Congress Questions Next Gen

I guess the point is if you don't like the rfid bracelet don't go to Disney then. But I think the thing that everyone is forgetting is that if you go and don't make purchases with your bracelet then all the "tracking" is no different then using your bank account.

How do you figure?
The RFID chip is not a GPS unit it does not give out a signal as to where you are located in the park. The only time it gathers information is when you scan it to buy something or enter a park or ride. If you eliminate purchasing with it that information becomes unavailable. Your room key/hopper ticket already has the information of where you have been in the park currently. My point on the bank account information is that bank employees have access to where you are based on where you have used your credit/debit card, so purchasing wise how is that different? It's not like congress is investigating that information that the bank gathers?

End of the day when you choose to go to a private business you are going to exchange a small portion of your personal privacy and that is by choice.

awoogala

This may have been mentioned...but has anyone stopped to really think about this? Disney has been using these features for a long time now. If you've stayed at a Disney resort you've received a Key to the World card. This card gets you into your hotel room, acts as your ticket into the park, and has charging capabilities. Guess what? When you use your Key to the World card to be issued a Fast Pass, Disney has a good idea that you'll be at that certain ride within the hour timeframe. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
some of us do realize this, and again.
1. I do not attach charging to my card, thus eliminating that connection.
2. I am an adult, not a child- I understand that tracking me is allowed and happening.
3. I do not have a smartphone app which, when used, allows them full permission to market to my underage, and previously off limit children. (luckily, I don't have a smartphone at all, but that is another story)
4. They cannot track my physical presence (and my children's) beyond the fp kiosks and charging.

Even if I did not have kids, this would scare me, and comparing it to adult tracking is not the same. The fact that using the "my disney experience" app gives free reign, and that most people would not even question Disney, gives them free access to tracking and compiling data on kids. It is sleight of hand, and it makes me seriously question the few values I thought disney had left.
I am not a tin hat type, I am not an IT expert, and I am not scared of the internet and all data-mining as a whole. I am probably the "average" type of disney guest, perhaps slightly higher income/intelligence, perhaps not.

lazyboy97o

The RFID chip is not a GPS unit it does not give out a signal as to where you are located in the park. The only time it gathers information is when you scan it to buy something or enter a park or ride. If you eliminate purchasing with it that information becomes unavailable. Your room key/hopper ticket already has the information of where you have been in the park currently. My point on the bank account information is that bank employees have access to where you are based on where you have used your credit/debit card, so purchasing wise how is that different? It's not like congress is investigating that information that the bank gathers?

End of the day when you choose to go to a private business you are going to exchange a small portion of your personal privacy and that is by choice.
RFID readers need not be incorporated into a point-of-sale system and the MagicBand does have an active transmitter. It's not GPS tracking, but not quite as limited as you suggest.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Actually, the bracelet also has an active RFID transmitter in it which allows it to be read over a much larger range. By putting readers at the entrances to rides, stores, restaurants, etc. they can easily track where you go in the park. The signal from the active RFID can also be triangulated by multiple receivers to determine exactly where you are in the park. Don't know how much of this Disney will implement, but it is possible with this technology.

harveyt0206

If I understand the message of the "doom and gloom" contingency, most anything Disney puts out there loses functionality in something like 90 days after its debut. So, everyone just needs to hang back and let the natural course of Disney play out. Those RFID readers will be as broke as the Yeti in no time at all. Then we can all go back to hating the Fantasy land expansion and Starbucks.

**disclaimer: the above editorial comment is intended only as a joke. Interpreting said comment in any other tone is strictly prohibited.

awoogala

If I understand the message of the "doom and gloom" contingency, most anything Disney puts out there loses functionality in something like 90 days after its debut. So, everyone just needs to hang back and let the natural course of Disney play out. Those RFID readers will be as broke as the Yeti in no time at all. Then we can all go back to hating the Fantasy land expansion and Starbucks.

**disclaimer: the above editorial comment is intended only as a joke. Interpreting said comment in any other tone is strictly prohibited.
considering we just stayed at bay lake, and the wifi couldn't even work consistently for more than 30 minutes.. you're probably right!:p

G00fyDad

Yep, the bracelet will certainly stop all those kidnappings that have occurred in the 58 years of Disney theme parks. Assuming the kidnapper doesn't rip the plastic bracelet off.

If tracking children online is no big deal, why are there laws against it? For that matter, why are their laws limiting children from viewing ads for alcohol, tobacco, violence, and sexually explicit materials during daytime kids programming?

Nice over generalization there. ;) I didn't say that it would prevent it. I said that it was a possible plus to the tracking. And what do ads for tobacco have to do with this?? :confused: Btw, I am still waiting on a negative about a company tracking a child's movements and spending habits at Disney. Or anywhere for that matter.

G00fyDad

Nice over generalization there. ;) I didn't say that it would prevent it. I said that it was a possible plus to the tracking. And what do ads for tobacco have to do with this?? :confused: Btw, I am still waiting on a negative about a company tracking a child's movements and spending habits at Disney. Or anywhere for that matter.

Aww man. I got suckered in again with the instant email notification. I forgot that I had already stepped out of the rubber room and shed that icky film of paranoia. Back to the world of the sane for me, and you all have fun with this conversation. I read some of these posts and just sat here stumped and slackjawed at some of the ridiculous scared (crap)less ravings. LOL Its been fun. ;) See you in another thread! :D

HMF

If this becomes a full blown congressional hearing with supeonas, testimony under oath, etc. then Iger will be shown the door by the BoD (and it will resemble the DVC head who messed up Aulani's exit far more than it will resemble Meg's exit), and all his yes men will be tossed out with him. And what's left of nextGen may end being too toxic to implement.
That will be a very happy day for me.

SoupBone

They should question it. I'm sure Disney's lawyers will have answers to every question. There is a lot of fear about how Disney will be tracking our every move, maybe this will help us get some real answers.

I just really don't care what or how Disney is tracking me inside their parks. If they want to know how often I visit the bathrooms near Space Mountain or how many times I double fist soft serve cones from Mrs. Potts, more power to them.

Another thing, if you think this is something new or scary, then you must not surf the net at all. Google tracks and files every single thing you do, purchase, viewing times for sites, number of hits, etc. You simply cannot escape it these days. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your concerns, but Disney's NextGen is hardly a blip on the grand scale of how you are tracked every single day.

ParentsOf4

again, nothing to fret over. Bet Uni will be using these in 10 years
Or maybe Universal will continue to build new top-notch attractions that allow it to make tremendous attendance gains while WDW's attendance declines as it has for 2 out of the last 3 years.

NextGen has cost $1.5B and, so far, has caused Iger & co. a lot of headaches while Disney's $450M investment in the "New" Fantasyland is not exactly packing them in.

Let's not forget that WWOHP, Rip Ride Rockit, Despicable Me, Simpsons, Transformers, and WWOHP2 combined cost significantly less than NextGen. Universal attendance has never been higher, with IOA increasing over 65% since the opening of WWOHP.

I want WDW to do well but recognize that Universal has been investing its money much more intelligently than TDO lately.

Rose&Crowner

Definition: The percent of the scaredy cats, fear mongerers, and doom and gloomers that given the chance will return to WDW after the MyMagic+ system is mandatory.

It's is an inferred statistic based on the fact that they post on a WDW fanboy website. They LOVE it. End thread.

Wanderingman

Definition: The percent of the scaredy cats, fear mongerers, and doom and gloomers that given the chance will return to WDW after the MyMagic+ system is mandatory.

It's is an inferred statistic based on the fact that they post on a WDW fanboy website. They LOVE it. End thread.

If people never complained online then the internet would shut down. I think people forget that the people here make up 0.00000000000000000001% of the people who visit WDW.

lebeau

A waste of tax dollars. They can't pass a budget but they have time for this Bull???? ?

Why do people keep sounding the budget bell? Unbalanced fed budgets are the rule, not the exception. Honing in on budgets every time congress does anything (or even attempts to do anything) shows a fundamental lack of understanding about how the country is run. This is nothing new, folks. Certain news outlets with an agenda are making a big deal out of the status quo.

Wanderingman

Why do people keep sounding the budget bell? Unbalanced fed budgets are the rule, not the exception. Honing in on budgets every time congress does anything (or even attempts to do anything) shows a fundamental lack of understanding about how the country is run. This is nothing new, folks. Certain news outlets with an agenda are making a big deal out of the status quo.

What you said is true, what clinton was the only president in the last 60 years to balance the budget right?

I think what people are complaining about is that while they have important issues to deal with they have some random congressman wasting money and time on a nonissue in their mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom