Changes at Pleasure Island won’t be finished until 2012

DisneyCanadian

As JT alluded too, Disney is headed towards a more family friendly area. So MILF could work, again, as I said before it does have potential. They'd obviously have to work with the script they have now, but I think it could be a win win situation. It also does get MILF out of TL.

It doesn't have to be MILF, but it is an idea. Perhaps have a rotating schedule, Mondays and Wednesdays MILF, Tuesdays and Thursdays something else, etc etc.

On top of becoming more family friendly, I think they want to push and market specific franchises.

magicmaya

Here, have some popcorn.

party0052.gif

yum yum :lookaroun:lol:

lazyboy97o

The Monsters show seems possible to me because it promotes a Disney franchise unlike the original comedy warehouse. And, more importantly, it is familiy friendly. And that seems to be the direction they have decided to go. They could even have the shows be G rated during the day and early evening and create edgier shows for adults later in the evening. I really think it could work well.

I think they held back a lot of possibilities at D23 largely due to the uncertainties of the economy.
Children were admitted to both the Adventurer's Club and the Comedy Club Warehouse, so long as they were accompanied by an adult over 21.

MadHatterJr

I don't remember anything about the previous clubs being non-child friendly. After all , it was still disney, and if there were performers in a venue, weather it be the jungle cruise or Comedy Warehouse, they have to watch what they say.

lazyboy97o

I don't remember anything about the previous clubs being non-child friendly. After all , it was still disney, and if there were performers in a venue, weather it be the jungle cruise or Comedy Warehouse, they have to watch what they say.
I do not believe the dance clubs ever allowed children inside, so from that angle they are not family friendly (so long as your definition of family only includes children under 18-21).

jt04

I think what happened was that there was content in some of the venues that certainly was not "family friendly". Namely from some of the talent at the HoB. That controversy caused a reexamination of everything at DTD. Including the music at the clubs etc. And it appears management decided to take DTD in a more inclusive direction. Namely content that can be enjoyed by everyone of any age.

Of course, I think they could open a PI type zone somewhere on property. But it should not be mixed with attractions meant for children. That would be bad show. IMO.

CaptainMichael

I think what happened was that there was content in some of the venues that certainly was not "family friendly". Namely from some of the talent at the HoB. That controversy caused a reexamination of everything at DTD. Including the music at the clubs etc. And it appears management decided to take DTD in a more inclusive direction. Namely content that can be enjoyed by everyone of any age.

Of course, I think they could open a PI type zone somewhere on property. But it should not be mixed with attractions meant for children. That would be bad show. IMO.

And yet HoB was not part of PI...

tirian

:brick:

Why are people still discussing why PI closed?

BTW, without giving away too much information, JT04 is very close to the reason PI was abandoned, then shut down. But HoB was only the beginning.

tirian

Oh, no. On this issue it isn't open at all. Never was and never will be.
It's very cut and dry, black and white.
DTD without AC is worthless. Anything they build in it's place will not be worth my time, and will be an insult to Adventurers everywhere.
Seriously. I don't care if they are handing out chocolate candy wrapped in $100 bills. If it ain't AC....they can just keep it.
IMHO, of course...

AC is the only part of PI I want back, too. As for the rest of it...eh, let's be honest with ourselves. The Marketplace really does need to be expanded.

71jason

The 21+ requirement on the dance clubs came fairly late in PI's history, following a major blow-up at Motion involving underage CPs getting into a big fight. In fairness, WDW had turned a blind eye to underage drinkers (especially CPs) in Motion for a while before that, really ever since Sunday/Thursday admission for CMs went to 7-night-a-week admission (the last year and a half to 2 years the clubs were open).* I think the change to HoB's booking process came even later, tho

While children were technically allowed in all the clubs except Mannequins for much of PI's existance, I don't recall it being an issue when the turnstiles were up (and, I suppose, before "Magic Your Way" became a buzzword)--everyone needed a ticket, and few parents were going to shel out $20 to get their kid in. I supposed the turnstiles served as a psychological barrier to bringing kids, as well. And even in the Island's latter days, children were so rare in any of the clubs other than the AdvClub that the issue seems pretty minor.

JT, I actually agree with you, any nighttime entertainment area should be at least 18+, preferably 21+. But I still don't see how a restaurant built around a literal shrine to tequila, a cigar bar, and Raglan are a "family-friendly" direction. 3rd party yes, family-friendly no.

* As an aside, and I know I am opening a can of worms here, but allowing CMs 7 nights a week of free access was probably the second biggest negative change to PI after the turnstiles being removed. A lot of the clubs transformed, not for the better. Motion became an underage drinking paradise for the residents of Vista Lay. Most of the shows at Comedy Warehouse became more "inside baseball" than the average tourist could understand. And the Adventurers Club was "Rocky Horrorized" to a point where it became a lot less funny and accessible to first-time visitors.

jt04

The 21+ requirement on the dance clubs came fairly late in PI's history, following a major blow-up at Motion involving underage CPs getting into a big fight. In fairness, WDW had turned a blind eye to underage drinkers (especially CPs) in Motion for a while before that, really ever since Sunday/Thursday admission for CMs went to 7-night-a-week admission (the last year and a half to 2 years the clubs were open).* I think the change to HoB's booking process came even later, tho

While children were technically allowed in all the clubs except Mannequins for much of PI's existance, I don't recall it being an issue when the turnstiles were up (and, I suppose, before "Magic Your Way" became a buzzword)--everyone needed a ticket, and few parents were going to shel out $20 to get their kid in. I supposed the turnstiles served as a psychological barrier to bringing kids, as well. And even in the Island's latter days, children were so rare in any of the clubs other than the AdvClub that the issue seems pretty minor.

JT, I actually agree with you, any nighttime entertainment area should be at least 18+, preferably 21+. But I still don't see how a restaurant built around a literal shrine to tequila, a cigar bar, and Raglan are a "family-friendly" direction. 3rd party yes, family-friendly no.

* As an aside, and I know I am opening a can of worms here, but allowing CMs 7 nights a week of free access was probably the second biggest negative change to PI after the turnstiles being removed. A lot of the clubs transformed, not for the better. Motion became an underage drinking paradise for the residents of Vista Lay. Most of the shows at Comedy Warehouse became more "inside baseball" than the average tourist could understand. And the Adventurers Club was "Rocky Horrorized" to a point where it became a lot less funny and accessible to first-time visitors.

Thank you and I think you have explained more in this post than any other posts on PI's demise to this point. As PI fades and it's replacements come on line people will understand the decision. Steve posted the the DTD parking was almost full yesterday. If they add something on the scale of an ESPNZone or a store/attraction that features Marvel, I think a full parking lot would be a regular occurance. Disney could probably even install validated parking at that point and eventually parking garages. DTD at WDW is just beginning. :)

nibblesandbits

Oh JT....

If only you could see...

The closure of PI is almost wholy money related.

It has very little to do with wanting kid friendly venues. If it did, they would have some sort of kid friendly venue there now. Now, all you see is a Harley Davidson shop, a Restaurant that primarily features tequila, and another restaurant which prominently features an Irish Pub. Sure kids can come in, but it's not the target audience for these locations.

What it comes down to, 100% is that Disney owned all the clubs in Pleasure Island. They decided they didn't want to spend anymore of their money on the area, because they knew they could get more profits if they had 3rd party stores and restaurants come in to sell their wares.

Does it suck for those of us who loved PI the way it was? Heck yes. And it still saddens me to my ultimate core that they decided to remove one of my favorite places in the world (not just Walt Disney World either. The entire actual world!)

However, right now (or at least as of, Sept. 2008), all Disney sees (which was stupid because they picked an EXTREMELY bad time to try to accomplish it, what with the economy being in the toilet and all) is $$$. Disney gets money from the {potential} rent they'll recieve on the properties and they don't have to supply their own merchandise, food, or Cast Members to the area to acomplish getting the money. End of story. And, in Disney's eyes, a win for them.

So it's not really about wanting more "family friendly" fare that has anything to do with it. It's about the benjamins.

jt04

Oh JT....

If only you could see...

The closure of PI is almost wholy money related.

It has very little to do with wanting kid friendly venues.

What it comes down to, 100% is that Disney owned all the clubs in Pleasure Island. They decided they didn't want to spend anymore of their money on the area, because they knew they could get more profits if they had 3rd party stores and restaurants come in to sell their wares.

Does it suck for those of us who loved PI the way it was? Heck yes. And it still saddens me to my ultimate core that they decided to remove one of my favorite places in the world (not just Walt Disney World either. The entire actual world!)

However, right now (or at least as of, Sept. 2008), all Disney sees (which was stupid because they picked an EXTREMELY bad time to try to accomplish it, what with the economy being in the toilet and all) is $$$. Disney gets money from the {potential} rent they'll recieve on the properties and they don't have to supply their own merchandise, food, or Cast Members to the area to acomplish getting the money. End of story. And, in Disney's eyes, a win for them.

There's not an inch of wanting more "family friendly" fare that has anything to do with it. And if that's seriously what you believe, you need to take another hard look. It is all about the benjamins.

I agree that people invest in Disney to make a profit. I'm not sure I see the problem with that. In fact, that motivation is responsible for your standard of living. Disney also would not exist. If PI was a successful (and profitable) as some here would have us believe, then Disney would be turning DTD into one giant expanded PI rather than the more family friendly facility it is evolving into. If it was "all about the benjamins" that is.

Oh n&b's.....if only you could see how utterly simplistic you are making this rather complex issue. If Disney was only interested in making money without creating something the public wants, they would have gone out of business decades ago. And there never would have been a PI for you to have memories of.:wave:

nibblesandbits

I agree that people invest in Disney to make a profit. I'm not sure I see the problem with that. In fact, that motivation is responsible for your standard of living. Disney also would not exist. If PI was a successful (and profitable) as some here would have us believe, then Disney would be turning DTD into one giant expanded PI rather than the more family friendly facility it is evolving into. If it was "all about the benjamins" that is.

Oh n&b's.....if only you could see how utterly simplistic you are making this rather complex issue. If Disney was only interested in making money without creating something the public wants, they would have gone out of business decades ago. And there never would have been a PI for you to have memories of.:wave:
Soemtimes it can be quite simple. Not everything has to be convoluted and multi-faceted. Sure, they may have been other factors that were thought of and brought up, but really money is a pretty big deciding factor. And a simple one.

And yes, I understand that money is quite important and that certain areas didn't do so well, however, there were certain areas of the island that did do well. (Why else would they have had special nights where people could rent out the Adv. Club? The only place that EVER seemed to be rented out after the clubs all closed. And why were those events that were open to the public to buy into completely sold out?)

I just do not see, espeically with the way the situation is right now, a specific "family friendly" area being built. And it certainly doesn't seem like Disney would be moving in the drection of including specific exclusive family friendly fare. I still see them appealing mostly to 3rd party vendors, which techically has nothing to do with trying to be family friendly. Purely a money related issue. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a fact. I have always said Disney is a buisness and will do what they want. Still sucks for me though in the Adv. Club going away.)

If I see them build something that specifically targets kids in this "bold new vision" and not something that inadvertantly targets kids, but specifically wholely targets the family nature that isn't a restaurant or store, I'll eat my hat. But right now, I can't see them adding anything in that area that isn't one of those two things. There may be nothing wrong with adding said things, but to me, it certainly isn't a "bold new vision" that they keep touting. Just more of the same and not on their dime.

jt04

Soemtimes it can be quite simple. Not everything has to be convoluted and multi-faceted. Sure, they may have been other factors that were thought of and brought up, but really money is a pretty big deciding factor. And a simple one.

And yes, I understand that money is quite important and that certain areas didn't do so well, however, there were certain areas of the island that did do well. (Why else would they have had special nights where people could rent out the Adv. Club? The only place that EVER seemed to be rented out after the clubs all closed. And why were those events that were open to the public to buy into completely sold out?)

I just do not see, espeically with the way the situation is right now, a specific "family friendly" area being built. And it certainly doesn't seem like Disney would be moving in the drection of including specific exclusive family friendly fare. I still see them appealing mostly to 3rd party vendors, which techically has nothing to do with trying to be family friendly. Purely a money related issue. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a fact. I have always said Disney is a buisness and will do what they want. Still sucks for me though in the Adv. Club going away.)

If I see them build something that specifically targets kids in this "bold new vision" and not something that inadvertantly targets kids, but specifically wholely targets the family nature that isn't a restaurant or store, I'll eat my hat. But right now, I can't see them adding anything in that area that isn't one of those two things. There may be nothing wrong with adding said things, but to me, it certainly isn't a "bold new vision" that they keep touting. Just more of the same and not on their dime.

I think "bold and new" was only used once. But I can certainly think of plenty of ideas myself that would fit that desription. The balloon was a nice start. (They just opened a very similar attraction in Vegas BTW).

Don't throw dirt on the AC yet. I still believe it is coming back in some form to WDW. And, for what it is worth, I thought the AC should remain. I am witholding final judgement until I see the bulk of the redevelopment of DTD. Who knows? Maybe someday I will agree with you......or you with me.:shrug:

nibblesandbits

I think "bold and new" was only used once. But I can certainly think of plenty of ideas myself that would fit that desription. The balloon was a nice start. (They just opened a very similar attraction in Vegas BTW).

Don't throw dirt on the AC yet. I still believe it is coming back in some form to WDW. And, for what it is worth, I thought the AC should remain. I am witholding final judgement until I see the bulk of the redevelopment of DTD. Who knows? Maybe someday I will agree with you......or you with me.:shrug:
It was still used to describe what they had in mind for the area...and that's what we have to go by, since there's obviously no new information out there. And I'm sorry, but I just don't see them adding anything more than restaurants and shops to the area, neither of which are bold are new. Even if they "spiced" up the restaurant or shop with creative theming, ala T-Rex...it's still a ho-hum restaurant. Not bold or new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom