Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Analyst

So if I’m reading this right it’s sorta like the Maxpass FastPass at DLR where you reserve online. The difference is the availability gets released hourly as opposed to all at once. So in theory each hour you would book 1 standby pass and then use it and then wait for the next hour for the next batch to drop. Seems reasonable. In a 10 hour park day that guarantees at least 9 rides assuming you don’t get completely shut out.

Sort of what Universal was doing today. They released VQ slots every 15-30 minutes I believe. They also allowed you to book two at a time, so if Disney is kind, they'll allow you to hold two at once, and when you use one you can book your next as they become available.

Chi84

Premium Member
I daresay..in way, Covid-19 changes everything. And nothing.

Right now, WDW is in the process of cancelling any existing dining reservations that were made prior to shutdown, plus reservations for tours, special events and the DDP, so the topics are relevant today. For reference, 180 days before March 16 would cover anyone planning to arrive on or before September 18th = just about the entire summer season.

Still, I'm sorry if I contributed to any perceived off-topic-ness.

I confess, for a moment though, it felt great to think about and address a normal WDW discussion topic. That FP+ and dining came into this tread at all is perhaps a small sign of hope.

sigh.
The part of my comment you quoted wasn’t a complaint - it was a setup for a joke. I’m apparently incapable of learning . . .

brianstl

I've mentioned that before, but was told that the rate of positives was the number to watch. Which really wasn't going down in a meaningful way, but as long as it was a tiny bit less than two weeks ago, then it counts.

I'm watching it go up now.
It is rate of positives for a two week Reporting period not a one week period. The last two week period was slightly lower than the previous two week period. That said, it was the smallest drop in the rate of positives in a long time for the two week reporting periods

tirian

First FP+ and now the dining plan. If we’re holding a contest to see how many hot button topics we can add to this thread, my entry is security room checks. We can disguise it as a Covid-19 topic by speculating how dangerous it is to have Disney personnel come into the room of someone who could be infected.
Yeah, I’m sorry for contributing to the off-topic talk too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The other major cruise lines have dozens of ships and capacity that far outstrips demand. They also don't offer anything terribly compelling to differentiate themselves from each other. DCL, on the other hand. has four ships (with 3 more on the way this decade, assuming they are not delayed or cancelled due to COVID-19), vastly more demand than supply, access to the Disney brand and collection of characters and IP that have deep psychological effects on their customers, and a well-earned reputation for customer service and family-friendly entertainment. They only rarely discount cruises because they simply don't need to - they sell out nearly every cruise no matter what they charge, so why lower prices? Heck, my wife will tell you that the dining CMs cutting our daughter's steak for her (so DW and I could eat our own dinners while it was still hot) is worth a $1000 premium on its own, and she's only partly kidding.
Yeah...I’m gonna close off this “tangent street” right here...

But I will agree (sort of) with two concepts:
1. For small ships limited supply and keeps the prices up
2. People pay for the “D”

...we can get into the nuts and bolts beyond that another time.

wishiwere@wdw

Because numbers have been going down for the past 14 days as per the Federal guidelines?

Rate of positives...

View attachment 474329

View attachment 474330

As well as absolute numbers?...

View attachment 474331
While I appreciate and get the point, the data isn’t as relevant without a breakdown as to where. I’m tired so I didn’t dig but I’d suspect there are challenges still in South Florida and those counties are still in early phase 1.

I’ll try tracking it down in the morning if I have time as I’d be really curious to know.

disneygeek90

This is very good news if your Disney then. Waiting is paying off.
Look, I get people want Disney to go back to “normal” as soon as possible, but it’s not happening. Disney is doing what they think is right, not based on the intangible “phases” declared by the governor. If Disney (and Universal... and Sea World) had been following along with only government requirements, there wouldn’t be a mask policy. The theme park is simply it’s own animal.

Orange County saw its largest spike today in well over a month, nearly 3 times the average over the past 30 days. The numbers are going to continue to increase as more tourists arrive. Physical distancing, and everything that goes along with it, is going to be even more critical as people start attending the parks regardless of Florida’s designated “phase.”

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I appreciate and get the point, the data isn’t as relevant without a breakdown as to where. I’m tired so I didn’t dig but I’d suspect there are challenges still in South Florida and those counties are still in early phase 1.

I’ll try tracking it down in the morning if I have time as I’d be really curious to know.

Breakdown, as in some counties are worse than others in Florida? Because, does that really matter when people are so mobile? And Orlando draws in people from all over Florida?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Look, I get people want Disney to go back to “normal” as soon as possible, but it’s not happening. Disney is doing what they think is right, not based on the intangible “phases” declared by the governor. If Disney (and Universal... and Sea World) had been following along with only government requirements, there wouldn’t be a mask policy. The theme park is simply it’s own animal.

Orange County saw its largest spike today in well over a month, nearly 3 times the average over the past 30 days. The numbers are going to continue to increase as more tourists arrive. Physical distancing, and everything that goes along with it, is going to be even more critical as people start attending the parks regardless of Florida’s designated “phase.”
I’m gonna have to reject the “see! Disney was wise to wait and knew what they’re doing/will rewarded!” Take as well...

I don’t think that’s the case at all. I think they don’t know what to do...don’t like it...and are scared to death of what you’re describing above.

wishiwere@wdw

Breakdown, as in some counties are worse than others in Florida? Because, does that really matter when people are so mobile? And Orlando draws in people from all over Florida?
It absolutely matters. How is this any different vs how mobile somebody could be between say, NJ and DE or VT and CT? Miami is 4 hours away from me. I have friends there and trust me, they don’t just hop over to Orlando for the sake of doing so or to visit a theme park. Nor do we on a whim decide to run down to Miami. Are there some that do? Sure. But it’s far and few between. And with things being worse down there, just about everyone I know in central Florida has zero interest it visiting south FL at the moment. Of course this is all IMO 😁

Lilofan

It absolutely matters. How is this any different vs how mobile somebody could be between say, NJ and DE or VT and CT? Miami is 4 hours away from me. I have friends there and trust me, they don’t just hop over to Orlando for the sake of doing so or to visit a theme park. Nor do we on a whim decide to run down to Miami. Are there some that do? Sure. But it’s far and few between. And with things being worse down there, just about everyone I know in central Florida has zero interest it visiting south FL at the moment. Of course this is all IMO 😁
When Universal and Sea World open next week it's possible many from South Florida going to be visiting Central Florida.

wishiwere@wdw

When Universal and Sea World open next week it's possible many from South Florida going to be visiting Central Florida.
While I don’t disagree, that was not the norm before the pandemic. People could certainly be looking for something fun to do though after being in quarantine for this long so we shall see. I have lots of friends in South Florida and they seem to visit the theme parks once every 4-5 years., if at all.

It’s seriously no different then somebody in a quarantine area in PA driving to the now-open Jersey shore. A few here and there will certainly do it regardless of the rules or threat but hopefully it’s not enough to make a big difference.

My original point is that I suspect the numbers are still going down as required to enter phase 2 with exception of the counties that were excluded. Hopefully this doesn’t impact the overall numbers in our state.

disneygeek90

While I don’t disagree, that was not the norm before the pandemic. People could certainly be looking for something fun to do though after being in quarantine for this long so we shall see. I have lots of friends in South Florida and they seem to visit the theme parks once every 4-5 years., if at all.

It’s seriously no different then somebody in a quarantine area in PA driving to the now-open Jersey shore. A few here and there will certainly do it regardless of the rules or threat but hopefully it’s not enough to make a big difference.

My original point is that I suspect the numbers are still going down as required to enter phase 2 with exception of the counties that were excluded. Hopefully this doesn’t impact the overall numbers in our state.
I talked to a server at Paddlefish last weekend and he told me he waited on guests on Friday that drove from West Palm just for Disney Springs. It definitely is and will happen, maybe even more so than normal because they’ve been stuck at home for months and still have limited options currently open.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, then, you'll have to remove all the rural counties as far away which have a much lower amount of cases, which would then raise the infection rate.

Be careful of finding reasons to exclude data that doesn't fit what you'd like or hope it to be. That doesn't lead to an objective reflection of reality.

tirian

In other news, today’s Micechat update from Dave Koenig — a well-known, independent theme park author and insider — kind of confirms the rumors that Disneyland didn’t have as much maintenance as WDW during the COVID-19 closures. He doesn’t mention pest infestations or anything like that, but he does say that parts of the park haven’t had any humans whatsoever for weeks and need to be completely disinfected. That’s enough to assume pests could be a real problem.

This corresponds with the general rumors saying whereas Florida laws allowed WDW to keep skeleton crews for general maintenance and pest control, California essentially shut down DL.

disneygeek90

Florida numbers. Hmmm....
Capture.PNG

Lilofan

I talked to a server at Paddlefish last weekend and he told me he waited on guests on Friday that drove from West Palm just for Disney Springs. It definitely is and will happen, maybe even more so than normal because they’ve been stuck at home for months and still have limited options currently open.
South Florida is more restrictive so I agree it's going be be people driving up the FL turnpike or I-95 to WDW and Central Florida.

Last edited:

Rider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom