Characters in Flight opens Spring 2009 (with pics!)

CaptainessKylie

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but they have this attraction at disneyland paris im pretty sure in the disney village. I think its a yellow and orange massive balloon, you get in, go up stay up there for a couple of minutes and come back down....i'm pretty sure thats it. never done it though!

jt04

I don't really understand the attraction of a giant balloon. I mean, I really don't think the view would be all that amazing. You would be able to see DTD, Saratoga Springs, maybe Typhoon Lagoon? I can't see it going high enough to see much else.

I think the view you get from atop Expedition Everest would be superior.

I'm not against them putting it into DTD. It's not ruining any theme or anything. In fact, it will probably add some new and intereting visual dynamics to the landscape. It just seems like a sucker draw, to me. But then again, if the price is reasonable, I'll probably end up doing it myself.

Seems to me the view will be similar to EE or ToT but will actually last long enough to enjoy it. I think it will be popular. If they add 5 or 6 of these type attractions they could sell them as a package. They could then sell books of tickets that have different values based on the scope and popularity of the ride. They could even give them individual letters to specify which is which. Perhaps letters A through E would work. :lookaroun

sillyspook13

db_2008_1211_Balloon11.jpg

Does anybody else think they look similar?:lookaroun
palm_jumeirah.jpg

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
If this is the view from the nearby Hilton, I would imagine the view will actually be pretty spectacular. WDW may be very spread out, but Central Florida is also very flat:
HiltonWDWDTDView.jpg

jt04

If this is the view from the nearby Hilton, I would imagine the view will actually be pretty spectacular. WDW may be very spread out, but Central Florida is also very flat:
HiltonWDWDTDView.jpg

I would imagine you will be a little higher than the photo shows. Florida being flat might actually make the vistas even more interesting. I bet you will be able to see at least 40 miles on a clear day. I am just glad we are at least finally getting something from the Paris resort.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I would imagine you will be a little higher than the photo shows. Florida being flat might actually make the vistas even more interesting. I bet you will be able to see at least 40 miles on a clear day. I am just glad we are at least finally getting something from the Paris resort.
yeah, I actually think it's a cool idea, and I would guess you actually won't be able to see it very much from the Theme Parks--they are far enough away that if you are below tree level, you won't see all the way over to DTD. The reason you can see the Dolphin from Epcot is b/c it's both over 250 ft. tall AND very close to the park.

jt04

yeah, I actually think it's a cool idea, and I would guess you actually won't be able to see it very much from the Theme Parks--they are far enough away that if you are below tree level, you won't see all the way over to DTD. The reason you can see the Dolphin from Epcot is b/c it's both over 250 ft. tall AND very close to the park.

The only park you might be able to see it from is Epcot's World Showcase and I would find that very Around-the-World-in-80-Days-esque! :)

bennyw01

hopefully this will be a little better than the dlrp edition, considering that over half the year in paris is below freezing going up that high in a balloon is never desirable, at least wdw has the weather on its side. beware low flying choppers :p

dazzer68

i dont mind the ida at all, more stuff any where is good news. we were going to do this a dlrp but it was closed as it was to windy to fly, but the location in paris is great as its so compact and the balloon flight was next to the magic kingdom park so youd have a great view and plenty of photo ops. but no sure what the view would be from dtd?
whats the betting its going to be the new dtd icon? ala castle@ mk, hat@studios etc. it needs one after all.

sittle

.... drifting...

.... I missed the memo... when did it become cool to say NOT again (ala Wayne's World).... ?

.... someone really needs to put an end to this...

This seems like a great idea to build. Not!!!!!!! Just another lame attraction at what is quickly becoming what was the Happiest Place on Earth.:snore:

jhastings74

Yeah I was thinking about if there would be an audio aswell.
I think it would be a good idea to see around the Disney property; even though everything is so spread out.

I would think the best bet would be for them to have a Cast Member act as a 'tour guide' while you are up in it...pointing out the obvious and then the not-so-obvious...those little details would be what would make it 'special' for the not-so-hardcore Disney guests that aren't in the know about the different backstage areas, etc...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It is a tethered balloon that will (according to announcements) go up 300 feet, 100 feet taller then Tower of Terror or the top of Everest. I'm with others who think this will actually fit Downtown Disney well. It would have fit even with PI's clubs still open. I imagine the view will actually be quite nice, as the views from some of the high-rise hotels in the area are very good as well.

As for admission, who knows. I'm at least hoping it'll be an option on the "Water Park and More" ticket for those who have it. But more likely, it'll be $20 or so per person.

harryk

The least that they could do to prevent it from being oh hummm is have the balloon match that which is atop the Muppet theatre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom