Closures due to cold weather

66Stella

I'll take the 30-40 degree weather at WDW compared to the 12 degrees it was here on L.I. this morning on my drive to work:eek: I do feel sorry for the many visitors this week...but I do read on several sites that January is the most iffy month for the weather in Orlando...so I guess it's a choice; take a chance with the weather and deal with little or no crowds, or go when the weather is warm and deal with crowds...either way any time at WDW is always a good time:D

al5957

I'll add my 2 cents of forecasting here.. Would rather be in the 30's and 40's than the -15 that i was in cleaning the two inches of snow off my car this morning. If it was in the 40's i would be in shorts. Its funny to see people come up from florida in the spring and its in the 40's and they have winter jackets and gloves on and all the locals (me included) have shorts and t shirts on.

KeeKee

This has happened in the past, and many of the citrus growers just threw in the towel and sold their farms to developers. There is a town not far away from me called Orange Park, but there are no orange groves (to speak of) left there. I also remember passing miles of orange groves in suburban Orlando when I first moved here in the early 80s; now they're subdivisions.

I remember this, too. We moved here in 1980 and worked at WDW from 1981 - 1986, so got to drive by LOTS of groves on the way to work. After the freezes of the early 80s, those groves just one-by-one turned into subdivisions.

Don't know if anybody remembers this, but the first hard freeze in, I think, 1983 devestated the foliage at WDW. They were removing dead, mushy plants by the flatbed truck load. It was horrible! I may not have the year right, but it was a terrible sight just the same.

jhastings74

I'd take 40 degrees in Florida over below 20 degrees in WV with 3-4 inches of snow. Of course...teachers don't get :sohappy:snow days:sohappy: in Florida!

Nope...but we have gotten 'Hurricane Preparation Days' before, especially in 2004 right after the new school year had just started...

Astro_Digital

Does Disney shut down rides too? Splash Mountain? Test Track? Kali River Rapids? I would imagine that only a few people would brave those rides on a day with low temps.

You crazy it is the 40s and it is winter.... I would love it.

Temperature in the 40s is hardly cold, just wear a light jacket.

I-4Warrior

I know to most northern-types, 20s-30s in January usually pulls out the "that's warm!!" responses (I should know, I escaped from New Hampshire to move here and would always razz the "soft" locals), but I'll tell you one thing, to someone who's now been in this amazing state for 14 years now, IT'S FREAKIN' COLD!!!! You know you're officially a Floridian when 1) you bundle up at 50 degrees as though you're stuck in Ice Station Zebra, and 2) you can wear jeans in the summer and not end up attached to an IV drip.

teebin

It is Jan 3, 2008. 4:30am and it is 27 Degrees on my front lawn right now... and I am 10 miles from WDW. My poor blanketed plants and palms are screaming right now.

FYI: Disney and Uni use a ton of these to keep the plants looking great in such weather:
http://www.heatershop.com/kerosene_forced_air_k650_fat.html

As a follow up... it finally got down to 25.5 degrees. I have literally hundreds of plants and palms and although some were covered others were not. Guess what... only 1% frost damage! The news said it was the high winds all through the night that kept plants from being damaged. I have had periods in the past where it got down to 28 for only 4 hours yet it was very still outside with no wind and tons of plants were ruined. The science of it all!

Figment82

You know, it's funny - I'm reading all these comments from people who say "I'd take 40 degrees anyday - that's light jacket and shorts weather, etc. etc." But I've noticed that the majority of people who absolutely freak out when it gets the slightest bit cold down here are the people from up north. There will be times when it will be 60 degrees at night, and I'll think it's very pleasant out. I'll meet people who rush into the stores to buy heavy sweatshirts for everyone in their family - and they'll be from places like New York. When I respond "it's not that cold" they always go "it is to us!"

I guess it's a matter of perspective and where you are at the time...

cnymike

So far here in CNY, we've made it all the way from 11.6 to today's current high of 8.4, and Floridians are complaining...

Flurries were observed on Volusia coast due to Ocean Effect snow. Many people might have scene on national news last February how my area had 141" of snow from lake effect. The same idea, just a different body of water.

What do they do with monorails?

Eyorefan

You know, it's funny - I'm reading all these comments from people who say "I'd take 40 degrees anyday - that's light jacket and shorts weather, etc. etc." But I've noticed that the majority of people who absolutely freak out when it gets the slightest bit cold down here are the people from up north. There will be times when it will be 60 degrees at night, and I'll think it's very pleasant out. I'll meet people who rush into the stores to buy heavy sweatshirts for everyone in their family - and they'll be from places like New York. When I respond "it's not that cold" they always go "it is to us!"

Maybe its because people in the South are used to dramatic temperature changes. I'm guessing in the North it's always cold, but down south it's very common to have a day that starts out in the 80s in the morning, but gets down to the 40s at night.

The Mom

Premium Member
Don't know if anybody remembers this, but the first hard freeze in, I think, 1983 devestated the foliage at WDW. They were removing dead, mushy plants by the flatbed truck load. It was horrible! I may not have the year right, but it was a terrible sight just the same.

It was 1983. I had a 12 week old infant, and had a terrible time getting the house warm enough. The heat pumps of that era were not very efficient when the temperatures fell below freezing. I also remember my washer outflow hose freezing; I ran a load of wash (see the second sentence :lol:) and it overflowed. I ended up sloooowly pouring warm into it to defrost it.

Then, Christmas of 1989 we had snow followed by cold (so it didn't melt immediately) and my neighbor's (out of town) pipes froze. They thought that leaving the thermostat at 60 would be enough to prevent it.

KeeKee

It was 1983. I had a 12 week old infant, and had a terrible time getting the house warm enough. The heat pumps of that era were not very efficient when the temperatures fell below freezing. I also remember my washer outflow hose freezing; I ran a load of wash (see the second sentence :lol:) and it overflowed. I ended up sloooowly pouring warm into it to defrost it.

Then, Christmas of 1989 we had snow followed by cold (so it didn't melt immediately) and my neighbor's (out of town) pipes froze. They thought that leaving the thermostat at 60 would be enough to prevent it.
Yes! We are very much equipped for the real cold weather here. I guess its not too big a price to pay for living in paradise, no?

But, I will never forget the loss of that beautiful palm tree that used to be behind SE. There are some nice palms there now, but the very first multi-headed palm that was directly behind it was SO lovely.

lawyergirl77

I've been in WDW when it was close to freezing and I tend to freak out and reach for the sweatshirt too. The problem is that, because I wasn't expecting the cold, I don't have any of my proper clothes for it and I can't brace for it as well. But give me my parka, boots and a good heater at home and I can deal with any temperature!! :lol:

My alternative therory - There is an invisible force field at the gate at MCO that thins my blood and skin so that I freeze more easily... *cough*

Oh and FWIW, it was -32 degrees (Celsius, Farenheit, whatever at that temp!) with the wind chill this morning when I put out the recycling and went to work. Brrrr.... Shallow breaths in order to keep from choking on the cold - good times!!

maryszhi

Wait it can snow in florida???? i new upper california b/c big bear lake, but florida??? Its cold here tooooo...........wishing i was somewhere warm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom