Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

HMF

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Although Future World has needed TLC for quite a few years, it does seem like Disney management is finally getting around to doing something about it. I haven't a clue how this will all end up, but I don't think they'll completely discard edu-tainment for either their long-term core fans, or newer fans,

It may not be the same EPCOT of the 80s and 90s, but don't completely write it off just yet.

I'd like to see them create a new attraction about the science of robotics--there are so many different applications they could present. Robotics could be a fascinating, learning experience, that I think would appeal to all ages. (The Disney animatronics aspect could also be a fun tie-in here.) There seems to be space available in the old WOL paviliion that they could utilize . . . ;)
I really hope you are right, but I have a bad feeling I really wish they would get the spine project started so I can get a feel for what they are planning. All this un-certainty is really getting to me.

MerlinTheGoat

Siemens recently renewed.
Does that mean anything though? Disney seems to being going full steam ahead on converting Great Movie Ride into a Mickey Mouse attraction, disregarding the very recent TCM sponsorship and prematurely terminating it. If Disney wanted to change SSE (particularly to something cheaper to operate and with an IP attached), i'm not sure if they would allow a sponsor to stop them anymore.

Though I hope your comment was meant to assure people that SSE is safe.

At least LWTL has a restaurant connecting it, and the greenhouse serves a somewhat constructive purpose (I assume they still make some use of what is grown in there). Chiquita currently seems to sponsor the ride.

FigmentForver96

Does that mean anything though? Disney seems to being going full steam ahead on converting Great Movie Ride into a Mickey Mouse attraction, terminating the TCM sponsorship early. If Disney wanted to change SSE (particularly to something cheaper to operate and with an IP attached), i'm not sure if they would allow a sponsor to stop them anymore.

At least LWTL has a restaurant connecting it, and the greenhouse serves a somewhat constructive purpose (I assume they still make some use of what is grown in there).
If they are bound to a contract with Siemens I can't imagine they can break it to change the ride any way they wish. Now if Siemens wanted to do it, well then it probably be full steam ahead. (Look at Kodak and Imagination)

MerlinTheGoat

If they are bound to a contract with Siemens I can't imagine they can break it to change the ride any way they wish. Now if Siemens wanted to do it, well then it probably be full steam ahead. (Look at Kodak and Imagination)
Well I brought up Disney terminating the contract with TCM on GMR in order to gut the ride and replace it with Mickey. Based on that, I assume that they can do the same with other sponsorships around property if they really want to. Unless the contracts for other rides are different and more binding than TCM's.

Haymarket2008

Does that mean anything though? Disney seems to being going full steam ahead on converting Great Movie Ride into a Mickey Mouse attraction, disregarding the very recent TCM sponsorship and prematurely terminating it. If Disney wanted to change SSE (particularly to something cheaper to operate and with an IP attached), i'm not sure if they would allow a sponsor to stop them anymore.

Though I hope your comment was meant to assure people that SSE is safe.

At least LWTL has a restaurant connecting it, and the greenhouse serves a somewhat constructive purpose (I assume they still make some use of what is grown in there). Chiquita currently seems to sponsor the ride.

I have the same fears you have, but I think (and hope) they know that Spaceship Earth is something that shouldn't be messed with. Regardless of what happens in future iterations of Future World, Spaceship Earth still makes thematic sense in the park. In tandem with World Showcase i.e. global communities, communication, working together etc.

As for LwtL, I seem to recall @MansionButler84 talking about the planned changes and how they were respectful and probably welcomed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well I brought up Disney terminating the contract with TCM on GMR in order to gut the ride and replace it with Mickey. Based on that, I assume that they can do the same with other sponsorships around property if they really want to. Unless the contracts for other rides are different and more binding than TCM's.
I can't say for sure if TCM were terminated.

britain

Well, thought I'd drop the latest word from Mr. Jim Hill on Len Testa's podcast - big grain of salt, yada yada:

He's saying one option is building Mission Breakout (the wild elevator attraction, not a coaster) behind Universe of Energy. UoE would perhaps be updated with a related / unrelated theme. DHS would keep its Tower as is.

I find it more likely that Hill is mishearing things. But it's an interesting idea. The only way you could say Marvel fits in Epcot is that it doesn't fit. The Collector has landed his ship/fortress there at Epcot, and is harvesting energy from the roof of UoE... eh, maybe?

Goob

Who is this Jim Hill? Does he really have any inside knowledge or does he take stuff from real insiders/Disney employees and pass them off as scoop?

I'm genuinely curious. I have no knowledge of his track record.

britain

He generally is a good resource for stories and anecdotes about Disney history, and in years past had good nuggets about using rumors. But it appears that for the past five years about, his rumor sources have either lost their accuracy or their access.

For example, after Spirit first put out the guardians tower rumor, Hill confirmed it, but said it would only be a temporary overlay, and that the up-and-down motions would be powered by Groot's vines.

Still, I have a soft spot for him because he shares genuinely entertaining yarns by everyone from Disney legends to background nobodies.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Well, thought I'd drop the latest word from Mr. Jim Hill on Len Testa's podcast - big grain of salt, yada yada:

He's saying one option is building Mission Breakout (the wild elevator attraction, not a coaster) behind Universe of Energy. UoE would perhaps be updated with a related / unrelated theme. DHS would keep its Tower as is.

I find it more likely that Hill is mishearing things. But it's an interesting idea. The only way you could say Marvel fits in Epcot is that it doesn't fit. The Collector has landed his ship/fortress there at Epcot, and is harvesting energy from the roof of UoE... eh, maybe?

I just......don't see that happening at all. If they build the exact same ride-system as Tower in Epcot, a few miles away from the real thing, then even is the point? They may as well just overlay Tower if that is the case. Doesn't make sense. And far too much money for a plan that could be a whole lot cheaper if they just destroyed DHS' tower.

HMF

I just......don't see that happening at all. If they build the exact same ride-system as Tower in Epcot, a few miles away from the real thing, then even is the point? They may as well just overlay Tower if that is the case. Doesn't make sense. And far too much money for a plan that could be a whole lot cheaper if they just destroyed DHS' tower.
It would also look very odd next to SSE. Worse than the wand did.

britain

It's definitely odd, but the two tower systems might be different ENOUGH? Maybe they could even be made more different?

Like how Space Mountain in Florida was very much WDW's Matterhorn (two-sided steel coaster, toboggan-style seating). Then they brought Space Mountain to DL and changed it enough that it wasn't perceived to be just the Matterhorn in the dark.

Body Wars and Star Tours co-existed for a while. I don't like the idea, I just see how it could maybe work.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It's definitely odd, but the two tower systems might be different ENOUGH? Maybe they could even be made more different?

Additionally, (and not saying I like/approve of the idea), but it leaves room for improvement. You certainly do not have to clone the DCA version 1:1 (and I wouldn't expect that they would). For starters, you make the building itself look more unique (and less like TOT). You build more room to have a queue that expands/better tells the story. You create a loading area and exit area that better fits the story. Instead of having just two "show areas"/screens in the tower shaft, you make a giant screen that extends the entire length of the shaft. You possibly change the ride vehicles, maybe they rotate 360 degrees within the shaft to allow for show scenes on all sides of you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom