Closures due to cold weather

scpergj

It was 1983. I had a 12 week old infant, and had a terrible time getting the house warm enough. The heat pumps of that era were not very efficient when the temperatures fell below freezing. I also remember my washer outflow hose freezing; I ran a load of wash (see the second sentence :lol:) and it overflowed. I ended up sloooowly pouring warm into it to defrost it.

Then, Christmas of 1989 we had snow followed by cold (so it didn't melt immediately) and my neighbor's (out of town) pipes froze. They thought that leaving the thermostat at 60 would be enough to prevent it.

I remember both of those quite well, too! I had to help my mom thaw the water pipe coming in (we used two blow driers), and had to run the pool all night to keep the pump from icing up!

In 1989, the snow was bad...the day before Christmas Eve, and I had to work on Christmas Eve. I drove a Mustang 5.0 automatic, and had to shift out of drive at every light to keep the wheels from spinning and moving sideways!

BTW...it was 26 at my house in the Jacksonville area this morning, and one of the guys that I work with has a son at Emery Riddle in Daytona that called him to say he was watching snow flurries. Doesn't happen often, but I've seen it about 10 times in almost 30 years. How cold did the Orlando area get last night?

Kevin

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wait it can snow in florida???? i new upper california b/c big bear lake, but florida??? Its cold here tooooo...........wishing i was somewhere warm
Yes it can.

how much can it snow???
~A dream is what you rheart makes~
~when you wish upon a star~
Not much. Nine times out of ten when we get snow it melts immediately so there is no accumulation. The worst I have ever experienced was Christmas of 1989. We got an evening of freezing rain followed by a few inches of snow. This basically shut the entire city of Jacksonville down for 2 or 3 days.

cmothemoose

I too am enjoying the single digit temps here in Boston. Man do we northerners love to talk about the cold weather! My wife and I went down in '03. It was cold the week before we were there. And got cold again the week after. But we were lucky to have beautiful, warm sunshine during our trip. While I could certainly handle anything a Floridian would call freezing with shorts and a long sleeve tee.... I must say it would be disappointing to miss out on the warmer weather in the Happiest Place on Earth.

FYI- all of the attractions stayed open during the cold weather before we arrived. The water rides (rapids, splash) just lower the water levels so guests stay dry(ish). And for those brave enough to go to the water parks the water is well heated. It's getting out of the water that gets you.

wdwjmp239

Wait it can snow in florida???? i new upper california b/c big bear lake, but florida??? Its cold here tooooo...........wishing i was somewhere warm

Occasionally, it snows in Florida. It occurs every three to four years. Understand that when I say snow, I'm not meaning in the "up north" sense of snow (I'm originally from Holtsville, NY (Long Island)). We get what "up north" calls snow flurries. It's very rare that you'll actually see any accumulation unless a freak snow storm blows through such as the Superstorm in March 1993. I believe the Florida Panhandle got a couple of inches of snow before it melted away.

If you do some research on the Internet, snow did accumulate in Tampa, FL (which is about an hour west of Orlando) back in the late 70s if I recall correctly. I wasn't down here at the time, but I've heard stories of it where the students going to USF (University Of South Florida) had a "snow day" to play in the snow. LOL

Last night, in Naples, FL (where I'm located), it got down to 31 degrees. We had the heater running all night. A few years ago, I'd be used to this type of weather, but I acclimated to the winters down here and 31 degrees is extremely cold especially when you deal with 80 degrees during the day.

MythBuster

FYI- all of the attractions stayed open during the cold weather before we arrived. The water rides (rapids, splash) just lower the water levels so guests stay dry(ish). And for those brave enough to go to the water parks the water is well heated. It's getting out of the water that gets you.

They turn off the Splash Cannons and turn off the many geysers and effects, but they DO NOT lower the water level!!

Rabflmom

Has it ever snowed in Orlando?

Yes. In Jan. 1976 Orlando had snow on the ground till noon. My parents were visiting from Illinois that January and we went to the MK the day after it snowed.
Here on the coast we just got flurries in the middle of the night, but everyone was out in their yards in the middle of the nigh to show their kids snow.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Florida has the weirdest weather, I swear.

I sometimes think only NJ can outdo FL though. Tonight it is 13 degrees here with windchills below zero. By Sunday it will be in the high 50's again...which very unseasonably warm for NJ this time of year. If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes.

Jeff456

I remember when i used to live in Poland it would be about -31 in the day and we had to walk to school in it!

seabee1

lol I wonder how the folks who handle the 40 degrees weather in t shirts would handle days of 100+ degrees.

That is true. I think I would be disappointed not to have the nice warm FL air if I went down right now. But with the temps. hitting -17 last night, not counting the wind chill, and my yard looking like this...

P1040928.jpg

P1040927.jpg

I would still take it! Although, I must admit, we were there this past Oct. and the heat was brutal for us. While I am sure the "locals" were quite comfy.:p

Hopefully those that are vacationing are still getting all they can in!

dpunky

Although it will be quite cold (in Florida standards), it's better than enduring the 100 degree temps in humdity during the summer months.

I-4Warrior

So far here in CNY, we've made it all the way from 11.6 to today's current high of 8.4, and Floridians are complaining...

Flurries were observed on Volusia coast due to Ocean Effect snow. Many people might have scene on national news last February how my area had 141" of snow from lake effect. The same idea, just a different body of water.

What do they do with monorails?

Yes, some of us are complaining because 20s and 30s are such a bizarre occurance for us. Even in the dead of winter, we typically won't drop below the low 40s (at least in Pinellas). We're not used to it, so we'll voice displeasure. Sorry. Even though it's only ranging from 8.4 to 11.6 where you are, I'm quite certain that this is something that happens each winter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom