Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That slow steady pace has been trampled on by mass gatherings nationwide, and even in other parts of the world.
That pool party was a just a drop of water in an endless sea by comparison.
I'm interested to see if case numbers spike in the next couple of weeks.
I don’t disagree. It was disappointing to see just how little will power so many people have. We are an instant gratification society so not that surprising. I don’t necessarily think we will see some large obvious spike in a week or 2. It could be more of a longer time line. It took weeks to ramp up the initial wave. A second wave won’t start instantly. There’s also a good chance that there isn’t an immediate second wave. The point of going slow was supposed to be that we ease into it then assess the impact and if there’s no bad outcome then open the faucet a little more. This way if there is a bad outcome the damage is more limited. The problem as I saw it was everyone has their “important thing” that they wanted to be included in initial phase so when it wasn’t they just went and did it anyway. It’s not the end of the world, but we’re playing without a met now. If there’s a bad outcome there’s no stooping the damage now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For how long should we forgo life, exactly? Because it’s more than just parties people are being required to forgo. A lot more.

Until the infection rate drops low enough, by whatever means, they we can be sure we can stay ahead of it an contain/prevent big spikes in cases. I am not saying we all need to stay locked in our houses 24/7, but on the other hand we cannot go back to complete normal, there is going to have to be something in between. I think opening retail with sensible precautions is ok, but I think it is going to be a long time before we see mass gathering like sporting events and concerts come back.

DisneyDebRob

I don’t disagree. It was disappointing to see just how little will power so many people have. We are an instant gratification society so not that surprising. I don’t necessarily think we will see some large obvious spike in a week or 2. It could be more of a longer time line. It took weeks to ramp up the initial wave. A second wave won’t start instantly. There’s also a good chance that there isn’t an immediate second wave. The point of going slow was supposed to be that we ease into it then assess the impact and if there’s no bad outcome then open the faucet a little more. This way if there is a bad outcome the damage is more limited. The problem as I saw it was everyone has their “important thing” that they wanted to be included in initial phase so when it wasn’t they just went and did it anyway. It’s not the end of the world, but we’re playing without a met now. If there’s a bad outcome there’s no stooping the damage now.
With everything going on now across our country, it almost feels like the virus is on the back burner.. or almost gone. With upwards of 15 states increasing, including Florida, and a few not moving, let’s hope we realize it’s still here. I know some states are trending down which is good. Let’s also hope they continue.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I like to compare this to WWII. People who had to stay home were also asked to sacrifice a lot for the war effort, food rationing, curfews, travel restrictions, not to mention having to wonder everyday if their loved ones overseas were alive or dead. They had to deal with that for a couple years, we have only been dealing with this for three months.

Incomudro

Why does “how long” matter? Are you disadvantaged/underprivileged?

What???
Why does it matter?
Have you seen what has happened to people's livelihoods?
It's also highly likely that the violence of the past couple weeks erupted in part because younger people have had no outlet for 2 and half months.
Two and a half months of virtual solitary confinement.
No school.
No sports.
No friends to visit.
No other family members to visit.
No movies.
No bars.
No restaurants.
No holidays as in Easter.
No museums.
No parks.
No beaches.
Nothing except staying home and watching social media, tv, and the internet.

Incomudro

I like to compare this to WWII. People who had to stay home were also asked to sacrifice a lot for the war effort, food rationing, curfews, travel restrictions, not to mention having to wonder everyday if their loved ones overseas were alive or dead. They had to deal with that for a couple years, we have only been dealing with this for three months.

See my post above.
In during WW2, life for people here in the US still included everything on my list.
People could go out.
Dance, drink, attend movies, theater...

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What???
Why does it matter?
It's also highly likely that the violence of the past couple weeks erupted in part because younger people have had no outlet for 2 and half months.
No school.
No sports.
No friends to visit.
No movies.
No bars.
No restaurants.
No museums.
No parks.
No beaches.
None of that really affects the need of big pool parties...

And the response was correct to shut it down and “flatten the curve”...just like Dr. F said...it has worked. You didn’t want to hear it 2 months ago...and you still don’t want to hear it now. The posts here form a historical record.

Last edited:

mousefan1972

What???
Why does it matter?
No school.
No sports.
No friends to visit.
No movies.
No bars.
No restaurants.
No museums.
No parks.
No beaches.
Exactly.

robhedin

The difference is that with WW2 there was a visible *reason* why people needed to sacrifice-- they knew their son, father, brother were not at home and in danger; they may not hear from them for extended periods of time; the news talked about the amount of devastation occurring and people could *see* it with their own eyes: Dresden burning, London in flames, ships and convoys being attacked off the coast of the US...

Contrast that with CV... less than 2M confirmed cases in the US out of a population of 330M... that means only 0.6% of people *know* they've had it. Of those around 500k have recovered, and 110k have died. Given that it disproportionally affects the elderly and you have a LOT of people who don't see a massive direct impact to them -- other than the loss of their jobs. Instead they see hospital ships going unused and emergency hospitals built out and then taken down unused. They see their leaders talk about massive deaths and then always revising them down. They see businesses that have been around forever being closed permanently. None of this is conducive to driving long term "sacrifice".

DisneyDebRob

The difference is that with WW2 there was a visible *reason* why people needed to sacrifice-- they knew their son, father, brother were not at home and in danger; they may not hear from them for extended periods of time; the news talked about the amount of devastation occurring and people could *see* it with their own eyes: Dresden burning, London in flames, ships and convoys being attacked off the coast of the US...

Contrast that with CV... less than 2M confirmed cases in the US out of a population of 330M... that means only 0.6% of people *know* they've had it. Of those around 500k have recovered, and 110k have died. Given that it disproportionally affects the elderly and you have a LOT of people who don't see a massive direct impact to them -- other than the loss of their jobs. Instead they see hospital ships going unused and emergency hospitals built out and then taken down unused. They see their leaders talk about massive deaths and then always revising them down. They see businesses that have been around forever being closed permanently. None of this is conducive to driving long term "sacrifice".
It really is funny how the talking points have changed and not changed at the same time. I can remember the same argument not to long ago with “ only 50,000 cases and a few thousand dead”. Just adjust the numbers and keep the same argument.
I do agree with one point you make.. people can’t see this with their own eyes which IMO makes it to them no big deal.
I’m glad the hospital ships and emergency hospitals being built went empty. That means social distancing helped and came a little late but it worked and is working.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I honestly don't know which is worse at this point, places that are starting to relax their guidelines too soon, or those that are taking an extremely long time to do so.

The answer is dependent of many factors like data, infrastructure, population, etc. In my country, there'll be 4 reopening phases and we haven't even entered the first one. Our positive cases have been on the rise for the last week, businesses (and jobs) are dropping like flies.

I keep hoping that we'll be able to get back to some normalcy soon.

Incomudro

This is true.
And had covid19 wrought the devastation here in the US that we thought it might, had we seen overflowing hospitals, full tent cities, death everywhere the people would have a collective grasp of an enemy that must be defeated.
But it didn't happen.
Granted, it's quite possible that it didn't happen because of our efforts.
Or... Perhaps that's not why it didn't happen.
Covid19 became a phantom enemy, one that was immediately abandoned when young people found another enemy to rally against.

Kevin_W

CDC just lowered the death rate again to .2%. Fausi announced again that masks won't prevent spread. Also said they screwed up their numbers and are adjusting accordingly.

Wow.

What? Fauci said pretty much the opposite of that. All the news today was of new studies that show masks work.

Fauci said he thought people not wearing masks would definitely increase the spread. I suppose in some twisted way you could read him as saying that masks won't prevent the spread (if people refuse to wear them).

monykalyn

Assuming the people who got sick present symptoms and are also honest about where they went. My guess is a lot of the people who attended that event are firmly in the this whole thing is an overreaction or this is just the flu or it only impacts old or sick people camp. They aren’t as likely to admit where they went if they do get sick.
That’s an awful lot of assumptions!!
Estimated 10,000 people at the lake that weekend. An awful lot of people to call stupid so can we just stop it now? The owners of that particular bar gave the option of his staff to work or not. They had a choice - many were probably VERY relieved to be making money, considering tourist season is already shortened.. Also an awful lot of people to hide symptoms or contact tracing. Maybe- just maybe- virus is burning itself out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fausi announced again that masks won't prevent spread.

Would like to see your source on that one.

1591410869652.png

rle4lunch

What? Fauci said pretty much the opposite of that. All the news today was of new studies that show masks work.

Fauci said he thought people not wearing masks would definitely increase the spread. I suppose in some twisted way you could read him as saying that masks won't prevent the spread (if people refuse to wear them).

Not really. He said they're effective only if you're in constant close contact, but adhering to social distancing works best. I work in government and recieved new guidance today that masks are not recommended as per CDO guidelines. I'm also my workplace return to work point of contact for all relevant guidance and procedures, so i have to dig into the continuous changing guidelines weekly, which is just ridiculous. Lastly, my whole family contracted covid early Feb, I know how it feels and an not discounting the virus, just the response.

rle4lunch

Would like to see your source on that one.

View attachment 474812

They're only effective if you're in constant close quarter with an infected person. Unfortunately I have to stay updated on osha and cdc guidance daily since my work made me the poc for return to work guidance. Nice collateral duty they gave me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom