Congress Questions Next Gen

dhall

Again, I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint, but I do not hold a similar one when it comes to WDW. There are so many ways in todays world for people to "track" me if they wanted and I am involved in some i.e Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram. Not to mention my credit card company knows more about my whereabouts than anyone.

The basis is I do not fear Disney. Not now and probably not in the future. It would seem to be naive of myself to not think, if they wanted to, the gov't could track me down any second they wanted. I fear that, not Disney. Being "tracked" as you put it will not influence my fun at any park. As I have stated before I have used the bands in other parks so maybe I am just used to the process and I know he ease that came with it.

One of the differences between being tracked by Google/Facebook/Apple, etc., is that the tracking is inherently what we pay to use the service. We agree that they can watch us in exchange for using the services they provide. Disney costs an ever-increasing number of limbs to begin with: should we accept a perceived loss of privacy for something we're already paying quite a lot of money for?

I know full well that they've been keeping track of my in-park spending habits -- it's reasonable to expect that when money changes hands. So as part of my theme park experience, Disney has been collecting 6-12 data points about my behavior for every day I'm in the park. Increasing it to 30-50 data points is, in essence, a price increase as well, which they want me to believe will eventually result in a better park experience. TDO's track record does not give me reason to trust that things will get appreciably better once they know more about me.

All this in contrast with Tokyo & Anaheim, where they improved the park experience by adding attractions and plowing a lot of money into themed areas with unique restaurants, interesting merchandise, and live entertainment.

asianway

It would only be for the stateside parks, as the other parks aren't owned fully by Disney. I'm sure Disney is hoping to be able to go to the OLC and say "Hey, look at how great this is working at WDW! You guys should buy this for the TDL parks!"... But I would bet against it ever happening.

I'm quite certain the $1.5 billion is all-encompassing... Including studies and surveys and whatever else. That doesn't mean it's any more justified.
OLC already hits capacity at both parks on a regular basis. They also make a killing on food and merch which almost every 20 something park guest is covered head to toe in. Seasonal promotions hawk what is new and different - I dont think they need any help since theyre doing it right to begin with.

GrumpyFan

They have said that publicly, while privately it has been reported they are passing along a different message.

Not calling you a liar, but I find this hard to believe. If they do this, the backlash and public outcry will be much like that of Instagram's recently, when they decided they were going to sell people's pictures without permission. However, I suppose there are certain aspects of the data that can be legally shared, but still they run the risk of the public finding out and the situation becoming very ugly.

GrumpyFan

I did read the letter, and I said that wrong. They flat out said that they WOULD sell adults personal information unless you "opt-out".

Could you please quote the text where it says they would, because I didn't see that, nor have I seen it in their privacy policy which states the exact opposite.

This is what is in their Online Privacy Policy:

We will not share your personal information outside The Walt Disney Family of Companies except in limited circumstances, including:

• When you allow us to share your personal information with another company, such as:
    • Electing to share your personal information with carefully selected companies so that they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services
    • Directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites
    Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company's privacy practices.
  • When we cooperate with financial institutions to offer co-branded products or services to you, such as our co-branded Disney Rewards Visa Card; however, we will do so only if permitted by applicable law and, in these cases, the financial institutions are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than those related to the co-branded products or services
  • When companies perform services on our behalf, like package delivery and customer service; however, these companies are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than those requested by us or required by law
  • When we share personal information with third parties in connection with the sale of a business, to enforce our Terms of Use or rules, to ensure the safety and security of our guests and third parties, to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of our guests and third parties, to comply with legal process or in other cases if we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law

As I read this, it says they will share the information for specific purposes to provide services.

dhall

It would only be for the stateside parks, as the other parks aren't owned fully by Disney. I'm sure Disney is hoping to be able to go to the OLC and say "Hey, look at how great this is working at WDW! You guys should buy this for the TDL parks!"... But I would bet against it ever happening.

I'm quite certain the $1.5 billion is all-encompassing... Including studies and surveys and whatever else. That doesn't mean it's any more justified.

Some of the software can be applied in both places: the data warehouse & tracking databases, for example. Assuming they use the same back end systems for ADR's, POS, Hotels, etc, all of the integration work would apply to both coasts as well. I don't believe that any of that adds up to more than a third of the current budget.

I'm guessing that the single biggest expense and source of the budget overrun in this system is the moderate sized municipal wi-fi system that covers all of the guest areas.

Disneyhead'71

Could you please quote the text where it says they would, because I didn't see that, nor have I seen it in their privacy policy which states the exact opposite.

As I read this, it says they will share the information for specific purposes to provide services.
You're right I should have said "share" not "sell". I went back and edited the original post to reflect the correct terminology.

RSoxNo1

There's only one other board on the net where I've seen anyone use '$texas'; college football fan?
And your wagered... Texas with a dollar sign.
Threeve.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I hate being punished for not staying on property and not getting extra magic hours. How unfair. Disney owes us right?!

Disney does owe me if they expect to get a ton of money from me. However, that may not happen for much longer as they continue to pander to the hyper planners and suck the joy out of what used to be one of the best vacation experiences on the planet. If they spent the 1.5 billion on 5 new attractions in DHS and DAK much of the need for FP would be gone. Yet, they've decided to go this questionable route. I'll get my fp+'s and see how it goes, but I think this is incredibly dumb. I'm always there at park opening. I can't wait to be shunted aside at the merge point as all the people with 9:02 fastpasses run on. TBH, I think fast pass and the 180 day ADR window should be ditched entirely and the parks should go back to being open more. They're artificially ramping up demand by having theme parks with minimal numbers of rides that will be pre-booked, restaurants with steadily declining food quality that is pre-booked and only within the ball park of reasonable resort prices if you get the dining plan or TiW, and slowly decreasing the EMHs I believe in the hopes that no one will remember the parks just used to be open a little later after they are entirely ditched.

palminnie

Disney does owe me if they expect to get a ton of money from me. However, that may not happen for much longer as they continue to pander to the hyper planners and suck the joy out of what used to be one of the best vacation experiences on the planet. If they spent the 1.5 billion on 5 new attractions in DHS and DAK much of the need for FP would be gone. Yet, they've decided to go this questionable route. I'll get my fp+'s and see how it goes, but I think this is incredibly dumb. I'm always there at park opening. I can't wait to be shunted aside at the merge point as all the people with 9:02 fastpasses run on. TBH, I think fast pass and the 180 day ADR window should be ditched entirely and the parks should go back to being open more. They're artificially ramping up demand by having theme parks with minimal numbers of rides that will be pre-booked, restaurants with steadily declining food quality that is pre-booked and only within the ball park of reasonable resort prices if you get the dining plan or TiW, and slowly decreasing the EMHs I believe in the hopes that no one will remember the parks just used to be open a little later after they are entirely ditched.

I agree with you 100%. I liked the days where my DH and I didn't have to decide what to eat 6 months in advance. In the past few years we have made less ADRs. We also used to add a meal plan to our reservation, but we have stopped doing that too. By making all of these changes Disney is getting less and less of my money. I don't want to plan every part of my vacation at WDW months in advance.

rael ramone

We will not share your personal information outside The Walt Disney Family of Companies except in limited circumstances, including:

Except in limited circumstances. Including.

Sounds like they gave 'some' of the examples of how they would share the mined data. But not all.

lego606

MagicBandit
They'll share it when they have to so that certain functionality can be enabled (kind of the same way how Facebook requires certain rights in order to post pictures due to strange legal situations). I don't think they're going to reveal, at this point, every way its shared, probably because that could give away functionality we don't know about yet (like some kind of big, must-have, *magical* feature)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom