Characters in Flight opens Spring 2009 (with pics!)

Chadisa

This is a tethered balloon. It will not be like the balloons you are referring to at all. Basically, the thing will go up to some height stay in that same spot for a few minutes and than return to the platform. The end.

Yeah from the concept art it looks to be the same type of attraction we have here at the Philadelphia Zoo - http://www2.philadelphiazoo.org/zoo/Rides-and-more/Channel-6-Zooballoon.htm

At the zoo it costs $10 to ride and it's maybe a 5-10 minute ride where you go up (tethered by a super thick steel cable) and hang out pretty high up and you are able to walk around the basket to get different viewing angles,etc. I brought my 8 yr old nephew on it and he thought it was pretty cool.

I think it would be a quality, family friendly attraction to DtD. As mentioned before, it's a lot better than a bungee tower or something like that. Those types attractions seem to only attract the drunk frat boy type people :D

MKCP 1985

I don't see that anyone has posted any pictures . . . so here are a couple links

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disneyvillage/attractions/panoramagique/

2_image_3.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/xavdlp/panoramagique

48498619.IMG_4216.jpg

:wave:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I don't see that anyone has posted any pictures . . . so here are a couple links

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disneyvillage/attractions/panoramagique/

2_image_3.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/xavdlp/panoramagique

48498619.IMG_4216.jpg

:wave:
I did post a few, but they are linked to Screamscape which crashed, so the pictures have currently vanished. It appears the balloon on our version will be slightly different than the DLP version.

I personally think this offers a unique experience to guests (seeing the entire property from several hundred feet up) and will look much classier than the other up-charge options. It makes Disney money and I don't think it really detracts from the DTD experience.

grandmath

At DLRP, Panoramagique costs 12 € (app. 15$) per adult, and 9 for children under 12.

I am looking forward to this, the concept is good, but in Dlrp the view is beautiful as everything is centered around the ballon (hotels, parks, and Disney Village). WDW is far more spread out, so I'm not sure about the view up there... :lookaroun

Phonedave

I don't honestly have a problem with this. Does anyone expect imaginative, heavily themed rides at DTD? I don't. This is just a cool idea to me and I think the view of the entire property will be amazing. If I had to hazard a guess, $20/person. And yes, Screamscape appears to be down...again...

At the annual Fesitval of Ballooning in NJ, tethered balloon rides are $15 a person

(A full out fight with return in the chase vehicle is $200)

-dave

Disneyson 1

Well, it's using a now empty space for something now, at least, and it's not a store! I dunno, I kinda like the character designs! I wonder if there's going to be an "audio tour" feature that tells you where things are and music and stuff...

DTM93

Yeah I was thinking about if there would be an audio aswell.
I think it would be a good idea to see around the Disney property; even though everything is so spread out.

teebin

I think it will be an appropriate addition. As well, I believe it will increase foot traffic at DTD as people will see it in the sky from many locations within the world. You won't be able to miss it from Epcot's WS that is for sure. Smart business move.

Captain Hank

I would be concerned about it being a visual intrusion in that case. Not sure just how high it would need to go to be seen from the park.

Disneyfanman

You know, if I had to pick an attraction that fit the atmosphere of DTD now, or what I imagine it to be in the future, then this would be it. I think it fits like a well made glove. A baloon attraction like this would be out of place in the Theme Parks, but in DTD? Very fun and appropriate. Family friendly, colorful, and exciting. I look forward to the energy it brings. And I am sure that Disney will do it well.

NMBC1993

I am not sure about this new "attraction". I think once you spend 5 minutes riding in it and realize all there is to do now is eat and shop, people aren’t going to stay long. Although it would have been cool to go up in that thing and see the lights of PI.

dreamfinder

I would be concerned about it being a visual intrusion in that case. Not sure just how high it would need to go to be seen from the park.

Not that high. You can see the Dolphin/Swan from parts of Epcot if I remember correctly. And they are what, 15 stories high? I imagine the balloon is about the same height. Wonder how many people are going to be thrilled to have just spent $15 or so to stare at the roofs of concrete bunkers and realizing how unmagical backstage is at Disney.

Pongo

I don't really understand the attraction of a giant balloon. I mean, I really don't think the view would be all that amazing. You would be able to see DTD, Saratoga Springs, maybe Typhoon Lagoon? I can't see it going high enough to see much else.

I think the view you get from atop Expedition Everest would be superior.

I'm not against them putting it into DTD. It's not ruining any theme or anything. In fact, it will probably add some new and intereting visual dynamics to the landscape. It just seems like a sucker draw, to me. But then again, if the price is reasonable, I'll probably end up doing it myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom