Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't know why I am asking this but is the current AC system 94 or 82 vintage and a more substantial question Will this be as drastic a change as Communicore to Innoventions was or even more so?
Drastic change. Probably.

deeevo

So the TOT possibly becoming GOTG made our local news here in Tampa this morning. Wow... slow news morning.

Movielover

Clearly this new AC will go against the vision of the future that Walt wanted, therefore I will not be visiting WDW ever again. I will also be burning everything that I own with the Disney name on it (holy $@*% that's a lot of stuff), and start a personal witch hunt for the heads of senior management the likes of which have never been seen since Tommy lee Jones chased down Harrison Ford...

No Name

Well, thought I'd drop the latest word from Mr. Jim Hill on Len Testa's podcast - big grain of salt, yada yada:

He's saying one option is building Mission Breakout (the wild elevator attraction, not a coaster) behind Universe of Energy. UoE would perhaps be updated with a related / unrelated theme. DHS would keep its Tower as is.

I find it more likely that Hill is mishearing things. But it's an interesting idea. The only way you could say Marvel fits in Epcot is that it doesn't fit. The Collector has landed his ship/fortress there at Epcot, and is harvesting energy from the roof of UoE... eh, maybe?

That would be bizarre. But for some strange reason I don't hate the idea.

If they build something new for GotG (as opposed to an overlay), there's no logical reason to copy what DCA has.

Their logical reason is probably that DCA's ride has gotten very positive reviews. Rather than spend the money on designing something new for Epcot and be uncertain as to how guests will like it, they can just import the successful Mission Breakout.

Who is this Jim Hill? Does he really have any inside knowledge or does he take stuff from real insiders/Disney employees and pass them off as scoop?

I'm genuinely curious. I have no knowledge of his track record.

He gets a few things correct. For example, he was the first to say that a Jungle Book show would be performed on the lake at DAK last summer while they were fixing RoL's problems, and he was correct.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Bob Chapek said that DHS's Tower would not get the Guardians' retheme.

And because of the differences is the ride systems, DCA's Mission Breakout actually wouldn't work with DHS's tower. It would have to be very very different.
So they would build a clone of the DCA's Mission Breakout in Epcot instead of making changes to fit the system in ToT? Well thanks for clearing up my question.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Would be a much bigger job to swap WDW version over tho due to its differences.
So it would take longer than the 12 months DCA took to swap out Tot to a Guardians Mission? Couldn't they add newer elements to Mission Breakout in DHS for those differences? I'm just thinking that after TSL opens next Spring, they could close RnR and ToT for a guardians and Dr. Strange overlays for the areas and maybe have that up and running around the time SWL opens. And to what is coming in UOE and behind, sounds to be a big job.

Biff215

Their logical reason is probably that DCA's ride has gotten very positive reviews. Rather than spend the money on designing something new for Epcot and be uncertain as to how guests will like it, they can just import the successful Mission Breakout.

But I said logical. Despite positive reviews, building a second tower ride that close to DHS makes zero sense. As bad as the sight lines are now in DCA, they would be far worse in Epcot. As much as I want to keep ToT, this potential plan, if true, might actually be worse.

No Name

His underlings said the same thing about the DCA Tower of Terror.

Well there's a difference between a customer service CM responding that way to individual calls and emails, and the head of Parks and Resorts declaring that the ToT wouldn't be lost to the Guardians in front of a large audience at a fan convention.

If your point is that he could theoretically go back on his word, then yes, agree.

But I said logical. Despite positive reviews, building a second tower ride that close to DHS makes zero sense. As bad as the sight lines are now in DCA, they would be far worse in Epcot. As much as I want to keep ToT, this potential plan, if true, might actually be worse.

See, your "logic" is different from The Walt Disney Company's logic. You are concerned about sight lines moreso than financials. The execs are concerned about financials moreso than sight lines. Different perspectives.

Kman101

We've been told the Tower is safe, by our insiders. So as of now, it's not going anywhere (unless someone has something they'd like to share ...) As for the future, who knows what they do? Suits do lie all the time. Not like Disney hasn't told us one thing and done another the very next day. But until the insiders state otherwise, I'm not going to wring my hands over this and worry about a retheme. But I'd feel better if had confirmation GOTG was going somewhere for sure and they were actually starting on it.

Biff215

Well there's a difference between a customer service CM responding that way to individual calls and emails, and the head of Parks and Resorts declaring that the ToT wouldn't be lost to the Guardians in front of a large audience at a fan convention.

If your point is that he could theoretically go back on his word, then yes, agree.

See, your "logic" is different from The Walt Disney Company's logic. You are concerned about sight lines moreso than financials. The execs are concerned about financials moreso than sight lines. Different perspectives.
True, but I'm arguing more than just sightlines. Building the same ride system/building a short bus/boat ride away makes no sense. I don't believe this rumor a single bit, even though I should probably know better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom