Coranavirus Disneyland General Discussion

PiratesMansion

Not sure about that, but even the CDC has said that at best masks reduce transmission by 1.8%, that is less than 2% and yet, masks have been demonstrated to cause long term health problems for many people and yes, even killed people.
Please produce evidence of this statistic or I will assume it is nonsense. This would seemingly contradict months of consistent public health data, and if that's the case, we all should see it with our own eyes.

Last edited:

fctiger

OK thinking about it a little more, there might be fear of the hospitals filling up again and all of that and just trying to ease the health care system as much as possible. So IF that's the case, OK, I understand that. But again, how long are we suppose to do this?

cmwade77

Please produce evidence of this statistic or I will assume it is nonsense.
Interestingly, it is in an article talking about how numbers were distorted, but if you look at the take away, the best case is 1.8% and that was after 81-100 days after a mask mandate was implemented:

cmwade77

OK thinking about it a little more, there might be fear of the hospitals filling up again and all of that and just trying to ease the health care system as much as possible. So IF that's the case, OK, I understand that. But again, how long are we suppose to do this?
It is a fair concern, but we should simply be watching hospital availability and if it drops below say 10% (with all expanded capacity in place), then we should take additional steps, but honestly it is highly unlikely to reach that point again.

PiratesMansion

Interestingly, it is in an article talking about how numbers were distorted, but if you look at the take away, the best case is 1.8% and that was after 81-100 days after a mask mandate was implemented:
Except what you claimed above is not what the article actually says.

This is what it says:
"A story published by One America News Network, a conservative cable channel, on March 7, falsely claimed the CDC “has admitted face masks do little to prevent the spread” of the virus and that the numbers in the study “didn’t exceed statistical margins of error.” The story has been seen by over 230,000 users on Facebook.

A CDC spokesperson told us that’s not correct.

“The data we now have conclusively show that widespread use of masks is a very effective way to reduce the spread of COVID-19,” said CDC’s Jasmine Reed in an email. “The CDC study referenced noted that mask mandates were associated with statistically significant decreases in county-level daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates.”'

"The new study cites and builds upon previous studies that have confirmed the effectiveness of mask mandates and restaurant closures in reducing COVID-19 outcomes."

There are additional findings on that same page that further support what basically every reputable news source is saying.

It says nothing about negative long-term health effects from mask wearing. In fact, since it is more likely to prevent the spread of covid, it is theoretically more likely to keep the mask wearer alive since they are more likely to not get covid.

But as the fact checking you provided specifically cites One America News Network and Fox News as spreading incorrect information about the effectiveness of mask wearing, thank you for unintentionally proving my point above that the information delivered has often been slanted along partisan lines!

October82

The study found that mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease in daily COVID-19 case growth rates within the first 20 days. The reductions in growth rates increased with time, reaching 1.1, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.8 percentage points within 21 to 40, 41 to 60, 61 to 80, and 81 to 100 days, respectively, after implementation.
On March 6, Fox News’ Laura Ingraham tweeted that the study found mask mandates and restaurant restrictions “have a small impact” on COVID-19 cases and deaths. Later that day, an unreliable Twitter account called Breaking911 created a tweet thread about the new study, falsely claiming that it found “mask mandates lower COVID cases by around 1.5% over a two month period.”

But as we already explained, the study is not showing a decrease in the number of cases and deaths but a decrease in the growth rate of the daily cases and deaths.

“Because the growth rate is exponential,” the impact compounds, José Luis Jiménez, an analytical and atmospheric chemist at the University of Colorado Boulder who was not involved in the study, told us. “So, it’s kind of like your mortgage — you change your interest a little bit, and then you save a ton of money. Because the cases compound.”
“Because the growth rate is exponential,” the impact compounds, José Luis Jiménez, an analytical and atmospheric chemist at the University of Colorado Boulder who was not involved in the study, told us. “So, it’s kind of like your mortgage — you change your interest a little bit, and then you save a ton of money. Because the cases compound.”

The authors of the study did not respond to an interview request from FactCheck.org. But the CDC’s Gery P. Guy Jr., the lead author, told the Associated Press that although those changes in daily growth rates may sound small, they quickly add up.

“Each day that growth rate is going down, the cumulative effect — in terms of cases and deaths — adds up to be quite substantial,” Guy told the AP.

For example, if cases were growing at 5% per day and that growth rate dropped to 3.5% per day, the total number of cases could shrink substantially, particularly over time.

Vermund told FactCheck.org since the results show changes in the daily growth rate they are “much more impressive” than they may appear.

“This is actually quite a large effect, the opposite of what the scurrilous journalist said,” Vermund told us, referring to the OAN story.

cmwade77

Except what you claimed above is not what the article actually says.

This is what it says:
"A story published by One America News Network, a conservative cable channel, on March 7, falsely claimed the CDC “has admitted face masks do little to prevent the spread” of the virus and that the numbers in the study “didn’t exceed statistical margins of error.” The story has been seen by over 230,000 users on Facebook.

A CDC spokesperson told us that’s not correct.

“The data we now have conclusively show that widespread use of masks is a very effective way to reduce the spread of COVID-19,” said CDC’s Jasmine Reed in an email. “The CDC study referenced noted that mask mandates were associated with statistically significant decreases in county-level daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates.”'

"The new study cites and builds upon previous studies that have confirmed the effectiveness of mask mandates and restaurant closures in reducing COVID-19 outcomes."

There are additional findings on that same page that further support what basically every reputable news source is saying.

It says nothing about negative long-term health effects from mask wearing. In fact, since it is more likely to prevent the spread of covid, it is theoretically more likely to keep the mask wearer alive since they are more likely to not get covid.

But as the fact checking you provided specifically cites One America News Network and Fox News as spreading incorrect information about the effectiveness of mask wearing, thank you for unintentionally proving my point above that the information delivered has often been slanted along partisan lines!
Actually, the negative impacts are ones I have seen first hand, medical as well as phycological, especially with those with PTSD. I never said the article talked about the negative impacts.

And what I pointed to is the crux of the numbers, sorry, I know the article wants to further manipulate the numbers.

PiratesMansion

Actually, the negative impacts are ones I have seen first hand, medical as well as phycological, especially with those with PTSD. I never said the article talked about the negative impacts.

And what I pointed to is the crux of the numbers, sorry, I know the article wants to further manipulate the numbers.
Huh? The article basically agrees with what has been the scientific consensus for going on a year. It's from a site whose entire purpose is to determine what is true and what is not. Are you now saying that it's wrong?

Last edited:

SoCalDisneyLover

I doubt it, OC didn't really require masks, even when the state did, I don't see them changing course.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. O.C. & L.A. were fairly close in terms of requirements, most of the time identical. Perhaps O.C. was a little more lenient, but not by much. We spent a lot of the last 17 months in the same colored tier under the prior system.

SoCalDisneyLover

The relevant part of that article:

But as we already explained, the study is not showing a decrease in the number of cases and deaths but a decrease in the growth rate of the daily cases and deaths.

The authors of the study did not respond to an interview request from FactCheck.org. But the CDC’s Gery P. Guy Jr., the lead author, told the Associated Press that although those changes in daily growth rates may sound small, they quickly add up.

“Each day that growth rate is going down, the cumulative effect — in terms of cases and deaths — adds up to be quite substantial,” Guy told the AP.

For example, if cases were growing at 5% per day and that growth rate dropped to 3.5% per day, the total number of cases could shrink substantially, particularly over time.

Vermund told FactCheck.org since the results show changes in the daily growth rate they are “much more impressive” than they may appear.

“This is actually quite a large effect, the opposite of what the scurrilous journalist said,” Vermund told us, referring to the OAN story.

Neysa Ernst, nurse manager at Johns Hopkins Medicine’s biocontainment unit, told us the study results are not only statistically significant, but also clinically significant. She’s been on the front lines of caring for COVID-19 patients and says every percentage point change means a lot for units like hers and overwhelmed emergency departments across the country.

“Every percentage point has someone’s family member attached to that,” she said in a phone interview.

Nirya

So to summarize, you came up with a number, cited an article that said the number you came up with was not even close to accurate, and are now going “well actually those numbers are wrong anyway and my eyes tell a different, clearly correct story so who are you going to believe?”

James122

Getting back on topic a little, I live in LA County and this is re-instating of the mandate is beyond frustrating to me - on one hand, unless you have legitimate medical reasons for not being vaccinated, there really isn't any reason why you shouldn't be by now - and the more vaccinated people there are, the less chance of the virus being able to mutate into new variants.

On the other hand, last time I checked, something like 60% of LA County had at least one dose. I understand that cases are rising among the unvaccinated but it seems like a more targeted approach would be in order so as to surgically address the areas where there are clusters of outbreaks, rather than putting the entire county of 10 million people under another mast mandate when almost 2/3 of the population is at least partially protected.

It sucks cause it seems like things were just getting back on track and now this happens. My fear - although I acknowledge it's unlikely to happen - is that our public health department puts the county under more restrictions and we go back to a situation we had in the winter, which would be a catastrophic blow to so many businesses that were just beginning to recover.

Also selfishly, I'm returning to Disneyland next weekend for the first time since March 6, 2020 and I don't want anything to mess with that!

Tamandua

I spoke to an intensive care nurse who works at a hospital in Pasadena tonight. She said they currently have 0 covid patients in intensive care. She also said her hospital has seen a huge spike in suicides over the last year. She thinks this new mask mandate is terrible.

Tamandua

I know you guys think I'm full of crap, but do you trust the FDA?

b948LJ2G.jpeg.jpg

James122

I think the greatest divide is that those who encourage others to get vaccinated view being vaccinated as saving others, but those who have no interest in being vaccinated view it as personal protection. "If you want to be protect yourself from Covid, get the vaccine" is their mentality, and so it makes sense that those who are not, and have never been, afraid of Covid have no interest in being vaccinated, and it will be near impossible to convince them that being vaccinated protects others because they will just say "well, then they should get vaccinated."
I agree. I also think that reinstating the mask mandate will do little, if anything, to convince non-vaccinated people to get the vaccine. And for me, the source of my frustration and the reason my patience is wearing thin is because this current surge is being driven primarily by people who are unwilling to get their shots. Apologies if this comes across as selfish but at a certain point why is it on vaccinated people to continue to sacrifice for those who no interest in doing their part?

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I know you guys think I'm full of crap, but do you trust the FDA?

View attachment 572785
Any medication or vaccine that you’ve ever taken in your entire life likely has siniliarly sounding grave side effects. What’s more important is the statistical likelihood of any of those things occurring.
Like the time 6 people developed blood clots after getting the J&J vaccine. 6 out of millions. People started freaking out. But actually when comparing the same number of people who take birth control pills, out of those same millions of people, 10,000 people will develop blood clots.

mickEblu

Any medication or vaccine that you’ve ever taken in your entire life likely has siniliarly sounding grave side effects. What’s more important is the statistical likelihood of any of those things occurring.
Like the time 6 people developed blood clots after getting the J&J vaccine. 6 out of millions. People started freaking out. But actually when comparing the same number of people who take birth control pills, out of those same millions of people, 10,000 people will develop blood clots.

I mean it sucks if you re one of those “6” people who probably had a 99.5 % chance of beating COVID. And that’s IF you got it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom