Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Either way, I think we as people should be able to make our own decisions on if we want to go out or not (or run businesses, or let a company operate a theme park IF THEY WANT TO), bc as you said, we are NOT going to convince the people that think it is is safe, that it is NOT safe and vice versa.

I agree with your points, and I think that is why school decisions for the fall are going to be difficult. It's quite easy to lay out the risks for a theme park (or restaurant, church, movie theater, etc.) and people can choose whether to go or not. It's harder for school where attendence is mandatory. If 90% felt it was safe to open schools, but 10% did not feel the risks were justified, is it okay to override their wishes? the answer might be yes, but that's a tough decision to make.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It absolutely matters. How is this any different vs how mobile somebody could be between say, NJ and DE or VT and CT? Miami is 4 hours away from me. I have friends there and trust me, they don’t just hop over to Orlando for the sake of doing so or to visit a theme park. Nor do we on a whim decide to run down to Miami. Are there some that do? Sure. But it’s far and few between. And with things being worse down there, just about everyone I know in central Florida has zero interest it visiting south FL at the moment. Of course this is all IMO 😁
I don’t know. If Miami keeps bars closed and they are open in the rest of Florida people will travel. I went to college in PA 45 mins from the NJ border. We did plenty of liquor runs on a Sunday because the Wine and Spirits in PA was closed on Sunday but NJ stores were open. WDW is not a locals attraction at all. There’s no way to say people from more impacted parts of the state will just stay home. That’s not going to happen.

On the theme park front I know numerous people up here in the Northeast who have relatives in the Miami area and when they visit them they almost always make a trip to WDW. It’s a drive but not a significant one. We have Hershey Park over here in PA and on any summer day half the hotel parking lots have cars with NY plates even though the closest part of NY is 4 hours away. Most people think nothing of driving 4 hours for a vacation, especially if they stay over. One of the biggest demographic groups for DVC is Florida residents. Not necessarily central FL. People who visit regularly because it’s a reasonable drive and get good AP discounts. I think you are grossly underestimating the number of people from the Miami area who will visit WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While I don’t disagree, that was not the norm before the pandemic. People could certainly be looking for something fun to do though after being in quarantine for this long so we shall see. I have lots of friends in South Florida and they seem to visit the theme parks once every 4-5 years., if at all.

It’s seriously no different then somebody in a quarantine area in PA driving to the now-open Jersey shore. A few here and there will certainly do it regardless of the rules or threat but hopefully it’s not enough to make a big difference.

My original point is that I suspect the numbers are still going down as required to enter phase 2 with exception of the counties that were excluded. Hopefully this doesn’t impact the overall numbers in our state.
Do your friends have kids? I think for young adults without kids it may be a less frequent thing. There’s much more to do in Miami that would interest that group. For families I think it’s a lot more popular. I can give you at least a dozen examples from Jan-Mar of kids from my kid‘s school in PA who went to the Miami area to visit grandparents and they almost all did a few days at WDW.

The Jersey Shore will be filled with people from Philly and the suburbs in the Southern towns and NYC and the suburbs in Northern towns. It’s happening right now. It’s an absolute breading ground for a resurgence of cases. The only positive is so far only the outdoor stuff is open. If they open bars and clubs it’s going to be a huge problem.

rowrbazzle

Exactly ZERO cases came out of that Lake of the Ozarks party that had everyone in an uproar.

Wow, that's crazy (and good news).

I read some time back about the possibility that spread would slow as we got past the initial phases. The rationale was that the most at-risk people would get infected at the beginning. As the virus "moved through" those people there would be fewer in the susceptible population and more in the potentially less at-risk population. Or something along those lines. I thought it was interesting. I wish I could find the article. There was also the news posted earlier about doctors in Italy finding lower viral loads in recent patients. Regardless, it's interesting.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That person had the virus before the party, he didn't catch it AT the party.

The fact that there was a confirmed case at the party yet no new cases coming out of the party kind of reinforces my point.

There was a case that was reported almost immediately. Beyond that, no one is admitting they attended that party after the story went viral.
You're either misinformed or lying. I'll assume the former. The case predated the party.

rowrbazzle

I'd seen that. When I googled there were a number of articles stating the same as the previous poster. I think the distinction is that there haven't been any new cases. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/health-official-covid-19-cases-missouri-parties-71069249 That guy already had it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

mpostak

That person had the virus before the party, he didn't catch it AT the party.

The fact that there was a confirmed case at the party yet no new cases coming out of the party kind of reinforces my point.

You're either misinformed or lying. I'll assume the former. The case predated the party.
From what I read, someone who ended up being positive for covid attended the party. reports state that 'to their knowledge' no other covid cases have been tracked back to the party. No need to call each other liars. To one point, there is nothing stating all partiers were tested and came back negative, so there could be potential positive cases that are asymptomatic and/or have not been tested, but I do also agree it is encouraging that a huge spike of cases has not yet occured for that group (and hopefully it remains that way)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t know. If Miami keeps bars closed and they are open in the rest of Florida people will travel. I went to college in PA 45 mins from the NJ border. We did plenty of liquor runs on a Sunday because the Wine and Spirits in PA was closed on Sunday but NJ stores were open. WDW is not a locals attraction at all. There’s no way to say people from more impacted parts of the state will just stay home. That’s not going to happen.

On the theme park front I know numerous people up here in the Northeast who have relatives in the Miami area and when they visit them they almost always make a trip to WDW. It’s a drive but not a significant one. We have Hershey Park over here in PA and on any summer day half the hotel parking lots have cars with NY plates even though the closest part of NY is 4 hours away. Most people think nothing of driving 4 hours for a vacation, especially if they stay over. One of the biggest demographic groups for DVC is Florida residents. Not necessarily central FL. People who visit regularly because it’s a reasonable drive and get good AP discounts. I think you are grossly underestimating the number of people from the Miami area who will visit WDW.
Lol...we did runs from Centre County to Maryland to get grain alcohol 😂

rowrbazzle

Stop it. You are ruining a good narrative with your logic. :)

I think that's unfair. When I read what CaptainAmerica posted I didn't believe it. It's what health officials are reporting, though. It's been almost two weeks since Memorial Day, which is enough time for some folks to present symptoms. I'm surprised, but it's good news if it holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom