florida late August, that's peak hurricane season. Things run out very fast, gasoline, food, etc .

legwand77

Still don't think this affects WDW yet, the majority of the community spread that is occuring now is social settings, parties, at home, when people relax their social distancing etc. not at businesses, restaurants and parks which have social distancing standards in place.

3BratsToDisney

There go my plans to visit the Smokey Mountains in August instead of WDW. I guess I’ll start looking at cabin rentals on the TN side since NC is on that list now ;)

These travel bans were always a political stunt. People got annoyed when I said that back in April when FL started this and it still applies today. There are counties in western NC where there have only been 40 cases all time but someone from there has to quarantine 14 days if they visit a county in upstate NY which also has only had 40 cases all time.

It sure is a political stunt from both sides. And your plans/money is being held hostage for their games. I'm not saying this virus is not serious and we should all be cautious, but it's here to stay for awhile. You can't stop spikes, you can't erradicate it (yet). The one advice all these experts should be giving is take care of your health and body. Eat right, exercise, get some of that sunshine. Promote healthy habits so you can better fight off a virus like Covid. Instead you just get told mask up/hide in your hole.

mickeymiss

Why can't officials discuss or explain what they think is driving the surge? Bars could easily be the common link which would mean we don't have to thwart safe re-opening plans. There could be so many nuances and I feel like we are never getting the whole picture. Just fear fear fear. Why can't the dialogue be more expansive? My state is low in overall cases but the relative "surges" have come from specific circumstances (i.e., manufacturing, nursing homes). Who is getting infected in Florida? What are the patterns other than a younger age? When did bars open, by the way? Why aren't we seeing this in other states that opened bars?

Rider

Why can't officials discuss or explain what they think is driving the surge? Bars could easily be the common link which would mean we don't have to thwart safe re-opening plans. There could be so many nuance and I feel like we are never getting the whole picture. Just fear fear fear. Why can't the dialogue be more expansive? My state is low in overall cases but the relative "surges" have come from specific circumstances (i.e., manufacturing, nursing homes). Who is getting infected in Florida? What are the patterns other than a younger age? When did bars open, by the way? Why aren't we seeing this in other states that opened bars?
In nearby Mississippi their Health Officer was pretty blunt recently:

And the big note about what he thinks is coming:

disneygeek90

Why can't officials discuss or explain what they think is driving the surge? Bars could easily be the common link which would mean we don't have to thwart safe re-opening plans. There could be so many nuances and I feel like we are never getting the whole picture. Just fear fear fear. Why can't the dialogue be more expansive? My state is low in overall cases but the relative "surges" have come from specific circumstances (i.e., manufacturing, nursing homes). Who is getting infected in Florida? What are the patterns other than a younger age? When did bars open, by the way? Why aren't we seeing this in other states that opened bars?
Bars were allowed to open on June 5. I'd guess they're a large part of the problem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It sure is a political stunt from both sides. And your plans/money is being held hostage for their games. I'm not saying this virus is not serious and we should all be cautious, but it's here to stay for awhile. You can't stop spikes, you can't erradicate it (yet). The one advice all these experts should be giving is take care of your health and body. Eat right, exercise, get some of that sunshine. Promote healthy habits so you can better fight off a virus like Covid. Instead you just get told mask up/hide in your hole.
Political stunt, yes.

You can reduce spikes by taking some very easy steps. The economy still can be largely open with people going back to work. You need masks anytime you are indoors or where physical distancing isn‘t practical. You need to have bars and restaurants follow physical distancing rules. Spacing tables, no standing room areas, people wearing masks except when seated at their table, capacity limits. More effective testing and tracing helps too. It’s happening a lot of places and it’s pretty successful so far. Some businesses will still suffer and eventually close if they can’t be fully open, but the government needs to do what’s best for the overall economy and the overall public health.

3BratsToDisney

Then why have so many done so much better at mitigating them?

I should of clarified that as COMPLETELY stop all spikes. I can think of a few reasons...for starters there are always people who will refuse to abide by the 'rules' (ex: not wearing a mask/social distance) there are even people despite all the warnings don't practice good hygeine. gross right? You also have irresponsible selfish people that go out in public being sick anyway. A number of different scenarios can cause a spike. Can spikes be maintained? Sure but I have my doubts they can all be completely stopped for good, and not anytime soon. We in this for the long haul.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMHO it’s not just bars opening, it’s bars opening without masks or physical distancing. People acting like the virus never existed. You can open a bar and have employees follow social distancing, groups of customers spaced 6 feet apart at tables or the bar and no mob on the dance floor. People can still have a few drinks or a meal and have a good time. It is happening other places, but the government and the people need to buy in.

Edit: if they find a way to control some of the problem areas that helps a business like WDW who is trying to follow guidlines.

DisneyCane

Then why have so many done so much better at mitigating them?
Possibly because Florida really didn't have a spike until now. There was a ramp up at the beginning that pretty much just followed testing capacity and then the curve sat flat for 2 1/2 months.

For the places that had true spikes in the first place like NY, I don't discount some level of herd immunity coming into play now. Especially in the NYC metro area. Not enough people were infected to get true herd immunity where the virus dies out but a high enough percentage were that having so many people immune is keeping the spread slowed as they reopen.

With so few already infected in Florida (under 5% based on antibody testing), it is ripe for easy spread if people don't diligently social distance. It appears that the 18-34 demographic is not being diligent at all right now.

lazyboy97o

I should of clarified that as COMPLETELY stop all spikes. I can think of a few reasons...for starters there are always people who will refuse to abide by the 'rules' (ex: not wearing a mask/social distance) there are even people despite all the warnings don't practice good hygeine. gross right? You also have irresponsible selfish people that go out in public being sick anyway. A number of different scenarios can cause a spike. Can spikes be maintained? Sure but I have my doubts they can all be completely stopped for good, and not anytime soon. We in this for the long haul.
But again, look at other places where even spikes are still part of a larger downward trend. They’re not a huge record setting spike. We!re not even talking about a few choice anomalies anymore, but most other places in the developed world.

DisneyCane

there are even people despite all the warnings don't practice good hygeine. gross right?

Even with this pandemic going on and the focus on hygiene, I have seen people come out of a men's room stall, and not even glance towards the sink.

Also, just a general note to food service employees. Wearing gloves doesn't accomplish anything if you grab all over them with your dirty hands before putting them on. Additionally, when you prepare food and act as the cashier, wearing the gloves through the cashier part of your job and then keeping them on to prep food is also defeating the purpose.

Chomama

Be
What is this weird fascination that people have with trying to take down the world's leading expert on this?

Are people about to start trying to pick apart his online posting history? His eating habits?

Can we stick to the subject matter of let's say Pandemic?
cause if he is considered an invalid resource then they can continue with magical thinking that everything is fine. Im serious

legwand77

they have , in yesterdays Florida gov. press conference they did exactly that. Most case spread are in social settings and not in bars, resturaunts, parks etc.

legwand77

Be

cause if he is considered an invalid resource then they can continue with magical thinking that everything is fine. Im serious
I think Fauci's is an expert on it but his flip floppping or appeared flip flopping on many issues around the virus hasn't helped him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom