Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Haymarket2008

Ha! Think of it this way: It's the only way to guarantee that they won't ever retheme DHS' Tower of Terror to GotG! :D

The silver lining is his wording that DHS' Tower is a "hands off" situation. But Guardians Breakout is a HORRIBLE addition to Epcot. Maybe the proposed Guardians coaster in Energy was a variation of the Mission: Breakout story, just not a drop tower? Put that crap in DHS where it belongs.

Biff215

Well, thought I'd drop the latest word from Mr. Jim Hill on Len Testa's podcast - big grain of salt, yada yada:

He's saying one option is building Mission Breakout (the wild elevator attraction, not a coaster) behind Universe of Energy. UoE would perhaps be updated with a related / unrelated theme. DHS would keep its Tower as is.

I find it more likely that Hill is mishearing things. But it's an interesting idea. The only way you could say Marvel fits in Epcot is that it doesn't fit. The Collector has landed his ship/fortress there at Epcot, and is harvesting energy from the roof of UoE... eh, maybe?
That one is ridiculous sounding, even coming from Jim Hill. If they build something new for GotG (as opposed to an overlay), there's no logical reason to copy what DCA has. It would be similar to building WDW's Pirates in CA with a different theme. And that's not even getting into the placement at the front of the park. Martin has mentioned a new building that could be hidden behind the existing UoE building, that makes much more sense.

Tavernacle12

If they add Mission Breakout to Epcot is there anyway to adjust the ride mechanism so it doesn't have to be as tall, or so it could be simulated drops instead of actual ones? That could keep the height down, and stop it from being an eyesore.

britain

That one is ridiculous sounding, even coming from Jim Hill. If they build something new for GotG (as opposed to an overlay), there's no logical reason to copy what DCA has. It would be similar to building WDW's Pirates in CA with a different theme. And that's not even getting into the placement at the front of the park. Martin has mentioned a new building that could be hidden behind the existing UoE building, that makes much more sense.

I'll take a Disneyland copy of WDW's Pirates themed to a western river. :)

montyz81

The silver lining is his wording that DHS' Tower is a "hands off" situation. But Guardians Breakout is a HORRIBLE addition to Epcot. Maybe the proposed Guardians coaster in Energy was a variation of the Mission: Breakout story, just not a drop tower? Put that crap in DHS where it belongs.
I'll finish this for you; "and leave Epcot alone" At the very least, get the theme back in order to the 1982 standard.

rioriz

i thought i heard that concept art floating around did feature the Collectotrs Palace "like" structure from DCA behind what is now Energy...?

i could see the breakout theme transfering even if in coaster form?

Probably already built two Rocket AA's lol

Kman101

Now I'd rather have had the coaster (I guess....? LOL). Man. I'm starting to dread what we end up with.

prfctlyximprct

There's no way this could be true. Seriously?!?

Wasn't there some Western ride or geyser ride or something where it was opposite of tower of terror and the rider would be shooting upwards? What did this building look like??

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
But why would they build a Tower of Guardians in Epcot instead of using the one in DHS?

The design of the Orlando tower wouldn't mesh well with the concept used in in DCA. The attraction at DCA heavily utilizes projection screens in recessed hallways in the main drop tower (something that was easy to implement based on the design of the tower). The Orlando tower has no such option in its main drop shafts which would dramatically change how the story would need to be told. Could it be done? Maybe, but I don't think the execution would be anywhere near as effective as it is at DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom