Confessions of a DFTW Bride To Be

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Florals & Transportation

Right now I am concentrating on filling out our wedding planning kit and I am the most concerned with florals and transportation.

Florals

I cannot believe the price of a few bridesmaids bouquets. I'm very close to my budget and I need to cut costs wherever I can. What do you guys think about silk florals? I'm pretty allergic to flowers but the Escape package includes my bouquet and Jason's boutenniere. I have 2 Matrons of Honor, 1 Maid of Honor, and 2 Flower Girls. Jason has 4 Best Men. Are we allowed to bring our own silk flowers? It would be easy to just ship them down ahead of time, I'm going to do the same with my dress. Are silk flowers tacky? I'm so confused :(

Transportation

The Escape package comes with 4 hours of continuous limo service. I would like to use this to pick up anyone who is not staying at the Grand Floridian to transport them to the ceremony. Some people are staying off property - will the limo be able to pick them up?

For the Illuminations Dessert Party, I know that Jason and I have to have private transportation if we want to wear our wedding attire. My question is can everybody else just meet us there? Most people have said that after the wedding is over, they will probably go back to their hotels and change and then spend the day at EPCOT.

Thanks for your help (in advance)!

Ravenclaw87

As for floral, I know you are definitely, 100% allowed to bring your own silk floral, so no worries there! You're allowed to use your own personal floral at any venue, the rules only get a little trickier if you're using an outside floral company for floral decor, not personal use. :)

Also, it depends on the venue if you need to provide transportation for your Epcot dessert party--- which is just oh-so-silly, IMO!

Fashionista007

Original Poster
As for floral, I know you are definitely, 100% allowed to bring your own silk floral, so no worries there! You're allowed to use your own personal floral at any venue, the rules only get a little trickier if you're using an outside floral company for floral decor, not personal use. :)

Also, it depends on the venue if you need to provide transportation for your Epcot dessert party--- which is just oh-so-silly, IMO!

Thanks for the info Jackie! Our DP Venue is UK Loch side and I think that is one of the ones with more transportation options because it is so close to International Gateway. I sent my planner an email with all my questions. Hopefully she will get back to me on Monday :)

Cathi66

Bride to be!

I love all the posts about your planning your wedding! We are in the midst of starting to plan my daughters wedding, like you she is looking at the escape wedding for December 2011. We are going back and forth on making it bigger so we are actually going to talk with a wedding planner on the 4th of march at Disney to discuss more options. We had planned a last family vacation together so we decided to use it as well to gather more information to help us decide. I really like the idea of the dessert party that your having though. Thanks for all your information it is very helpful! I hope everything works out as you plan! :)

Fashionista007

Original Poster
I love all the posts about your planning your wedding! We are in the midst of starting to plan my daughters wedding, like you she is looking at the escape wedding for December 2011. We are going back and forth on making it bigger so we are actually going to talk with a wedding planner on the 4th of march at Disney to discuss more options. We had planned a last family vacation together so we decided to use it as well to gather more information to help us decide. I really like the idea of the dessert party that your having though. Thanks for all your information it is very helpful! I hope everything works out as you plan! :)

Thanks, Cathi and welcome to WDW Magic :) You are so lucky that you can go down and ask your questions in person. I really regret not dropping by Francks after I got engaged in September while I was there. I guess I was being cautious. I think my decision for having an Escape wedding was mostly the budget. It all depends on what type of event you want. I liked the idea of having a more intimate ceremony with only our immediate family. If your daughter can stand the idea of having more people, more power to her! Good luck with your planning :)

diddy_mouse

Silk flowers will work out great! They'll hold up through the ceremony and probably well into the reception. Also they make great keepsakes!

As far as transportation goes, unfortunately I don't have any advice for you there. But it's good you already have 4 hours worth in your package. Oh man...I just thought how awesome it would be to roll up to Epcot decked out in your wedding attire ((((Epcot fan/Girly moment!)))

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Silk flowers will work out great! They'll hold up through the ceremony and probably well into the reception. Also they make great keepsakes!

As far as transportation goes, unfortunately I don't have any advice for you there. But it's good you already have 4 hours worth in your package. Oh man...I just thought how awesome it would be to roll up to Epcot decked out in your wedding attire ((((Epcot fan/Girly moment!)))

I really like the idea of silk flowers because I just can't see spending SO much money on fresh flowers that will die quickly. I agree with you - the silk flowers would make nice keepsakes for my bridal party. I'm thinking Jason and I will have red roses and the bridal party will have yellow flowers. My girls are going to wear black dresses and his best men will wear classic james bond style tuxes and I think that yellow flowers will look really nice on everybody. Should I also get flowers for the parents? My sisters did but they didn't have destination weddings so I'm not sure what the etiquette is for me?

When I first put our name in for the lottery in October, Escape brides were not given the opportunity to book DPs through DFTW so we would not have been able to wear bridal attire. Luckily, that rule was changed for 2011 and I absolutely have to wear my dress to the DP. Who wouldn't want to?? I read a TR from a bride who said as she was leaving her DP through International Gateway, a little girl said to her Mom "OOO look, a Princess!". I can't wait :)

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Honeymoon ADR's?

I'm a few weeks away from the 180 day mark so I'll be able to start making ADR's!! Does anyone have any suggestions? Here's my list so far:

Hollywood Brown Derby
Le Cellier
Teppan Edo

We like to mix it up on every trip so we don't want to repeat the same restaurants. We have been to the Brown Derby before but it was so fabulous that we decided to eat there again on our Honeymoon. Here's a list of the restaurants we have already been to:

Les Chefs De France
50's Prime Time Cafe (we have an ADR for our May SWW trip)
Coral Reef (again, May trip)
Sci Fi Dine In Theater
Chef Mickey's
Cape May

I would really like to eat at one of the restaurants in AK because we have never eaten there. I think we might also have to do the Garden Grille breakfast with Chip & Dale because they are Jason's favorite. We will be there for 8 nights so we'll probably do a maximum of 6 ADR's.

Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties

My sisters are planning a bachelorette party for me at Akershus the day before the wedding. We're going to do a princess breakfast :) Does anyone have any ideas on what Jason should do for his bachelor party? He likes the idea of drinking around the world but there are a few people under 21 that probably wouldn't enjoy that too much. Plus, my Dad has a very rare nerve condition that makes it difficult for him to walk but he has too much pride to get an ECV or wheelchair. I think that Jason is going to have a hard time pleasing everybody :(

PineapplePrincess

I highly recommend California Grill! It can be so romantic and relaxing especially if you get a great server. The last two times we've been, we've had Gary, and we intend to ask for his section again in August.

Ravenclaw87

I have a GREAT idea for a bachelor party!!!! Have the guys go to Restaraunt Marakesh--- it has a belly dancer, which is totally the Disney version of an exotic dancer! :) :) And not too much walking, and you can still get drinks and yummy food.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
I highly recommend California Grill! It can be so romantic and relaxing especially if you get a great server. The last two times we've been, we've had Gary, and we intend to ask for his section again in August.

OO good suggestion, thank you! I should try to get an 8PM ressie so we can watch Wishes from there, I've always wanted to do that! As Marie would say, "How romantic!" :)

I have a GREAT idea for a bachelor party!!!! Have the guys go to Restaraunt Marakesh--- it has a belly dancer, which is totally the Disney version of an exotic dancer! :) :) And not too much walking, and you can still get drinks and yummy food.

Fantastic idea Jackie!! That would be sure to please everyone and it's not too expensive. He wanted to do the Richard Petty Driving Experience but I think that would be too expensive for everyone. I think I'll get him a Richard Petty Driving Experience for his 30th bday instead (which will be next year). Thanks for the idea :)

Fashionista007

Original Poster
No problem! :) I definitely think that Richard Petty would be too expensive for everyone to do! (Although, it would be fun...)

Agreed. I think it's about $120/person. Yikes!

Milestone!!

I've been so busy at work lately that I didn't realize yesterday was 199 days until we leave for our wedding trip!! I probably also didn't realize it because I'm too busy counting down to Star Wars Weekends - 70 days today! Good lord, I need it. Work hard, play hard right? :hammer:

PartOfYourWorld

Milestone!!

I've been so busy at work lately that I didn't realize yesterday was 199 days until we leave for our wedding trip!! I probably also didn't realize it because I'm too busy counting down to Star Wars Weekends - 70 days today! Good lord, I need it. Work hard, play hard right? :hammer:

:sohappy: It's coming fast!
And actually realized that I'll be in WDW when you're having your wedding!!!

Fashionista007

Original Poster
I just might have to make a stop by the Grand Floridian that day :)

Our wedding is at noon on 9/27/2011 and I think we'll be taking pictures in the lobby of the GF between the ceremony and the cake & champagne celebration. I'm still working on the photography list, I have a ways to go there :)

I listened to your podcast! Great job, you guys sounded so relaxed and happy and excited.

Thank you so much for listening!! They edited me a LOT but I don't think they had to do too much for Jason, he was a natural! I loved the part where he talked about the engagement, he's so sweet! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to talk to them again after the wedding is over :D

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Another Milestone: Wedding Planning Kit SUBMITTED!

I finally submitted our wedding planning kit today and here are some of the options we chose:

Florals

The Escape package comes with the bride's bouquet and groom's boutenniere. I decided I would have an all red french bouquet and Jason would have a red boutonnière.

Bouquet.jpg

The girls will carry yellow flower balls which I think will look stunning with their black dresses!

YellowRoseBall.jpg

And the men will wear yellow rose boutonnières:

BestMenBoutenniere.jpg

I still haven't quite decided what to get for the parents yet. I'm going to just end up getting a flower for everybody because other than the people in the bridal party and the parents, there are only 2 others and I don't want them to feel left out. Plus they will be ushers so they should get a flower anyway. Flowers for everybody!!

The Cake

I of course chose Mickey's Delight. I saw it on the Food Network special for Disney Weddings a few years ago (you can find it on YouTube) and there is no other cake for me. I think I would have tried to get it special delivered if I had to have my wedding at home. We chose yellow cake with chocolate mousse filling. We're big on yellow cake with chocolate frosting at home. We have it for all of our birthdays and I'm usually the one to bake it (Betty Crocker FTW). YUM!!

Cake.jpg

Music

I'm not sure if this is the case for all disney weddings but for the Escape wedding, you do not get a CD with songs to choose from. They have a list of traditional songs in the wedding planning kit and you can request other songs as long as they have the rights to it. For your convenience, I have links to some of the songs in YouTube. You know 'em and love 'em but you might not know what they are actually called. I know I didn't!

We went for the traditional music which might surprise some people. After watching scads of wedding videos, I felt that the traditional music fit the wedding pavilion better and made me much more emotional.

Groom: Trumpet Voluntary by Clarke
Bridal Party: Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring by Bach
Bride: Bridal Chorus, you all know this one!
Unity Candle Ceremony: Candle On The Water (Pete's Dragon)
Recessional: Wedding March (There Goes the Bride) by Mendelssohn

First Dance: Promise (Illuminations: Reflections of Earth)

Cake & Champagne Celebration:
Spectromagic Theme
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes "Cinderella"
When You Wish Upon A Star "Pinocchio"
Kiss the Girl “The Little Mermaid”
A Whole New World “Aladdin”
Beauty and the Beast “Beauty and the Beast”
Mickey Mouse March
Bella Notte “Lady and the Tramp”
Once Upon a Dream “Sleeping Beauty”
Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo “Cinderella”
Part of Your World “The Little Mermaid”
Can You Feel the Love Tonight “The Lion King”
So This is Love “Cinderella”
Under the Sea “The Little Mermaid”
Circle of Life “The Lion King”

Photography & Videography

I had Disney send me a few videography samples in January and I'm really glad I did because I didn't see the need for me to get anything but the ceremony. Plus if you go with the ceremony only uncut option at the Wedding Pavilion, you get your copy as you leave. How great is that? I'll have it up on YouTube the instant I get home!

Videography: Ceremony Only DVD $750

After looking at all of the photography packages I finally realized that all I really wanted was a DVD of every single photo but that wasn't listed. I asked my wedding planner about it and she said we can forego the included Escape package and get just the DVD for an extra $350. That's much cheaper than all of the packages they have that include all kinds of neat stuff but nothing I really had my heart set on. My plan is to create a photo book using Shutterfly after the wedding.

Photo Archive DVD: $350
Shutterfly Photo Book: $10.39

How We're Doing On Budget

I'm not 100% sure but I think we're getting up to around $12,000 and our original budget was $10,000. Our "budget" always included just the venue, flowers, and food. I have the attire & travel budget separate. 2,000 over isn't so bad. I just picked up some freelance web development work so we're good to go.

DFTW Escape Package - Wedding Pavilion $5750
Mickey & Minnie $1350
MK/EPCOT Bridal Portrait Sessions $1400
Videography - Ceremony Only $750
Photo Archive DVD - $350

Prices we still need:
EPCOT Illuminations Dessert Party (Budget $1600)
Miscellaneous Items: hors devours, altar arrangement & candle, etc. (Budget $1000)

Comes to a grand total of: $12,200

I don't think it will be that much once we get the prices for the DP, hors devours for the cake & champagne celebration, and WP decor. I added a few extra hundred to the DP because we requested private transportation for me and Jason so we can wear our wedding attire in the park. Our guests will meet us at International Gateway and we will all enter together. I'm also interested to see the prices for adding hors devours to the cake & champagne celebration. I'm thinking it could be anywhere from $400 - $600. I hope it's closer to $400!!

I'm really glad our Wedding Planning Kit is submitted! This is a HUGE milestone in our wedding planning. When we go to Star Wars Weekends in May, we have appointments to meet with RevKev and Kathleen, our wedding planner. We get to meet her at Franck's!! I'm SO excited about that. I'll take tons of pictures! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom