Closures due to cold weather

celestia

for the other locals channel 13 just said it was going to be in the 20's tonight (without the windchill.) cold... but I'm loving it. :)

brr!

:lookaroun

Figment82

Has it ever snowed in Orlando? Anyway, if the temperatures keep going down, im pretty sure they wwll close test track, avoiding the risk of making the guests come out of the ride without ears (speed, cold and a long outdoors track)! (really, I learned that the hard way in germany)

There were snow flurries Thanksgiving week in 2006, but it was barely noticeable as it was melting as it fell.

I know it's colder elsewhere in the country (as my parents are all too quick to point out) but it's COLD here right now. When it's 80 degrees one day and 40 the next, it feels much colder than it would normally. With the wind chill, it's about 20 here right now...

Even the cold weather didn't stop people lining up for Test Track today. No thank you! They were covering up the plants around property today in anticipation of the freeze warning in effect.

Hrudey3032

iiiitttttsss 7 degggreeeeeesss herrreee riggghhhhttt nnnnnooooowwww winnnnndddd chilllll of ----12 myyyyy hannnddssss frozzzzzeee walkinnnnngggg ouuutssssiideeee

ccmuffin2

I was at WDW the first week of Dec '03 and it was in the 4o's I bought some new sweatshirts a blankett in the Mexico pavillian market place. I did not care at all when I got home to NY that I had 18" of snow .. LOL ....I missed from the Blizzard while I was on vacation....

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The topiaries at UoE literally get covered in what are the remains of old hot air balloons or parachutes. Quite a sight.

Fun2BFree

And I thought my Windows Vista Sidebar was acting up when it told me the weather in Orlando was 40 degrees Fahrenheit! :lol:

Darlzee

Disney w/o Jan 20th

I am going to be there from 1-20 until 1-26 .:sohappy: I think we will pack everything from snowshoes to sneakers.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Hello There!
We'll be there same week arriving on Jan 19th, been watching weather closely, its up and down one day in 80's next in 70's. Praying we get a good week, at least in 70's, hoping for at least one day in 80's. We're from the Buffalo area and it is 8 degrees today, so 70's is swimming weather. Would love to take the grandkids to Typhoon Lagoon for them to experience.
We'll keep praying and watching!
Good luck to all of us that week!

When my husband and I got engaged in 2000, we had only packed shorts and t shirts and one pair of jeans each. The year before at the same time (late Jan. early Feb. ) it was in the 80's. However, in 2000 it actually started SNOWING! We had to buy sweatshirts, scarfs, gloves, and hats. If I can find the picture to scan, I have a pic showing my husband standing in front of SE with his gloves and hooded sweatshirt on with some snow blowing around.:rolleyes:

Now, we always check the weather a week before we go! That means I have to start looking in about 2 weeks---WDW here we come AGAIN!:sohappy:

BTW it's a balmy 6 degrees here in Southeastern Michigan, so 40 sounds like bikini weather to me!!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
But.... it was the cold weather that made it.....

:lookaroun :lol:
i was waiting for that....

"Freak" as in quick not unexpected. I was in shorts on NYE and froze my butt off in jeans and a jacket on NYD.
are you sure you werent in Alabama. that sounds like our weather on a weekly basis. the low last night was something close to 18 and in 2 days it will be back in the 40's. it is normal for 30 degree swings here in 24 hours. my sinus's LOVE this weather. :rolleyes:

prberk

It is Jan 3, 2008. 4:30am and it is 27 Degrees on my front lawn right now... and I am 10 miles from WDW. My poor blanketed plants and palms are screaming right now.

FYI: Disney and Uni use a ton of these to keep the plants looking great in such weather:
http://www.heatershop.com/kerosene_forced_air_k650_fat.html

They are saying on the news that the 27° that you are experiencing is freezing the oranges, and that the cold snap seems bad enough to devastate the crops.

I was there one year when it got down into the 20s, and I remember thinking, "Wow, you can actually turn on the heat in these WDW rooms!"

But even as interesting as it is to see WDW deal with the cold, I really hate that the farmers could lose their entire harvest.... They need our prayers.

Paul

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Article from Orlando Sentinel about how the community is dealing:

Cypress Gardens Adventure Park and two Walt Disney World properties proud of their lush landscapes sprayed a newly developed insulating foam on precious plants.

The foam, a product of Hudson-based American Ag Foam LLC, was studied in 2005 and 2006 by the University of Florida and found to protect pepper, tomato, squash, watermelon and strawberry transplants in two freezes.

The foam looks like snow but its creators say it keeps heat from the ground in and cold out. Cypress Gardens officials said it can be applied quickly and melts as soon as the temperature rises to safe levels or is watered off.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-weather0308jan03,0,5170083.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
i was waiting for that....

are you sure you werent in Alabama. that sounds like our weather on a weekly basis. the low last night was something close to 18 and in 2 days it will be back in the 40's. it is normal for 30 degree swings here in 24 hours. my sinus's LOVE this weather. :rolleyes:
It seems like a bit more of a temperature swing here. This morning we got down to the mid twenties and on Monday we will be back up to 75.

The Mom

Premium Member
They are saying on the news that the 27° that you are experiencing is freezing the oranges, and that the cold snap seems bad enough to devastate the crops.

I was there one year when it got down into the 20s, and I remember thinking, "Wow, you can actually turn on the heat in these WDW rooms!"

But even as interesting as it is to see WDW deal with the cold, I really hate that the farmers could lose their entire harvest.... They need our prayers.

Paul

This has happened in the past, and many of the citrus growers just threw in the towel and sold their farms to developers. There is a town not far away from me called Orange Park, but there are no orange groves (to speak of) left there. I also remember passing miles of orange groves in suburban Orlando when I first moved here in the early 80s; now they're subdivisions.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
That's actually what my subdivision is built on. Behind some houses there's just groves of various citrus in neat little rows - but they're abandoned and not kept up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom