Congress Questions Next Gen

TP2000

Heard of "low information voters?" Markey is a "low information congressman." Would be fun to know who put him onto this story.

I spent years living in Massachusetts a couple decades ago and remember the Markey name. Say no more.

This MyMagic topic was featured quite heavily about a week ago on the nationally syndicated talk radio show "Coast To Coast", which is an overnight radio program famous for talking about UFO's, Bigfoot, the end of the world, and the latest conspiracy theory. I tune in quite frequently for the entertainment value, and heard the guest on the show that night, Katherine Albrecht, go on and on about Disney's new plan to use RFID tags to track your children and keep tabs on your every move.

The story was out there nationally a week or so ago, and since its right up Markey's alley one of his staff members probably zoomed in on it for him. Your point about Senator Kerry's seat being vacant shortly is likely quite relevant to Markey's interest in the topic.

TP2000

Al Lutz has an interesting comment on this topic this morning, regarding the panic the Congressman's questions have caused in Burbank and Orlando corner offices. From the front page of Miceage.com today...

Editor's Note: January 25, 2013: MyMagic Nonplussed? The blunt questions asked of Bob Iger about the NextGen program by Massachusetts Congressman Ed Markey rolled through Disney's Burbank and Orlando offices like a tsunami on Thursday. The issue of data-mining children's experiences in Disney's parks by using RFID chips to track their behavior is now a hot topic on national talk radio thanks to alarmed parents; and could very well be why our last podcast where we discuss the issue has been breaking records. The entire NextGen/MyMagic initiative is under fire before it even hits the Orlando parks, and the suits are in full crisis mode now. Burbank should have heeded their front line park operators on this one, as they foresaw dozens of problems with NextGen. Congressman Markey's statement and questions to Iger are found at this link.

Buried20KLeague

Al Lutz has an interesting comment on this topic this morning, regarding the panic the Congressman's questions have caused in Burbank and Orlando corner offices. From the front page of Miceage.com today...

HAHA!!!! That's GREAT. I literally read that with a smile on my face.

How funny would it be if this thing becomes a giant hand grenade that no one will hold?

I don't believe it'll get that bad... But it's funny that it's even a remote possibility!!!

DocMcHulk

Have any of the "insiders" here been hearing what Al said? (@WDW1974, @Lee, @marni1971, @drew81)

Jimmy Thick

Its a brisk and busy day in Burbank, California.

Bob Iger sits at his desk looking over sensitive documents related to the company when all of a sudden his intercom interrupts his train of thought...

Secretary:
" Mr.Iger, your two o'clock is here."

Iger:
" I have no appointments today, who is it?"

Secretary:
"Its a gentleman by the name of Lyle Lanley, he says he has some important technology to show you."

Iger:
" I don't have the time, send him away."

As the secretary as communicating with Bob, Lyle secretly managed to sneak inside Bob's office, Lyle will not be denied..

Lyle Lanley:
"Mr. Iger, allow me to introduce myself, my name is..."

Iger:
" I applaude your persistance but I'm much too busy, please leave at this time, if you don't I will have no choice to call security."

Lyle:
" I respect that Mr.Iger, but I have a new marvel when it comes to theme park technology, one that will allow you to track your guests in ways never developed, and it will also enhance their experience. But if you want me to leave, I can always take it to Universal, seems like they know how to push the envelope..."

Iger, at first not amused but now interested swallows his professional pride and stops the slow walking Lanley.

Iger:
"Ok Lyle, let me call up some lawyers to the room, and I'll give you 5 minutes to present what you have."

Lyle:
"5 minutes, I only need 3."

And in 3 minutes, Lyle gets his point across...

Lawyer #1:
"So let me get this straight, we track the guest on what they spend, where they go, what they eat, and we can offer advertising to get them intrested to spend even more money on other things based on that data? I actually like how that sounds."

Lyle:
"But here is the good part, they think you are offering them convience, which you are, but you would rather have that data, that personal information. You could even sell that data for even more profit. As you get new guests, you get more data, the more data, the more money. The more money, the bigger your bonus. Not only can you cut spending on matainence in the parks to thicken the old bonus envelope, you have an additional source of revenue for those bonuses. And get this, its foolproof."

Lawyer #2:
"Explain foolproof?"

Lyle:
" You're Disney, no one will question you, and if they do no one will believe you are doing anything bad."

Iger:
" Wait a second, are we doing anything bad with this techonlogy?"

Lyle:
"Nah, the laws surrounding privacy are not black and white, its like a free use thing, I could make a movie in your theme parks about men oogling teenage girls and.."

Iger:
"WHAT?"

Lyle:
"My point gentlemen is, this is the wave of the future, if you don't buy this technology now, I'll sell it to Universal and you will be playing catch up. My price is 3 billion dollars, cash only."

Iger and the 2 lawyers huddle together for roughly 52 seconds before announcing...

Iger:
"Ok, good or bad, we want the technology, but we want you to discuss price with our negotiator, deal?"

Lyle:
"I'll listen, but I think my price is set"

As soon as Lyle finishes, Rick and the Old Man from Pawn Stars burst through the doors. The Old Man barely has his eyes open and Rick is twirlling his skull bracelet.

Rick:
"Ok, I have been listening to this,but you need to remember, Disney has a lot of overhead, and then there is implementation and advertising, I'm going to offer 500 million.

The Old Man:
" Thats way too high son"

Lyle:
"How about 2 billion?"

Rick:
"One billion, and I don't know why I'm even going that high"

Lyle:
"Can we meet halfway? 1.5 billion?"

Rick then looks at Iger who nods in approval....

And if that scenerio seems plausible, than I guess you deserve to think Disney is using NextGen to invade people privacy...

Jimmy Thick- Wanted to put the guys from Deadliest Catch in there...

fosse76

The government should not be involved in what Disney does or doesn't know about my behavior. If I choose to go to WDW and wear an RFID band and give Disney that info and they send me an advertizement in response..........that is between me and Disney. If they send my kid an advertizement, that is between me and Disney.
If I am unhappy, I will let Disney know, and maybe stop going. The point is.........that is between me and Disney.
I am so blooming tired of the government getting it's nose in our business, I am ready to spit. Go away and leave me alone.

First of all, the government questioning Disney and its motives on this initiative has absolutely NOTHING to do with you, so get off your soapbox regarding government overreach. This is absolutely the type of oversight that is needed in order to prevent abuses by corporations and business owners against consumers. It is the government's responsibility to protect its people, and in this case it is very unclear to a lot of people exactly what it is Disney is trying to do. This type of invasive data-gathering screams for government oversight. While it doesn't seem like much of a big deal, the data they will be collecting really is invasive. NextGen allows Disney to virtually stalk you when on their property. Sure they can tell now when you enter a park, or your hotel room, or get a FP, but that would take a bit of work on their part. And let's face it, they have absolutely no need to know that information. Disney wants this information so they can upsell to you based on what rides you ride, what merchandise you buy, and where you stay. I already get bombarded by Disney marketing...the last thing I need is a substially larger marketing push on me based on what they may or may not have determined from my park purchases. This initiative is nothing more than a money grab, and anyone who thinks it will enhance the guest experience is delusional and should seek professional help. FP+ is NOT an improvement on the current FP system when you receive substantially smaller allotment of FPs than you can currently get...so now you have longer lines to deal with. Now you have perfect strangers who will have access to information about your children: names, ages, likes, dislikes, when and where they like to shop and eat. You don't know who is going to have access to that information at Disney...Disney employees aren't above reproach. But also, you have no idea who Disney will sell that information to...and they WILL sell it. Disney can take all the precautions they want, but hackers LIVE to break into secure systems just to prove they can...let's just hope those are the ones to break into the sytem and not the criminally-oriented ones.

rael ramone

Yes Markey wants Kerry's seat. That's motivation for him.

But from what I've read here, he's also the co-comittee chair on the house comittee that oversees this kind of stuff, and he was the co-author of the COPPA bill that is at the heart of this issue. Whether it's ego (how dare they go around my law) or genuine concern, neither is good news for NextGen.

I've posted on the Spirited thread a more lenghty theory on this, so here's the short version:

If this becomes a full blown congressional hearing with supeonas, testimony under oath, etc. then Iger will be shown the door by the BoD (and it will resemble the DVC head who messed up Aulani's exit far more than it will resemble Meg's exit), and all his yes men will be tossed out with him. And what's left of nextGen may end being too toxic to implement.

Skyway

This is absolutely the type of oversight that is needed in order to prevent abuses by corporations and business owners against consumers.

Correct. And everyone is forgetting the possibility that Markey may very well be satisfied with Disney's answers. And even if he isn't, there's no guarantee he could convince the rest of the federal government to take action.

There's no denying Disney is attempting something that's never been done to this scale. Some entity has to challenge Disney on it, if only to verify that what they're doing is perfectly legal. Because if big and powerful Disney can undertake something of this scale, what's to stop a truly seedy or unethical company from doing the same thing?

If Congress doesn't challenge it, lawsuits might. So might Disney's customers (although that's probably unlikely. Customers haven't deterred Disney from raising prices and lowering quality)

njDizFan

The government should not be involved in what Disney does or doesn't know about my behavior. If I choose to go to WDW and wear an RFID band and give Disney that info and they send me an advertizement in response..........that is between me and Disney. If they send my kid an advertizement, that is between me and Disney.
If I am unhappy, I will let Disney know, and maybe stop going. The point is.........that is between me and Disney.
I am so blooming tired of the government getting it's nose in our business, I am ready to spit. Go away and leave me alone.
Ok I get it, you don't like government interfering in your personal life or your business decisions.

What exactly is government for, protecting the liberties of its' citizens, correct? don't you think that this privacy issue could possibly interfere with you as an individual. If a corporation can run rough shot over current laws, what is the use of implementing them in the first place?

This is the tip of a giant iceberg that could fastly trickle down to all of your personal consumer choices. So, let's not go to Disney if I don't like data mining? well, if left unchecked will you be left with any choices on personal data and privacy? Disney is not this first company to implement this kind of initiative but if things continue down this road all companies will certainly be left no choice in order to survive in this expanding virtual marketplace. This is not straw man or tin foil hat arguement...privay laws need to catch up to quickly counter this growing segment of corporate greed/data mining.

Skyway

A waste of tax dollars. They can't pass a budget but they have time for this Bull???? ?

Yep, that letter cost taxpayers about a dollar to write and mail. And it wasted maybe an hour of time to draft.

I guess Markey should disband his committee dealing with privacy issues? And all other members of Congress should disband all other committees that don't directly deal with budget issues?

njDizFan

Yep, that letter cost taxpayers about a dollar to write and mail. And it wasted maybe an hour of time to draft.

I guess Markey should disband his committee dealing with privacy issues? And all other members of Congress should disband all other committees that don't directly deal with budget issues?
exactly.

How dare a member of the telelcommunications and internet subcommittee waste a precious hour of an interns time drafting this letter..shouldn't he be writing new tax codes or something?

parker4fm

This may have been mentioned...but has anyone stopped to really think about this? Disney has been using these features for a long time now. If you've stayed at a Disney resort you've received a Key to the World card. This card gets you into your hotel room, acts as your ticket into the park, and has charging capabilities. Guess what? When you use your Key to the World card to be issued a Fast Pass, Disney has a good idea that you'll be at that certain ride within the hour timeframe. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This may have been mentioned...but has anyone stopped to really think about this? Disney has been using these features for a long time now. If you've stayed at a Disney resort you've received a Key to the World card. This card gets you into your hotel room, acts as your ticket into the park, and has charging capabilities. Guess what? When you use your Key to the World card to be issued a Fast Pass, Disney has a good idea that you'll be at that certain ride within the hour timeframe. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
But if you look at it that way the end of the world as we know it isn't looming and we'd have nothing to rant insanely about! :rolleyes:

juniorthomas

As logical as everything you're saying sounds, there are people out there who believe the exact opposite of what you say. I'm not trying to get into how one party may be better than the other party, but on a fundamental level there is someone out there who wants their government to be involved in things like this. They want that just as much as you do not want it. Our entire government is built upon the idea that people from multiple points of view can come together and work through these issues to make things better for everyone. Unfortunately, the past ten years have proved that majorities can legislate without including minority opinions.

Hopefully we can move beyond that so the people we elect will start working for all of us, instead of simply working for one party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom