Changes at Pleasure Island won’t be finished until 2012

WDW Vacationer

I think PI was shut down because it was obselete.

Oh,I just remembered the stupid tain cars are still there. They were nice when they did something instead of rotting.

Mouse Detective

Where was it promised that everything would be completed by 2010? Legitimate question.

On 6.27.08 Orlando Attractions Magazine announced the closings and stated:
"Over the next year, the 120-acre entertainment-shopping-dining complex will add a number of one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences for guests." AND "Guests also will enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed over the next two years."

On 6.28.08 the Orlando Sentinel article announced the closings and stated:
"During the next couple of years, Disney will reopen the Pleasure Island venues with a broader mix of restaurants and shops."

From the Disney website:
Q. What new things will be coming to Pleasure Island?
A. We will bring an extraordinary mix of shopping, dining and other experiences to Pleasure Island and are currently considering unique concepts from around the globe. We look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months.

I guess nothing specifically says 2010 but the term "couple" in every context I know means 2. And 2 years from 2008 is 2010.

CaptainMichael

In that case, and at some point in the future, I shall me a HKDL guest, then.:xmas:

Care to join me?
At some point when we are both filthy rich lawyers!

You know, come to think of it, I'd love to hire the Adventurer's Club players to attend and stage a 2012 doomsday party. Hilarity would ensue I'm sure.

:lol:
Would be fun!

I just became very sad, seeing that they will never make jokes on that sort of thing.:(
Not so fast my friend, the actors and characters are still out for hire. See Congaloosh 2009 and now Congaloosh 2010. If you were having a wedding reception, you could also have them come. Disney allows anything as long as money is involved. Just won't be in the club.

jakeman

"Over the next year, the 120-acre entertainment-shopping-dining complex will add a number of one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences for guests." AND "Guests also will enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed over the next two years."

"During the next couple of years, Disney will reopen the Pleasure Island venues with a broader mix of restaurants and shops."

From the Disney website:
A. We will bring an extraordinary mix of shopping, dining and other experiences to Pleasure Island and are currently considering unique concepts from around the globe. We look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months.

I guess nothing specifically says 2010 but the term "couple" in every context I know means 2. And 2 years from 2008 is 2010.
That's what I thought.

Pretty much we have no information.

It doesn't appear anyone from Disney has ever been directly quoted as saying the project will be completed by 2010.

lazyboy97o

I think PI was shut down because it was obselete.
Sorry, but not every family includes little tikes who need to be in bed by 9:00. The entire resort is lacking in nighttime entertainment. The resort could really use something to do after the parks close at a far too early hour.

jt04

From the Disney website:

But......that was before the executive/management realignment and the new One Parks concept was implemented. It appears that anything that was not well along in the development process (SM refurb, SSE phase 1, Stitch Stage) it went back to the proverbial drawing board.

And the quantity over quality of the Eisner era continues to fade. If it isn't quality it doesn't get green lighted anymore. So I do think they had a good plan, although obviously it's getting a second look like everything else. They are actively fixing the long standing problems that everyone likes to whine about and still they whine. Weird. And a bit funny too. :lol:

lazyboy97o

But......that was before the executive/management realignment and the new One Parks concept was implemented. It appears that anything that was not well along in the development process (SM refurb, SSE phase 1, Stitch Stage) it went back to the proverbial drawing board.

And the quantity over quality of the Eisner era continues to fade. If it isn't quality it doesn't get green lighted anymore. So I do think they had a good plan, although obviously it's getting a second look like everything else. They are actively fixing the long standing problems that everyone likes to whine about and still they whine. Weird. And a bit funny too. :lol:
Still a bad idea because Disney is still left with the empty space over time that is dragging down potential rents.

EPCOT Explorer

At some point when we are both filthy rich lawyers!

Would be fun!

Not so fast my friend, the actors and characters are still out for hire. See Congaloosh 2009 and now Congaloosh 2010. If you were having a wedding reception, you could also have them come. Disney allows anything as long as money is involved. Just won't be in the club.
:drevil::ROFLOL::D Fun.

And that's very cool about Disney still allowing them to keep their roles. Now it's like the Adventurer's Traveling Troupe.

I will agree in full with this when I see several consecutive points of concrete proof, and the cutting stops.

jt04

Still a bad idea because Disney is still left with the empty space over time that is dragging down potential rents.

It's not like those buildings lend themselves to just any new venue. I think the plan has always been to tear down the one's that are not easily transitioned into something they were not specifically designed for. So I think CW, BC, Mannequins and the AC are not viable. And it won't be cheap or quick reconfiguring the infrastructure. PI was obviously not meant to be removed. But the reimagining just keeps on despite the complications of a weak economy. That is how I see it anyway.

CaptainMichael

:drevil::ROFLOL::D Fun.

And that's very cool about Disney still allowing them to keep their roles. Now it's like the Adventurer's Traveling Troupe.

It will be epic fun, and we will be legends:king:

It is cool, and yet, it is very sad at the same time. I know they love performing their roles though.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You know, I seem to remember the old Soviet Union used to have 5-year plans for their economic planning and future. That didn't work out so well in the end. Here's to hoping WDW actually has a plan in place to get PI improved.........

EPCOT Explorer

It will be epic fun, and we will be legends:king:

It is cool, and yet, it is very sad at the same time. I know they love performing their roles though.
:cool:

Yeah, I gotcha. At least they are still around, you know? LOT of opportunity there.

"The project is expected to be completed in 2012.”

Okay, so when is it expected to be started?

You know, I seem to remember the old Soviet Union used to have 5-year plans for their economic planning and future. That didn't work out so well in the end. Here's to hoping WDW actually has a plan in place to get PI improved.........
These two posts: Win.:lol::sohappy:

71jason

I don't buy into the popular myth that PI made money. Now if you only look at PI on it's own, yes it could probably be said it was profitable. But when you add in the problems and external costs of PI, my guess is it was a "break even" proposition at best.

Between the traffic it drove away at night and extra liability and security costs, closing it may have been the best choice.

And I'll tell you PI fans biggest fear. That the new configuration will be embraced by families and all of DTD will be packed as the marketplace always is. Trust me, it will work and work well if families are the primary audience.

Security costs have not gone down since the clubs closed. Same number of security guards and O.C. deputies (although look even more bored than they did before). And how much traffic could it have steered away when the clubs did not even open until 9:00? There were only two hours of overlap with the rest of DTD, and crowds rarely materialized in the last few years before 11:00.

For the record, I would welcome anything truly "Disney." But your whole dream is based on one sentence in a press release, JT. There is no indication WDW wants the new PI to be "family-friendly" and plenty of evidence to the contrary.

EPCOT Explorer

Security costs have not gone down since the clubs closed. Same number of security guards and O.C. deputies (although look even more bored than they did before). And how much traffic could it have steered away when the clubs did not even open until 9:00? There were only two hours of overlap with the rest of DTD, and crowds rarely materialized in the last few years before 11:00.

For the record, I would welcome anything truly "Disney." But your whole dream is based on one sentence in a press release, JT. There is no indication WDW wants the new PI to be "family-friendly" and plenty of evidence to the contrary.

I think that just summed up everything. Well done.

jt04

It was not always a 9:00 opening. They reduced the hours because it did drive people away.

What is your source for saying security costs have not gone down? Please post a link.

As for making the island formally known as PI and all of DTD more accessible to families, I think you might want to make a quick stop at the new T-Rex or LMM or the balloon ride or Trend-D. The island formally known as PI has no new new tenants because I strongly suspect Disney never intended to keep those facilities (except 37). I can't prove it but time will. The new island will not drive families away.

Disney eliminated bands from HoB because of adult content. They closed PI's clubs for a reason. Please let's stick to the realities of what we actually see happening and not what you want to see happen. Two different things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom