Chicken Strips Gone from the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigsmom

That IS a "tender"

There is no such part of a bird known as a "tender" - Its not that smaller piece that is attached to the breast. Yes that is a tender, but its not the only tender in the bird.

Tenders are simply slices of boneless skinless breast. As far as I know, there is no "law" governing what constitutes the minimum size for a tender. Nobody says the slices have to be lengthwise. Cut them on the bias if you want.

And there is no waste. If you are processing tenders and you have some scraps, that becomes popcorn ckicken, or ground chicken, or ...... hot dogs.

-dave

The word "tender" is short for tenderloin and that is located on the back of the chicken breast next to the backbone. It can be removed in one piece and thats what most people are referring to, it is all white meat. Yes, you can cut the white meat to the same shape, but it is technically not the same... a strip, not a tenderloin.

And that comes straight from a professional butcher.

tigsmom

NewsNow.MegAnchor.jpg

ACF5812.jpg

"We go live now to Sharon Rodriguez, on-site at World Showcase, for the latest on what's been dubbed ChickStrip Crisis '08. Sharon?"

"Thanks, Holly. As this national trauma stretches into a third day, the mood of distress here is palpable. No fewer than 12 screaming children have run past our camera crew this morning, wailing and insisting that life has lost all meaning. The loss of morale among theme park workers still resonates from the tragic murder-suicide in front of the Peter Pan ride yesterday, during which the gunman unleashed an obscenity-laced tirade about 'the processed garbage'...and we now hear rumblings that a massive food service employees' walk-out could take place at 4 this afternoon."

"Sharon, what if anything is being done to reverse this tragic tide?"

"Holly, I talked with a high-ranking member of Disney management earlier who asked not to be identified. She told me that they expect things to return to normal in a few days, but several lower-level employees have said there may be no recovering from this blow for the chicken-eating community, and by extension, the entire country. '9/11, Iraq, the recession...we could handle them all,' one cart vendor on Main Street told me. But then she added, 'This is too much. America will never be the same.'"

"Sharon, you mentioned a possible food service walk-out. If that happens, how will people receive yummy Dole Whips and other magical Disney taste treats?"

"Holly, that would obviously be a big challenge for Disney, and all of America. As I understand, the president has cut short his tour of Africa to fly home and arrange an emergency press conference, which I've been told will take place within hours. Some are saying that he may in fact forbid the food service workers from walking out, in a distant echo of the air traffic controllers' clash with Pres. Reagan some 20 years ago."

"Sharon, what about the rumors of widespread looting and arson in Animal Kingdom in reaction to the chicken situation?"

"Holly, we have unfortunately not been able to enter Animal Kingdom at all. All we can tell you is that there is a giant smoke cloud enveloping the entire park and Disney has tried to restrict all access to and from the area. We of course heard about the escaped rhino who caused a massive pile-up during rush hour yesterday afternoon. Based on what we're hearing, escaped rhinos could just be the tip of the iceberg when Animal Kingdom is finally safe to venture into."

"Sharon Rodriguez, bringing us the latest developments as the nation mourns the loss of its beloved chicken strips. Sharon, stay safe out there. In other news, taking your puppy to the nice, warm beach could cost you some cold, hard cash, if a proposed regulation being debated by Orange County commissioners becomes a reality..."

OMG!!
super_smilies007.gif

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
NewsNow.MegAnchor.jpg

ACF5812.jpg

"We go live now to Sharon Rodriguez, on-site at World Showcase, for the latest on what's been dubbed ChickStrip Crisis '08. Sharon?"

"Thanks, Holly. As this national trauma stretches into a third day, the mood of distress here is palpable. No fewer than 12 screaming children have run past our camera crew this morning, wailing and insisting that life has lost all meaning. The loss of morale among theme park workers still resonates from the tragic murder-suicide in front of the Peter Pan ride yesterday, during which the gunman unleashed an obscenity-laced tirade about 'the processed garbage'...and we now hear rumblings that a massive food service employees' walk-out could take place at 4 this afternoon."

"Holly, I talked with a high-ranking member of Disney management earlier who asked not to be identified. She told me that they expect things to return to normal in a few days, but several lower-level employees have said there may be no recovering from this blow for the chicken-eating community, and by extension, the entire country. '9/11, Iraq, the recession...we could handle them all,' one cart vendor on Main Street told me. But then she added, 'This is too much. America will never be the same.'"

"Sharon, you mentioned a possible food service walk-out. If that happens, how will people receive yummy Dole Whips and other magical Disney taste treats?"

"Holly, that would obviously be a big challenge for Disney, and all of America. As I understand, the president has cut short his tour of Africa to fly home and arrange an emergency press conference, which I've been told will take place within hours. Some are saying that he may in fact forbid the food service workers from walking out, in a distant echo of the air traffic controllers' clash with Pres. Reagan some 20 years ago."

"Sharon, what about the rumors of widespread looting and arson in Animal Kingdom in reaction to the chicken situation?"

"Holly, we have unfortunately not been able to enter Animal Kingdom at all. All we can tell you is that there is a giant smoke cloud enveloping the entire park and Disney has tried to restrict all access to and from the area. We of course heard about the escaped rhino who caused a massive pile-up during rush hour yesterday afternoon. Based on what we're hearing, escaped rhinos could just be the tip of the iceberg when Animal Kingdom is finally safe to venture into."

"Sharon Rodriguez, bringing us the latest developments as the nation mourns the loss of its beloved chicken strips. Sharon, stay safe out there. In other news, taking your puppy to the nice, warm beach could cost you some cold, hard cash, if a proposed regulation being debated by Orange County commissioners becomes a reality..."

Bravo!

donvincenzo

I hope they really do taste the same because the strips were definitely my favorite counter service meal to get. I'd get them at the parks, I'd get them at my resort, I'd even push little kids out of the way at the kids' section of buffets.... (joking.................sorta :lookaroun)

Enderikari

1. Since you wanna fight with everyone, I expect to see a posting from you to everyone on here that stated that nuggets are crappy, including the poster that posted at 11:55 so that you may correct them.
See, that's the greatest misconception about me. I don't like to start fights, I hate arguing. However, I do feel the need to point out when people make unfounded, illogical arguments, and I also don't feel any compunctions about telling people that they are wrong. Problem is, in the world today, NOBODY likes being told they are wrong, no matter how appropriate it may be. And, when someone would rather fight me, than accept the fact that they are wrong, it tends to spiral down. If you were to say, "I don't think I will enjoy these nuggets of chicken as much as I would enjoy the full strips." I would have no problem. People can have opinions, and I accept that they may differ than mine. Its the point at which those opinions are presented as fact, with additional, unsupported evidence to grandiose predictions... that's when I step in.

2. If you carefully read I said nuggets are "usually" processed. As these are called nuggets, the conotation brought to mind is that they are processed.
So you assumed... No problem with that either, problem is, when reality contradicts your assumption, don't fight tooth and nail to protect your assumption from the truth. If your assumption was that they were processed, then Rain showed you a picture of the unprocessed nugget, with testimony towards it being real meat; that's when you get to change your mind. It shows character to accept and admit when you are wrong.

3. Smaller pieces are cheaper than a whole strip of chicken breast as whole strips are premium meat and can be sold for more whereas nuggets sizes can be trimmed off of the ends of and be byproducts of processing other chicken products. Not that they aren't as good of a meat but they are cheaper.
Cheaper, sure. But the question remains whether or not quality was sacrificed for cash. Since Disney didn't go the processed nugget route, and since many testimonies here state that you receive about the same quantity, then who is to fault Disney for trying to save a little money. Don't forget that their are 60,000 people at WDW looking for a paycheck, on top of all the other operating costs. If you owned a business, and had the oppurtunity to save money, without sacrificing quality, you would be crazy not to go for it.

4. I will be very intersted to see how 6 nuggets weigh out vs a strip.
Good, thats wanting empirical evidence, I can get behind that. Another fun point though, for those of us who always wanted an extra strip, there is now the choice between a 6 piece or 8 piece meal.

5. Usually when a business makes a change it is to the economic interest of the business. Business does not care one bit about you, or your feelings unless it impacts them. The bottom line is and always will be money plain and simple. Do you think Disney made the change to nuggets based on consumer requests? Absolutely NOT, they made the change to save $.

See above. #3

Enderikari

Ha, I was the same way. When my mom finally gave up, I started trying other things. I don't always like them, but I'll at least try now. I just didn't want to be pushed into it.

For real, this is sad. I hate quick service burgers, so chicken strips were usually next on the menu. If these "nuggets" are processed chicken, and the mac & cheese is no good, I'm so out. I'll have to check out some menus to find some new places to try or live on fries for a week. Or just go to AK every day for some Flame Tree BBQ.

And I agree with whoever said the strips in DL weren't anywhere near as good as WDW's. The ones I had at the Diamond Horseshoe were soggy and not at all appealing.

Sorry for quoting you, I was supposed to disagree with you somewhere around here... But I can't see where.

I do agree that DL's strips aren't as good. But they make up for it by having soups in bread bowls, and salads in bread bowls (Boudin Bakery, YUM!), and the Disneyland Mint Julep, which I personally adore. Everytime I go to Disneyland, I am pleasantly surprised by their quick service options, but that may be a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

MsSnuzi

Classic!
cheerleader.gif

dandaman

...So, if they were replaced with human fingers, everyone'd be cool with that, right? I mean, those things are 100% Soylent Green... oh, they're processed? Who cares? They're still awesome.

Processed fingers: they're cannibalicious!

PrincessMiko

Wow, I didn't realize the chicken strips had such a cult following! I've always liked them, but definately not as much as some other posters! To me they were always an easy fall back when I was having a hard time deciding what to eat or couldn't stand the thought of a big, greasy hamburger. I'm thankful that they are offering a comparable alternative, therefore not forcing me to eat nothing but funnel cakes and hot dogs when I want something quick!

I can't help it...my 2 cents...I can't stand hearing about parents who let their children dictate how things are going to be. God gave children parents for a reason...

And, I'm done! :goodnevil

maggiegrace1

I think your nose is growing :ROFLOL:
No I do not think it is.

To me he is stating what he knows to be true..and people just seem to take it the wrong way or they do not like what he says so they get annoyed and then he responds.

I think he usually knows what he is talking about and from reading his posts over the past 2 years I have been here he.. is very passionate about Disney and knows a lot more then people give him credit for.:shrug:

Fun2BFree

Here is a letter i just wrote and am sending to the different higher ups at disney:
Dear Disney,
I am writing you in response of your pulling of chicken tenders from your menu. I understand you are trying to make the World healthier, however I urge you to please reconsider what you are doing. Not everybody wants to eat healthy on vacation. I think you should have your original food with original recipe, as well as a healthy menu made for the health conscious traveler. I also suggest making children portions of regular menus because some kids like it, however parents do not want to pay for an adult portion. I hope you change soon because it seems to me like people are not happy about the change and are going to eat outside the property. I think that if you change, more people will eat at the world. Also I think you need to think about price to. It has gotten ridiculous for everything. I understand you want to make money, however I think you should make Disney more accessible to everybody. I have and continue to visit and stay on property at Disney owned hotels, however not every body can afford it. Everybody deserves to visit a Disney Park at least once in their life, however people cannot, especially the price. So make every person who wants to go to Disney be able to come and make magical memories that will last a life time, held true by the Disney standard.

I sincerely hope you can change some things that I am sure would draw more people and satisfy guests needs.

Respectfully submitted,
Mary Catherine

With no disrespect, Disney have only changed the strips to nuggets, mostly just increasing the number of nuggets whilst making the size of the nuggets smaller. The decision has next to nothing to do with making them healthier, and several board members have reported that the taste of the nuggets is near-identical to the strips. There isn't really much of a fuss... certainly not 16 pages worth of fuss. People eat at many counter-service locations because of convenience; if one is hungry but doesn't wish to leave the park for an extended amount of time, one eats at a counter-service location. Eating off-property wastes precious vacation time whilst theme-parking. :shrug:

Phonedave

The word "tender" is short for tenderloin and that is located on the back of the chicken breast next to the backbone. It can be removed in one piece and thats what most people are referring to, it is all white meat. Yes, you can cut the white meat to the same shape, but it is technically not the same... a strip, not a tenderloin.

And that comes straight from a professional butcher.

I don't doubt this is what your local butcher goes by, but the fact is, there really are no facts. I used to work in a grocery store many years ago. On occassion I helped in the meat room, doing simple tasks - making ground beef (just ask how we determined fat content), cutting london broils and rounds, and cutting overstocks of S&B chicken breast into "tenders" and packaging them as such.

This is the same reason why a New York strip steak is also a shell steak, or a plain ol' "strip steak"

Don't even get into minute steaks, depending on where you are in the US, those can be two or three entirely differnt parts of the cow.

Here is the "offical" stance on on poultry tender(loins), from http://www.practicallyedible.com/ed.../edible.nsf/pages/chickentenders!opendocument

Chicken Tenders

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines, for its own internal use, a poultry Tender as any strip of breast meat from the bird indicated (e.g. a Chicken Tender). This makes it the same as a Chicken Breast Strip.

The USDA defines a poultry Tenderloin as "the inner pectoral muscle which lies alongside the sternum of the kind of poultry indicated." Which is to say, a strip of muscle that runs along the inside of the breast, the part of the breast closest to the bone. It separates easily from the rest of the breast. It has a tendon running through it. The tendon is basically gristle that needs to be removed and discarded.

Neither "Chicken Tender" nor "Chicken Tenderloin", however, are official, enforced terms so there is much confusion. The USDA says "The terms tender and tenderloin have been used for a number of years for muscles from the breast without a clear-cut definition to distinguish between the two. The policy stated above appears to be what is being done in general practice."

A Chicken Tender can even be ground chicken that is formed into a strip and breaded and cooked. Such "Chicken Tenders" are often sold at restaurants these days. This is very far from the USDA's attempted definition, but again, the USDA definition isn't enforced.

Sometimes you will see Chicken Tenderloins being sold off cheaply, just to get rid of them, as the butcher doesn't want the fiddly work of removing the tendon. In other places, you will see them quite expensive, as the marketing cachet attached to the wording "tenderloin" starts to catch on so that a higher price can be charged for them. That is intended to be the trend.

-dave

BillyBuff

I don't care about the chicken strips...I just want that bread bowl back!

(Please don't mind the chicken strips in the background)
2084077893_73b8d5f228.jpg

maryszhi

With no disrespect, Disney have only changed the strips to nuggets, mostly just increasing the number of nuggets whilst making the size of the nuggets smaller. The decision has next to nothing to do with making them healthier, and several board members have reported that the taste of the nuggets is near-identical to the strips. There isn't really much of a fuss... certainly not 16 pages worth of fuss. People eat at many counter-service locations because of convenience; if one is hungry but doesn't wish to leave the park for an extended amount of time, one eats at a counter-service location. Eating off-property wastes precious vacation time whilst theme-parking. :shrug:
i understand, but the cost, as well as taste and quality have really gone down and i thought disney should change

maggiegrace1

I doubt Disney will change the cost at all..people will still pay whatever they charge.

I mean we all pay $2.50-$3.00 for a 20 oz coke that you can but for $1.09 at home.

Phonedave

I don't care about the chicken strips...I just want that bread bowl back!

(Please don't mind the chicken strips in the background)
2084077893_73b8d5f228.jpg

Now THAT i can agree with. I like to eat the bowl :) (or wear it as a hat) - but I am not going to worry that it's off the menu.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom