Coranavirus Disneyland General Discussion

CaptinEO

Original Poster
The problem still is businesses that will not allow entry without masks. Haven't encountered this yet though.

Funny enough yesterday I visited multiple stores, I'd say only half of people (employees iincluded) had masks on (I think most didn't get the memo, can't blame them), and businesses didn't care.

However, I wonder in the future if they will be stricter.

MoonRakerSCM

Why would they have had masks on yesterday? The mandate didn't go into effect until midnight last night.

It was so important they waited until after Friday and Saturday evening to instate it.

SoCalDisneyLover

Why would they have had masks on yesterday? The mandate didn't go into effect until midnight last night.

It was so important they waited until after Friday and Saturday evening to instate it.
Always a complaint.

Perhaps they waited in order to give people a heads up. So they could have time to implement any procedures necessary for enforcement, etc.

There's Always a complaint. Had the mask mandate been instituted Immediately, you would be here complaining that they gave no warning. That one day there's no mask requirement, then suddenly the next day, they're required.

Entitled Americans. "I Don't Want To Prove I'm Vaccinated." "I Don't Want To Get Vaccinated." "I Don't Want To Wear A Mask." And on.....and on......and on......

Californian Elitist

Always a complaint.

Perhaps they waited in order to give people a heads up. So they could have time to implement any procedures necessary for enforcement, etc.

There's Always a complaint. Had the mask mandate been instituted Immediately, you would be here complaining that they gave no warning. That one day there's no mask requirement, then suddenly the next day, they're required.

Entitled Americans. "I Don't Want To Prove I'm Vaccinated." "I Don't Want To Get Vaccinated." "I Don't Want To Wear A Mask." And on.....and on......and on......
It’s even worse when you witness an entitled American or two abroad. The embarrassment.

MoonRakerSCM

Pfft, how's your day, surrounded by these nasty entitled americans? Complaining about anything other than my comment? I'm just sitting here thinking about what to complain about next...

October82

Always a complaint.

Because of the long asymptomatic period, the relevant timescale for public health measures is 2-3 weeks. What LA's indoor mask mandate is meant to do is cutoff transmission cycles before they've begun, keeping cases to a minimum in late August-September when they would otherwise be growing at the largest rate.

October82

What does being vaccinated have to do with contraction and transmission? 😩

The vaccines are highly effective at preventing severe cases of Covid. They are very effective at preventing mild cases of Covid as well, and comparably effective at preventing transmission to others.

But that's only part of the story. The other "half" of the story is that Covid is highly infectious. It is much more infectious than most respiratory diseases, and it is especially hard to prevent transmission because of the long asymptomatic period. What that means is that, even though the vaccines offer large personal and public health benefits in terms of risk reduction, they can not end the pandemic unless 70-80% of people are vaccinated.

In the absence of political polarization and misinformation (fact check: your risk of an adverse reaction the vaccines is much less than your risk of serious disease in all demographic groups above 12), 70-80% is an attainable number.

Last edited:

SoCalDisneyLover

The vaccines are highly effective at preventing severe cases of Covid. They are very effective at preventing mild cases of Covid as well, and comparably effective at preventing transmission to others.

But that's only part of the story. The other "half" of the story is that Covid is highly infectious. It is much more infectious than most respiratory diseases, and it is especially hard to prevent transmission because of the long asymptomatic period. What that means is that, even though the vaccines offer large personal and public health benefits in terms of risk reduction, they can not end the pandemic unless 70-80% of people are vaccinated.

In the absence of political polarization and misinformation (fact check: your risk of an adverse reaction the vaccines is much less than your risk of serious disease in all demographic groups above 12), 70-80% is an attainable number.
Still amazes me that 17 months in, we still need to have a discussion and explanation about how this virus works. After 625,000 American Deaths and 4.1 Million Worldwide, there is an ongoing debate. Only now instead of just the virus being explained and debated, the vaccines get added into the mix.

I'm honestly pretty much done with the explanations and pleading. Enough Americans are willing to accept hundreds or even thousands of deaths daily, that it's evidently going to be something the rest of us have to live with. Or die with, as the case may be. I feel protected for the moment, having been vaccinated, but I am not naive enough to believe that a variant won't come along, and change everything.

el_super

I feel protected for the moment, having been vaccinated, but I am not naive enough to believe that a variant won't come along, and change everything.

Denial is a crazy thing. We wouldn't even be in this mess now if people weren't so afraid of just wearing a mask.

I still have a generally optimistic view of people though, and even as we worked through this first round, I think there were more wins than losses. I think now that the precedent has been set that Disneyland can close due to a pandemic, governments and health officials will be quicker to take action the next time this happens (and there will be a next time).

With enough effort, global pandemics can be eliminated .... in time.

SoCalDisneyLover

I think now that the precedent has been set that Disneyland can close due to a pandemic, governments and health officials will be quicker to take action the next time this happens (and there will be a next time).

With enough effort, global pandemics can be eliminated .... in time.
I wish I could agree with your sentiment. I just don't see any closures forthcoming, regardless of the situation.

Just take one look at the Olympics. Japan is in the midst of an outbreak, yet they're willing to bring in people FROM ALL AROUND THE WORLD, and put them in close contact with one another for several weeks. It's FULL STEAM AHEAD.

All in the pursuit of $$$$$$$$$. Watch for those same outcries here at the slightest attempt to suggest there might be closures. Heck, we are not even willing to wear masks indoors, there's already an uproar about that being imposed in L.A. county. Wait until it hits Disneyland.

mickEblu

I wish I could agree with your sentiment. I just don't see any closures forthcoming, regardless of the situation.

Just take one look at the Olympics. Japan is in the midst of an outbreak, yet they're willing to bring in people FROM ALL AROUND THE WORLD, and put them in close contact with one another for several weeks. It's FULL STEAM AHEAD.

All in the pursuit of $$$$$$$$$. Watch for those same outcries here at the slightest attempt to suggest there might be closures. Heck, we are not even willing to wear masks indoors, there's already an uproar about that being imposed in L.A. county. Wait until it hits Disneyland.

You must be fun at parties

Parteecia

I personally will wear a mask indoors in public places despite being fully vaccinated because I have since become immunocompromised, NOT related to the shot.

And besides, the hope of the vaccine was to prevent infection but the pragmatic goal was to prevent hospitalizations by keeping the cases milder. Even a 99.5% efficacy rate means that 5 in a thousand will still catch it, and there have been millions of immunizations.

By masking up I hope to prevent being one of those 5 but if I do get it and don't know it, I hope to limit spreading it.

el_super

You're right, in the short term I don't see any closures coming. At least not yet.

Despite what the very vocal minority have to say about it, people will mask up and take precautions, once an actual threat is determined. I have no doubt of that. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of the most vocal here have also been vaccinated and still take precautions, even while trying to score political points on an internet forum. Self preservation is the strongest sense we have. When friends and family start ending up in the hospital, or worse, people WILL take precautions and politics will melt away... if it gets that bad.

It's easy to make the mistake that the world (esp the US) is handling this badly, but in a lot of ways this is the first time this has happened in the modern world. There is a lot of trial and error involved and sure, a lot of skepticism. Something like the Olympics are a really good example of that: traditionalists WANT the games to continue because they seem so important to our global culture. At the same time, I keep seeing how "deeply unpopular" the games are in Japan and how companies are now turning their back on them. It's a tough call, to decide between abandoning billions in investment or risking a medical catastrophe.

Hopefully though, this is just the first step in people realizing the Olympics just aren't all that important.

Parteecia

Who cares? Why you people so afraid of getting sick? Do y’all also tremble at the thought of the common cold?
I care about my health and others. When I caught chicken pox in my 40s I isolated because I didn't want to spread that either.

I had a miserable week the last time I had a cold. I'd rather not have another.

And unlike with a cold, covid infections can end up in the hospital. Honestly, the scenes of needing refrigerated trucks to hold all of the dead really hit me hard. I'd like to prevent that again. A piece of fabric is so simple. I wear them on other parts of my body.

mickEblu

Thanks for the detailed response but my question still remains. I don’t understand the science behind how the vaccine prevents someone from contracting or transmitting the virus. I understand how the vaccine can help one fight the virus should they get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom