Chicken Strips Gone from the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcdisney

Many food changes

We just returned from our annual trip and many of the foods had changed. We didn't notice the strip/nugget issue because we aren't big strip eaters BUT the good news is that for nugget eaters the new nuggets are now all white meat which my kids vastly preferred. The mac and cheese was awful a few places still had the old kind but it was hit or miss. I'm guessing like the strips it's a gradual change of using up supply. Many places have started serving whole grain pasta which just doesn't taste the same at all. All of the places that serve the round plate sized pizza (pizzafari, pizza planet, resorts) and the large resort and buffet pizzas have switched to a multigrain crust. This crust has flax seeds and sunflower seeds in it so it is full of little lumps and for anyone with nut allergies it is not safe from cross contam due to the stupid seeds. Buns and breads have also switched to a similar multigrain yuck. The kids meals in general were better than last year but it was very hit or miss trying to avoid some of the multigrain stuff. The kids sections on buffets had baked chicken rather than nuggets most places now as well.

sublimesting

Soo, have you read the thread or, (and please tell me this is the case) were you just skimming and you completely missed these replies, which a lovely poster gathered earlier and saved me the time...

As someone who ONLY eats chicken of a stripped or nuggeted variety, let me shed some light on this change. The new chicken isn't a "nugget" style like they imply. It actully tastes just like the old chicken strips, except instead of three big planks, it's six "mini-strips". Tastes the same, but smaller and more of them. Whilst I prefer the old style, the new ones aren't so bad.

Just to be sure- they ARE still fried. they still taste pretty much the SAME. (from one who's favorite food is the chicken strip, trust me. still taste pretty much the same.)

And yes, it's everywhere now.

No no, they're not the same as the Kids' nuggets, they're just called nuggets because of the size. Imagine if you cut a chicken strip in 1/2 and called it a nugget. That's what it is.

I have had the "nuggets" at Cosmic Rays. They look and taste the same as the "strips" only they were smaller.

When we were there last weekend, we got the "nuggets" at the Liberty Inn in Epcot. Really, it's not any significant difference. Honest. It's not actual little "nugget" shaped, small, bite-sized pieces, it's like the exact same chicken strip just cut in two. It's half the size of what it was before, but you get twice as many.

I didn't think it was any huge change, but it might be cheaper since they need smaller cuts of chicken to make these new "nuggets" instead of the strips.

Look everybody, as one who has a 1 to 5 scale on how good a restaraunt's chicken strips are, (I told you, in the manner of tasting new Chicken Strips at WDW, I AM the EXPERT.) all I can say is: DON'T PANIC. Whilst I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in loving a good chicken strip, it's not that big of a change. They taste 99.2% like the old one. In fact, I actully liked the last batch I had (Liberty Inn) better than the old ones.

And also, I have to throw in my two cents as a parent as well. A "picky eater" is more a function of the parent than the child. I have done my best to foster a spirit of adventure with my daughter, and any time we go out to eat, I have been pleasantly surprised at the things she is willing to try, perhaps because I put my foot down on feeding her the same things every day. At the age of 2 1/2, she has been exposed to, and enjoyed, foods I didn't appreciate until my teenage years. I would like to think its because when she demanded certain types of food everyday, I didn't cave in to the whole "Chicken Strips and French Fries" every day.

Of course I didn't read the whole thread, I can't read 180+ posts about chicken nuggets I have a job to do. As an interesting side note, the reason kids do not like vegetables is because their taste buds are more developed than ours and the bitterness of the vegetable is greatly enhanced to them. As adults we don't notice this so it's great that your daughter is willing to try a variety of things...it is very adventurous.

Enderikari

Of course I didn't read the whole thread, I can't read 180+ posts about chicken nuggets I have a job to do.

So, in other words, you jumped into a conversation to vehemently condemn Disney without having A: Personal Experience with the changes mentioned, or B: Fully understanding what was truly going on.

When you say things like
This is an example of Disney taking the cheap way out.
...in other words they're garbage and cheap as h**l as oppossed to white meat chicken strips.

I would hope you have some inkling about what you are saying.

Phonedave

You never encountered a child like me because when I was little I would have starved myself rather than eat something I didn't like and there was no bargaining with me about having dessert because I would have said "I didn't want it anyway."

Battle of the wills. :)

There is no bargining with kids, since when did the family unit become a democracy? Sorry, but I am a benevolent despot. Untill you are old enough, my way is law. Sure we can talk and you can ask for things, and there is give and take, but in the end, I am King :)

It's simple, these are the food choices that are available, if you don't want any, then the next meal is at breakfast.

It's interesting, because I am sitting here typing this and I just flashbacked to my interview to get into this company over 11 years ago. At that time I was intereviewing as a field foreman. They asked the question "one of your workers complains to you that that assignments he has are the unfavorable ones, at that others are getting all the "good" assignments" what do you say to him. My answer was "This is the work i have for you, if you don't want to do it, you can go home, but don't expect to be paid". Interview panel loved that answer. I just found that pretty interesting.

-dave

Enderikari

There is no bargining with kids, since when did the family unit become a democracy? Sorry, but I am a benevolent despot. Untill you are old enough, my way is law. Sure we can talk and you can ask for things, and there is give and take, but in the end, I am King :)

It's simple, these are the food choices that are available, if you don't want any, then the next meal is at breakfast.

It's interesting, because I am sitting here typing this and I just flashbacked to my interview to get into this company over 11 years ago. At that time I was intereviewing as a field foreman. They asked the question "one of your workers complains to you that that assignments he has are the unfavorable ones, at that others are getting all the "good" assignments" what do you say to him. My answer was "This is the work i have for you, if you don't want to do it, you can go home, but don't expect to be paid". Interview panel loved that answer. I just found that pretty interesting.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thank god there are still people like that in the world. Children are amazing, little wonders and I love everyday being a parent. But, when worst comes to worst, I can open their eyes to new things, because I have the past experience they lack. And though every two year old is as stubborn as a mule, I can be stubborner (is that a word). And it is my job as a parent to introduce them to new things and not let them fall back on the old stand-bys simply because it is easier than fighting with them

lilclerk

You never encountered a child like me because when I was little I would have starved myself rather than eat something I didn't like and there was no bargaining with me about having dessert because I would have said "I didn't want it anyway."
Ha, I was the same way. When my mom finally gave up, I started trying other things. I don't always like them, but I'll at least try now. I just didn't want to be pushed into it.

For real, this is sad. I hate quick service burgers, so chicken strips were usually next on the menu. If these "nuggets" are processed chicken, and the mac & cheese is no good, I'm so out. I'll have to check out some menus to find some new places to try or live on fries for a week. Or just go to AK every day for some Flame Tree BBQ.

And I agree with whoever said the strips in DL weren't anywhere near as good as WDW's. The ones I had at the Diamond Horseshoe were soggy and not at all appealing.

Phonedave

Burgers will probably be next!!
:fork:

Actually, the last time I was at WDW, the fries at Pecos Bill's really were bad. I actually thought Disney needed to dump their brand and just go with McD's fries resort wide.

Perhaps just a bad batch of oil that day? However, I've had bad burgers, on occasion, at WDW too.
:shrug:

Bad oil may indeed be the case. Trans-fat which is solid at room temp turns liquid when you heat it, and is a lot "sturdier" than non-trans fats. It has a longer shelf life and goes rancid a lot slower. You can also get more friy cycles out of it before it begins to break down.

Deep frying with non-trans fats requires a change in oil schdules in the fryers.

It is very possible that they are still getting used to cooking with non-trans fats.

-dave

dpunky

Just got through reading all the posts to this topic :)

I don't think this was a good idea for WDW to get rid of the chicken strip and replace them with a modified chicken nugget/chunk. I'm wondering if they got rid of this in the Pop Century/All Star Food Courts too? I liked getting these there when I needed a quick break from the parks.

sublimesting

So, in other words, you jumped into a conversation to vehemently condemn Disney without having A: Personal Experience with the changes mentioned, or B: Fully understanding what was truly going on.

When you say things like

I would hope you have some inkling about what you are saying.

1. Since you wanna fight with everyone, I expect to see a posting from you to everyone on here that stated that nuggets are crappy, including the poster that posted at 11:55 so that you may correct them.

2. If you carefully read I said nuggets are "usually" processed. As these are called nuggets, the conotation brought to mind is that they are processed.

3. Smaller pieces are cheaper than a whole strip of chicken breast as whole strips are premium meat and can be sold for more whereas nuggets sizes can be trimmed off of the ends of and be byproducts of processing other chicken products. Not that they aren't as good of a meat but they are cheaper.

4. I will be very intersted to see how 6 nuggets weigh out vs a strip.

5. Usually when a business makes a change it is to the economic interest of the business. Business does not care one bit about you, or your feelings unless it impacts them. The bottom line is and always will be money plain and simple. Do you think Disney made the change to nuggets based on consumer requests? Absolutely NOT, they made the change to save $.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just came back from the world and I had chicken strips at the Backlot Express one night, but that was the only place I saw them, otherwise it was nuggets. Not big deal to me, they tasted the same, it actually felt like I was getting more food with the nuggets.

hokielutz

I really find it amazing that this has gone on for 14 pages... but I guess some are very passionate about their chicken.

So, in summary, Disney did not get rid of fried chicken strips all together, like the title suggests. They just changed them so the strips are smaller slabs of white meat chicken?

I'm sure it is cheaper to produce chicken strips in this format because you don't need large pieces of chicken meat to cut them from. You can use all sizes of white chicken meat.

Personally, I did like the large pieces of chicken, but I'll reserve judgement until my possible September or December trip.

maggiegrace1

I do not get why people are still complaining when Rainfully went and tried these "new" chicken strips/nuggets and said they are still the SAME just smaller strips!!..

She even posted the picture of them.

So you are still getting the same food just smaller strips...

I read a post here that said all the pizzas and such are now on multigrain bread.... do they have any regular dough? My daughter does not eat nuts, and I do not want to find out on a disney vacation that she has a nut allergy.... do they have warnings about this?

thanks....

UKMickeyFan

I can't believe this! I look forward to my first chicken strip meal when I arrive at WDW, coming from the UK where it is not so easy to find great food like this - I am so disappointed, I don't think I can bring myself to visit this year.
Bring back the strips!

Phonedave

And it sounds like, rather than having to use a whole tender for each strip, maybe they are using chicken cut into pieces and then prepared the same way.

That IS a "tender"

There is no such part of a bird known as a "tender" - Its not that smaller piece that is attached to the breast. Yes that is a tender, but its not the only tender in the bird.

Tenders are simply slices of boneless skinless breast. As far as I know, there is no "law" governing what constitutes the minimum size for a tender. Nobody says the slices have to be lengthwise. Cut them on the bias if you want.

And there is no waste. If you are processing tenders and you have some scraps, that becomes popcorn ckicken, or ground chicken, or ...... hot dogs.

Here are where your tenders come from

http://www.primeequipmentgroup.com/products/ps-7.asp

notice the copy attached.

Improves utilization of man power
• Offers consistent lengths & shapes
• Available for on-line or off-line applications
• Low cost of ownership
• Simple, compact design

Consistent size and shape. A tender is not a "natural" part of the bird. Its just a cut up breast, cut into whatever size and shape the processing plant so desires.

-dave

Hrudey3032

I can't believe this! I look forward to my first chicken strip meal when I arrive at WDW, coming from the UK where it is not so easy to find great food like this - I am so disappointed, I don't think I can bring myself to visit this year.
Bring back the strips!

Your kidding right??? You aren't going to fly across the ocean due to Disney changing chicken strips??Please tell me that was tongue in cheek there.

Wilt Dasney

NewsNow.MegAnchor.jpg

ACF5812.jpg

"We go live now to Sharon Rodriguez, on-site at World Showcase, for the latest on what's been dubbed ChickStrip Crisis '08. Sharon?"

"Thanks, Holly. As this national trauma stretches into a third day, the mood of distress here is palpable. No fewer than 12 screaming children have run past our camera crew this morning, wailing and insisting that life has lost all meaning. The loss of morale among theme park workers still resonates from the tragic murder-suicide in front of the Peter Pan ride yesterday, during which the gunman unleashed an obscenity-laced tirade about 'the processed garbage'...and we now hear rumblings that a massive food service employees' walk-out could take place at 4 this afternoon."

"Sharon, what if anything is being done to reverse this tragic tide?"

"Holly, I talked with a high-ranking member of Disney management earlier who asked not to be identified. She told me that they expect things to return to normal in a few days, but several lower-level employees have said there may be no recovering from this blow for the chicken-eating community, and by extension, the entire country. '9/11, Iraq, the recession...we could handle them all,' one cart vendor on Main Street told me. But then she added, 'This is too much. America will never be the same.'"

"Sharon, you mentioned a possible food service walk-out. If that happens, how will people receive yummy Dole Whips and other magical Disney taste treats?"

"Holly, that would obviously be a big challenge for Disney, and all of America. As I understand, the president has cut short his tour of Africa to fly home and arrange an emergency press conference, which I've been told will take place within hours. Some are saying that he may in fact forbid the food service workers from walking out, in a distant echo of the air traffic controllers' clash with Pres. Reagan some 20 years ago."

"Sharon, what about the rumors of widespread looting and arson in Animal Kingdom in reaction to the chicken situation?"

"Holly, we have unfortunately not been able to enter Animal Kingdom at all. All we can tell you is that there is a giant smoke cloud enveloping the entire park and Disney has tried to restrict all access to and from the area. We of course heard about the escaped rhino who caused a massive pile-up during rush hour yesterday afternoon. Based on what we're hearing, escaped rhinos could just be the tip of the iceberg when Animal Kingdom is finally safe to venture into."

"Sharon Rodriguez, bringing us the latest developments as the nation mourns the loss of its beloved chicken strips. Sharon, stay safe out there. In other news, taking your puppy to the nice, warm beach could cost you some cold, hard cash, if a proposed regulation being debated by Orange County commissioners becomes a reality..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom